Vogue Japan - The Cover Archive

January: Sasha Pivovarova by Patrick Demarchelier
February: Rinko Kikuchi by Tom Craig
March: Natalia Vodianova by Patrick Demarchelier
April: Vanessa Moody, Amanda Murphy, Lexi Boling, Suvi Koponen, Binx Walton, Liu Wen, Daria Strokous, Ondria Hardin, Natalie Westling, Malaika Firth, Sam Rollinson, Issa Lish, Jamie Bochert, Maartje Verhoef & Chiharu Okunugi by Luigi + Iango
May: Lèa Seydoux by Paolo Roversi
June: Natasha Poly by Giampaolo Sgura
July: Rosie Huntington-Whiteley by Giampaolo Sgura
August: Jamie Bochert, Joan Smalls, Mica Arganaraz, Akimoto Kozue, Jessica Chastain, Kendall Jenner, Riccardo Tisci & Kanye West by Luigi + Iango
September: Katy Perry by Giampaolo Sgura
October: Caroline Trentini by Giampaolo Sgura
November: Kendall Jenner by Luigi + Iango
December: Freja Beha Erichsen by Patrick Demarchelier

models.com & amazon.co.jp

Rinko's cover ended up the best of the lot, and Katy and Kendall's the worst. I see they had 4 celebrity covers in one year, that's a lot for VJ!

VJ lost it. These covers are laughable. Even ELLE Japan and their reprints produce better quality covers than this. This magazine is dead.

The best one is Natalia's and no one comes close. The worst cover for 2014 is better than all the other covers for 2015!

Sgura killed this magazine.

VJ 2013 & 2014 were pretty good covers, but 2015 was a complete let down.

Rinko is clearly the standout and the best cover along with Rosie. Everyone else's kind of looks like test shots.

August 2002 : Shalom Harlow by Tim Walker
is my favorite cover which i found a copy in a Secondhand bookshop in Japan and immediately fell in love! also at that time they still had an ed connected to the cover which is really beautiful too!

also love November 2007 : Tanya Dziahileva by Craig McDean (the black works so well here) and March 2007 : Vlada Roslyakova by Craig McDean

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still an admirer of Natalia Vodianova's cover from back in March, which took me back to the good old McDean/Inez & Vinoodh days of Vogue Nippon. Natasha's cover was a winner for me too, loved how glam and Versace-esque it turned out.

January: Jourdan Dunn by Giampaolo Sgura
February: Doutzen Kroes by Patrick Demarchelier
March: Fernanda Ly by Ezra Petronio
April: Edie Campbell by Luigi & Iango
May: Natasha Poly by Luigi & Iango
June: Binx Walton by Giampaolo Sgura
July: Mica Arganaraz by Richard Burbridge
August: Irina Shayk by Giampaolo Sgura
September: Bella Hadid by Giampaolo Sgura
October: Kendall Jenner by Luigi & Iango
November: Grace Hartzel by Patrick Demarchelier
December: Gigi Hadid by Luigi & Iango

womenmanagement.com & fr., viva-paris.com, dnamodels.com, wearesodroee.tumblr.com, imgmodels.com & amazon.jp

Most are tragic. I preferred the I&V/McDean era.

Grace, Gigi, and Bella. The rest are horrible and those fonts hurt my eyes. Do they not have an art director?! No one can possibly be being paid to come up with that mess right?!

Irina and Gigi's covers were my favorites from this year.

Covers are all forgettable and one Japanese model made the cover this year!

Natasha seems to get a cover every year. Is she a big seller?

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ooops. I swore she was Japanese.

Well 2016 = no Japanese model on the cover of VJ

^^^ooops. I swore she was Japanese.

Well 2016 = no Japanese model on the cover of VJ

They don't care for Japanese girls on the cover, but inside I've seen loads all year.

I actually think the best for me was Binx, Bella, and Grace. The Binx cover is really cool because it only works for them. The worst of the lot was Doutzen (those eyes!), Edie (horrible outfit), Kendall (dead expression), and Mica (big head, small torso).

Overall, in terms of diversity, they've surpassed UK Vogue, for instance, which is great in my books!

Pathetic line up of covers, with Mica's as the absolute worst nightmare. And Gigi, Kendall, Bella... puhlease.

I only like November.

Can't believe it's this time of the year again! Thank you, burbuja8910.

Quite a half-decent year for Vogue Japan actually. I only bought Natasha Poly's cover this time round (for obvious reasons) and plan on buying Gigi's when it comes out here. Those two covers are my favourites from 2016, without a doubt. Although I really did fall in love with Bella Hadid's cover since it was just so.. perfect and polished.

^You're very welcome, vogue 28 :flower: , i guess than the Hadid sisters have the best covers of that year & the other are just boring... :ermm:

Gigi, Bella, Grace, Natasha, and Jourdan. The rest, meh.

Can Vogue Japan stick with the white background covers. Every single time do a different background cover, it ends up being one of the worst covers they've had. Case in point: Fernanda's and Kendall's

The white background is their identity. The white background is not what's wrong with the magazine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nngocdiem
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->