1. Server maintenance is scheduled for today (8/15/2020) between 11 AM and 2 PM Eastern Time (ET). The site will go down for 15-20 minutes. We'll try to get it done before noon. Thank you for your understanding.
    Dismiss Notice

Vogue Paris August 2020 : Natalia Vodianova by Nathaniel Goldberg

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by MDNA, Jul 23, 2020.

1. kokobombon

kokobombon Well-Known Member

Vittoria is indeed absolutely brilliant :blush::heart:

Thanks for sharing :flower:

KateTheGreatest, zoom and Mercury6181 like this.
  2. Bertrando3

Bertrando3 Well-Known Member

Liya and Luna editorials are much better and some shots there are actually cover worthy but the rest??? ... Very disappointing :judge: I'm ok with praising Vogue Paris in comparison to what the other Vogue were doing during Pandemic months but if you're going to produce such lackluster, boring and unimaginative stories then seeing a good cover is not enough for me. Two good stories for a whole month isn't good, especially for one of the most powerful Vogue editions in the world.

During the Carine Roitfeld era, editorials and covers were MUCH stronger and wayyy more creative and sexy and intriguing. Alt is on automatic mode: 80's fashion, jeans fever and the same faces over and over and over and over again. NOT what I call a good magazine. However RIGHT NOW in 2020, collectively Vogue editions worldwide are so weak, so bland and copy cats of the old school Sozzani/Meisel Italian Vogue so we are sort of ''forced'' to appreciate mediocrity. :judge: ''This is Vogue Ok? Step it up'' ahaha :rofl: that September issue documentary reference when Anna Wintour talked with Edward ahahaha.

djowodjo30 likes this.
  3. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Luna should have gotten the cover she looks amazing

4. aracic

aracic Moderator

Vogue Paris is like that one star student that every teacher loves - she just never disappoints!
    Natalia's editorial is quintessential VP story under Alt's tenure. She's a superstar and even after all these years, it shows. I understand some consider this type of story 'boring', but in my opinion it looks fresh, clean and beautiful - something I value in a magazine these days. Obviously, model choice plays a massive role in these simple studio shoots so I'm delighted that they went with Natalia. Editorial turned out to be much better than the cover, if it were up to me I would've chosen either the close-up in that striped sweater or last shot for the cover.
    Vittoria looks brilliant! At first I wasn't sure how I felt about the new cut because models chopping their hair is almost like a pet peeve of mine - it ruined the appeal of so many models in the past (Karlie, Kaia and Cara come to mind) and made them look so... pedestrian? commercial? I don't know. But Vitto's strong enough to still maintain her charm and strength as a model - she looks wonderful! Gorgeous editorial, love how it feels nostalgic yet fresh and new. Great job!
    Liya's a true supermodel, which she proved time and time again. I'll never get tired of seeing her around! I wish she worked even more these days. The story looks more suitable for British Vogue (give Liya a cover already, Edward!) but still doesn't feel out of place here. I'm not a big fan of blurry photography, but when it's Liya - who cares!! Another great editorial.
    And finally... Luna! What a star. She always looks fantastic in VP's front sections such as Bijoux or Miss Vogue - and even though this isn't groundbreaking or much different from their other issues, it's still beautiful nonetheless. In this present era, I don't expect any magazine to be extraordinary, I mean... let's face it. The society is far too sensitive and overly dramatic for any type of experimental and daring fashion that would've worked 10 years ago (which we've witnessed many times), and fashion industry is far too conformable to even try. So I take what I can get and Luna's always a welcome sight - even when she's wrapped in all that beige! Another great editorial!!
    And then to wrap it up, we have Lola Nikon who I'm starting to like more and more, although this might be the weakest story of the issue for me - but beautiful nonetheless.

So that's 5/5 beautiful editorials for Vogue Paris this month. Are we surprised? Not at all. Great job Alt! You go girl :clap: Keep it up! Looking forward to the anniversary.

burbuja8910, Legolas and tigerrouge like this.
  5. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Luna is the STAR of the issue. Her ed is classic VP, great modeling, balanced sexiness...Perfect! Many shots of her ed could have been perfect for a cover. I even prefer « Au vrai chic parisien » to « le plaisir d’une nouvelle saison MODE ».

Liya is a great model but her story is boring and forgettable. Natalia’s ed is as boring as MGC’s work for Dior. I kinda like Vittoria’s ed because it looks fresh and modern with that early 00´s feel.
    Lola? Whatever even if I love the name!

The styling is quite underwhelming in this issue. I feel cheated by the « le plaisir d’une nouvelle saison mode ». I don’t see no Fashion and I certainly don’t feel any particular pleasure looking at this issue.

Ok, it’s still consistent to the VP aesthetic but tbh, it shines because the others are lackluster. Not because it is particularly good.

6. kasper!

kasper! Well-Known Member

Natalia's ed for Vogue China is better while this one is too basic and H&M-esuqe..... Liya's is the best in this issue, at first glance I thought it was styled by Joe McKenna:lol:....and yes I agree with Lola.

7. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

Natalia should’ve just stayed in her mansion.

8. PowerDroid

PowerDroid Member

A glorified high-street fashion catalogue. I get that it's COVID season but, wow, who would even bother buying this? Make some effort, for Pete's sake. A party of averageness that nobody would attend. Quite unbelievable.

liberty33r1b and avonlea002 like this.
  9. burbuja8910

burbuja8910 Well-Known Member

This issue is flawless, all the editorials are (except the cover story) & i think than the Vitto's is my fave because she's brings joy & glamour on every photo. Nice tha Emmanuelle Alt can manage a good issue of VP on the quarantine.

10. GERGIN

GERGIN Well-Known Member

The fact that Liya or even Vittoria didn’t get the cover but more so Liya cause her editorial is a standout!

#justiceforliya

Benn98 and RedSmokeRise like this.
  11. Royal-Galliano

Royal-Galliano Well-Known Member

wow, natalia has shot some really bad covers recently. can't believe they chose THAT image for the cover, everything about it so unflattering.

RedSmokeRise likes this.
  12. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I want to believe Liya may have been planned to cover this issue because in most cases they do the type of short written profile on a model when she's on the cover.
    Also, I wouldn't put it past Alt to give Vittoria a 2nd cover in 2020, and that editorial looks far more cover-worthy. It's also the first main one in the issue, which is usually the case for VP cover editorials.

SRank and GERGIN like this.
  13. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

I don't know who this Lola Nicon model is and you can tell she was trying her best.. but that's terrible, like when you're really trying to function... at 7 am.

Liya's marvelous.. always, her presence in stories makes you feel like it'll all be alright lol, cause that story isn't great really, but she's just that 'feel good' type of model. :heart:

I'd have to be a VP enthusiast to be able to appreciate the rest...

RedSmokeRise likes this.
  14. Srdjan

Srdjan Well-Known Member

I'm unsure why everyone is drooling over Liya's editorial, it's quite average (the photo with her humping her back would be a gorgeous magazine cover though).
    The issue is really decent and glamorous, not spectacular, but as people here said, it's much better than any indie hispter trash Vogue Italia, Czechia, Portugal etc. produce.

San Marco likes this.
  15. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Amazingly, unlike last month with Mica Arganaraz, the Nathaniel Goldberg stories from this issue do absolutely nothing me. They both pale in stark comparison to Liya Kebede by Karim Sadli, and that opening black and white shot of Liya is utterly divine!

Nevertheless, this issue is untouchable in comparison to what the vast majority of Vogues have produced during the pandemic and just like last month, I have an enormous amount of admiration and respect for Emmanuelle Alt. A firm Alt loyalist right here.

jorgepalomo and caioherrero like this.