Vogue Paris August 2019 : Kate Moss by Inez van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by jorgepalomo, Jul 15, 2019.

1. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Vogue Paris’ IG team currently getting called out for deleting all the negative comments underneath this cover on Instagram, which we’ve all known them to do with previous covers too (even blocking certain followers). Out of 160+ comments now, I’ve came across two negatives.

KateTheGreatest, kasper! and Benn98 like this.
  2. KissMiss

KissMiss Well-Known Member

You mean the scenes in the beginning of the film? I love that film so much that I am slightly offended by the comparison :-D

3. MON

MON Well-Known Member

To be honest, they should just devote their time in producing quality content than going through the effort of deleting each and every negative comment there is.

At this point, all hands on deck is more than required

4. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Hahaha, that's why I cannot take Instagram commentary serious. People only want praises and fawning on there. Can you imagine if someone would dare to criticise the magazine as Scully does with American Vogue? And actually, that person would have a field day with VP's consistently tacky and childish art direction. Alt will sink into a bout of depression.

5. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

Hate the cover. Especially how her lips look.

But I’m excited by an entire issue shot by I&V.

6. TommysBaby

TommysBaby Active Member

Aquaria would've been a more fresh choice.

guimon likes this.
  7. KissMiss

I don’t understand why people keep joking about drag queens here? Some of them actually look better than Kate on this photo. Why use this part of people’s identity which sometimes is expressed in a form of art as a diminishing reference of comparison? Lots of them have more talent than any model could dream of. Do we not have enough adjectives or adverbs? I just find it sloppy, lazy and disrespectful.

8. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

Maybe she doesn't resemble the ultra-polished professionals we see these days, but I'd reckon Kate does a good impression of the more traditional form of drag queen that used to be seen in the UK.

I wonder if anyone will retain that style for Drag Race UK, or will everyone be striving to be as slick as seen in the American version.

9. zacatecas570

zacatecas570 Well-Known Member

Terrible cover.

dfl-001 likes this.
  10. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

In defense of some comments about drag queens: Why people think the use of (some) drag references to compare the covers is a joke/insult? Example, I made a comparison between Kate and Aquaria because she looks exactly the same with that make up/filter, not because I use Aquaria as an insult (if you see my profile picture, surprise! Is Aquaria). Same with the Bazaar cover with Rihanna and even Ariel's Love cover from last year.

KissMiss likes this.
  11. WilliamsLe010919

WilliamsLe010919 Active Member

looks like a picture of wax Kate Moss in Madame Tussauds

12. burbuja8910

burbuja8910 Well-Known Member

This cover is so sad, Kate looks terrible & the effects ruins the entry image.

Through, wait to see the whole issue.

13. ErnstLudwig

ErnstLudwig Member

Indeed!
    Well, you can be inspired by something great and turn it into ****. In fact, IMHO, this is the motto of this decade...

KissMiss likes this.
  14. russianelf

russianelf Well-Known Member

I think the problem is rather the 'she looks like a man' - such a tired insult! So yikes to all these comments in this thread.

Anyway, not the best shot, hate the blur. When are they going to show us the REAL Kate? She still looks stunning even with all signs of her age not blurred to hell and back.

But the starry masthead is intriguing me. It's fun!

15. Mercury6181

Mercury6181 Member

This cover is awful, the red filter, the stars, the blurriness, it’s all so overwhelming and too much!!
    I’m excited to see the rest of the content though. I know it’ll probably just be studio shoots with a 60’s/70’s/80’s styling but it would be super cool to have a edit where it’s on location and seems like it’s during those decades, like in Woodstock for a 60’s themed editorial! I’m most definitely getting my hopes up though :(

16. KissMiss

I actually didn't mean your comment as it only said that she looked like Aquaria... but there were few here and there that were not very nice... the worst was about the drug abuse which I believe was deleted. I just think here we really have a chance not to turn into some sort of vicious commentators that the internet is infested with. I don't mind people making jokes or being a bit harsh. In fact, I love when comments include both of these elements but I think sometimes it goes overboard. I think as truly passionate people we can express our opinions without being offensive or too offensive. I am sure one way or another we can offend someone sometimes.

17. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

I was wondering the other day - while the internet has become a useful part of people's lives, it also has many elements that society may come to believe we'd be better off not participating in.

Social media (and 'two-way' communication) may seem omnipresent at the moment - but there's no guarantee that this will continue. If people come to regard certain aspects of online participation as unhealthy, then eventually the trend may slowly veer back to more traditional forms of communicating (and consuming) information.

In that case, would we see a return of print media? Would the titles who have been able to hang on flourish in some new form?

Everything we think and feel follows trends over the years and decades - how we view gender and sexuality, how we view the world of work, how we eat and how we should look... how we use the internet will be no different, and the longer it's around, the more we'll realise this. "Progress" can sometimes mean stepping away from what society has created.

18. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Well-Known Member

It's very possible. If someone is brave enough to break-up the big tech companies that contribute to print's declining penetration (FB and Google), more advertisers would realize that without the sources of data and integrated optimization, they wouldn't really matter much. What often gets lost in the conversation about the rise of social media is media buying. Sure, advertisers decided to invest in IG because people anywhere can be found on it, but without a firm guarantee of media metrics that these platforms could offer, they would be nothing Just like print outlets, we've seen social media platforms got closed down over the years. Does MySpace ring a bell?

19. FashionMuseDior

FashionMuseDior Active Member

This is why I love TFS because unlike other fashion or fashion social media platforms we can always discuss way below the surface of all things in life.

vogue28, Bertrando3, dfl-001 and 3 others like this.
  20. dfl-001

dfl-001 Well-Known Member

This is shameful!
    If you're going to use Kate, celebrate her for who she is. Not CGI her face until she's not human anymore.
    Can you imagine someone doing this to Carmen Dell'Orefice!?

Bertrando3 likes this.