Vogue Paris August 2012 : Marion Cotillard by Mario Sorrenti

Very pretty cover, love a good beauty shot, but unsure if it beats last August's cover...

I like the concept of the cover but something is lacking in the execution. It is not terrible, but Marion looks like she is poking her eye out. You would think that the person directing the photoshoot would see that on the monitor (presumably this is shot digitally) and make an adjustment.

I like the make up and Marion's eyes look beautiful.

Terrible cover shot. She looks like she has a migraine!

I will never understand the choice of cover shots,
or the editorial content for that matter, under Alt. There is always something off about the cover shots in particular though. Carine knew how to curate a seriously superb collection of photographs. Alt's ouevre is all over the place. She makes a rather shocking editor to be completely frank, and this cover shot is testament to that.
I agree with the parts that I bolded, although I suspect that my feelings are less strong than yours. I am not calling for Alt's dismissal but this is an area that she really needs to improve upon, whether she does it herself or hires someone to assist her, but her "eye" for the right images seems off to me. Many of the images are "almosts" and presumably there are either better images on the roll that are not being selected, or the directing at the photoshoots is lacking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it. Who better to represent French women than Marion?

Meah...I agree with the person that said that it would work better with strong lipstick. Anyway, I'm just glad a new VP is out.

Parisien Woman spread sounds good in theory, tho based on previous experience styling-wise and also regarding the image curation I'm afraid the outcome won't be as prominent. Like same old things keep reappearing in issue after issue... And that goes for the model cast as well. Again, an editorial full of potential for me is easily ruined by the overused and somewhat unappropriate choice in models.
At least I have interviews to look forward to...

I do love Marion Cotillard, but this is her third sub-par cover cover this month! And it's weird because I think she can photograph so well, but the photographers have decided to just be as boring as they can with her. This cover, her US Vogue cover, and her UK Marie Claire cover are the definition of uninspired.

Parisien Woman spread sounds good in theory, tho based on previous experience styling-wise and also regarding the image curation I'm afraid the outcome won't be as prominent. Like same old things keep reappearing in issue after issue... And that goes for the model cast as well. Again, an editorial full of potential for me is easily ruined by the overused and somewhat unappropriate choice in models.
At least I have interviews to look forward to...

Agreed.

And in keeping with the French theme, why not use French models as well? It seems strange to me not to.

can they move on from the one-page-one-brand editorial type? it's so lazy and cliche.:sick:

Moderator Reminder: Let's stick to commenting on the actual magazine cover and contents, thoughtfully please!, and not addressing each other as two sides, everyone is entitled to their opinions. Further comments and empty posts will be removed at moderator discretion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, 3 major covers for Marion so far for August! Her reps sure are doing their job and why not, she's an absolutely beautiful and talented actress. Congrats to her!!

Personally as much as I love seeing models on the cover than the next person I just think it's time Vogue Paris departed from that whole scheme. I would LOVE to see more french celebrities in addition to some internationally well known stars (Angelina Jolie, for example). French Vogue obviously hasn't been the same and for a lot the members on here it clearly irritates the cracker jacks out of you! Emmanuel has just been under Vogue Paris for over a year now, it's bound to take her some more time to really captivate the readers. And honestly I don't expect Carine's new magazine to over achieve what Vogue Paris is capable of.

I agree with some members who said Emmanuelle's cover choices always seem to be off, but I think she does this purposefully. I remember reading an interview she gave early on when she was first appointed EIC where she stated that she likes looks that don't look so pulled-together. She likes them to have one thing that's a bit off, something that doesn't look quite right. So maybe she just doesn't want perfection. While I like that idea I just don't think that Emmanuelle pulls it off very often. On this particular cover she is saved by the fact that Marion's face is a work of art. If it were, say, Arizona Muse or someone less attractive than Marion, the cover would be crap.

i love marion so always happy to see her on the cover but i really don't like the image they chose! surely there was a better shot for the cover? anyway looking forward to seeing the inside contents.

can they move on from the one-page-one-brand editorial type? it's so lazy and cliche.:sick:
I know, right? Not sure if they do this to save money, but even if they do, it's not a good thing anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anka xx
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->