Vogue México & Latin America February 2019 : Lineisy Montero & Eiza González

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by jorgepalomo, Jan 23, 2019.

1. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

2. Ed..

Ed.. cape cod kwassa kwassa!

"You know what, let's put a mandarin orange on the table."

3. Perickles

Perickles Well-Known Member

I like it much better than Vogue Spain. I like the colors especially.

4. apple

apple Well-Known Member

Beautiful and romantic!
    I think this cover follows the same style of the brilliant January cover with Yalitza which is great because I love their mood and colors. Good job at Vogue Mexico!

Perickles, CocoM and Riseup like this.
  5. bluebanter

bluebanter Active Member

Not a great cover, but at least its one of the rare times Lineisy looks as beautiful in print as she does in real life. Such a beauty.

6. Riseup

Riseup Well-Known Member

Stuuuning cover, her best one to date. The styling is exquisite and her pose looks very subtle and tasteful. Bravo Vogue Mexico.

guimon, Perickles and apple like this.
  7. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Definitely Lineisy's best attempt at print modelling to date. The faults lie with the photographer and magazine team. Shot should've been cropped a bit more, her torso slightly more erect in order for us to get a decent glimpse of the look, and either put decent size mandarin on the table, or leave it out.

Karla has emerged as the unlikely champion of Latina models, sort of in the same way Daniela Falcao helped mould Brazilian models into powerhouses at the homefront. I wonder how popular Vogue is in the Carribean considering the recent covers reflect that strip so perfectly.

Latin American culture is so complex yet interesting for me. In the latest NY Times article on Yalitza, Karla said that she was worried her readers would turn on her for giving Yalitza the cover. Apparently one of Yalitza's previous shoots courted a lot of vitriol. Yet there's not a month which passes without an Afro Latina in or on the cover. Is it because they're fashion models and therefore regarded as the upper crust? Who knows.

Bahiyya, ivano and ghostwriter10549 like this.
  8. fer19dog

fer19dog Well-Known Member

She looks absolutely gorgeous, her besttt one yet!! Vogue Mexico has been killing it. Two great covers back to back.

Bahiyya, Perickles and apple like this.
  9. IndigoHomme

IndigoHomme Well-Known Member

Vogue México: Eiza González by Ben Hasset

[​IMG]

Vogue vía Twitter

10. dfl-001

dfl-001 Well-Known Member

It looks effortless.
    And Lineisy looks beautiful.
    I'm all for this.

Perickles likes this.
  11. ivano

ivano Well-Known Member

Love the one for Latin America! This is her 3rd cover, looks like a sequel to the september issue of 2017. I'm sure that Lineisy and Andreea Diaconu are Karla's faves.

12. Joromana

Joromana Member

Love Lineisy's cover! I love this direction! It looks fresh, it looks appropriate, and stylish all at once.

I really like Eisa but that cover just looks... DATED. I don't know how else to put it.

I think it's pretty complicated but partly yes, to your last comment.

Joan Smalls was the first Afro-Latina (that I can recall) on the cover of Vogue Mexico/LA and that was already after she had become hugely successful in the US and been featured in/on Vogue US. Afro-Latina models have had an easier time finding success in Latin America because of the US (and even Brazil) having used those models within their own markets.

Indigenous models/people are a different story.

Even though Mexico and some other Latin American countries are mostly mixed-race with indigenous ancestry, it is still a 'dirty word.' Whether it be due to colonialist ideals or only white Latin Americans in power, before the last couple of years, you would rarely see an indigenous person featured anywhere. For example, Juana Burga is an indigenous Peruvian model who has even walked for Rodarte yet has never been featured on the cover of Vogue Mexico or LA. She had a film released last year but barely any attention.

Fashion is changing a lot due to social media. It isn't 'aspirational' in the sense that people 'aspire' to be white. The most successful brands are representational. I think Vogue is smart with employing this strategy. Slowly but surely.

13. zacatecas570

zacatecas570 Well-Known Member

Eiza’s cover is fantastic!!!

14. Morgane07

Morgane07 Active Member

Lineisy and Eiza look stunning, I love their makeup. I like both covers. Not blown away but quite nice.

15. EstefaniaAbaddon

EstefaniaAbaddon Well-Known Member

The first cover is beautiful. It's romantic, it's simple, it's fresh. She looks so calm, it's soothing.

Side note: the mandarin orange actually fits perfectly. She is clearly in a greenhouse and she is wearing a farmers hat. It reminds me of my visits to the farms when you would sit on the wood tables with all kinds of small fruits around that fell from the baskets.

Benn98 and Ken Doll Jenner like this.
  16. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

Actually, Joan, Yssauny Brito and Lineisy are the only afro-latina models that had been in the cover... and all of them in the last 4 years.

ivano likes this.
  17. ivano

ivano Well-Known Member

I remember Cora Emmanuel (french model, but she was the face of the cuban issue), Dilone and Luisana Gonzaléz. Half of the latin covers, in 2017, was with black models. Adwoa and Yasmin comes to my mind too. VLatam/Mx is more diverse than any other edition of Vogue at this point. By the way, I miss that Joan issue! :cry: The styling and the photographer were terrible, but it was a nice edition on the inside. Joan Smalls by Gilles Bensimon was so beautiful.

Benn98 likes this.
  18. ghostwriter10549

ghostwriter10549 Well-Known Member

When I saw Lineisy's name I was ready for a flat cover, but girl, you did it! Well done, another home run to Vogue Mexico.

ivano likes this.
  19. DK92

DK92 Member

Lineisy's cover is beautiful!

ivano likes this.
  20. burbuja8910

burbuja8910 Well-Known Member

I like the Lineisy's cover, it's just beautiful & flawless. Sadly than is the Latin American's cover & Eiza looks bored.

ivano likes this.