Vogue Paris December 2018/January 2019 : 'The Birkin Clan' by Lachlan Bailey

My favourite family. I would buy this no matter what. Objectively the cover is nothing to write home about but i simply love their faces. Very happy.

The Condensed Font is Vogue Paris' new identity. It works. Its chic. Why change it?

The art direction feels like a Vogue Enfants cover!

You're absolutely right. The art direction is very Vogue Enfants.

The cover should have just been Jane.

Way to hide the beauty of three amazing powerful women.

I like it. They are all talented women, and the picture is good.

It’s a stunning family picture, not a cover though...

I like it. They are all talented women, and the picture is good.

You have very low standards for a cover. I can imagine Emanuelle saying the exact same thing while approving the cover.

Jane Birkin, Charlotte Gainsbourg and Lou Doillon sure do make sense guest-editing Vogue Paris (even though my heart was set on Gisele Bundchen, ugh) but this just looks far too amateur and much like a Vogue Netherlands cover, IMO.

Not the finest of Alt's moments... as painful as it is for me to admit.

Learn from the Germans...... :P

Pinterest.com
The VP is really boring for a Christmas issue... and the colors terrible I totally agree... but this DV is.... sorry so cheap, looks like any boring advertising for Photoshop or L'Oreal which is the same. Be in 2018 and see one or the other is really sad...

The VP is really boring for a Christmas issue... and the colors terrible I totally agree... but this DV is.... sorry so cheap, looks like any boring advertising for Photoshop or L'Oreal which is the same. Be in 2018 and see one or the other is really sad...

True, but the point I tried to make was that it is possible to have three women with three different poses and some styling on a profile cover, as shown by German Vogue. Birkin and her 2 girls are revered for their public personas, which is not evident on this cover.

Dear Lord. What MORE is there to say about these women? Don't get me wrong, I'm an ardent fan of all 3 since the 90s but judging by the cover, it's gonna be the same old sh+t by Alt. Same old schtick, same old fashion, same old vapid, un-insightful interviews.

I'd like to see Alt step out of her comfort zone, take some risks while also bringing back tried and true fashion features highlighting lesser known women who don't fit into the stereotypical "French" style tropes popularized by social media.

Carine during her tenure (her prime peaking around 2008 imo) featured women who's style ran the fashion gamut from old-school YSL vixens, fashion magazine innovators, laid-back folkies to tomboy fashion royalty, women whose names weren't already on everyone's lips, back then or now.

Formula's can be fantastic when adaptable, as Carine demonstrated within her own daring, boundary pushing vision. However in Alt's case, her formula feels predictable, relies too heavily on retro imagery either verbatim using archive imagery or not so subtle retro revivals.

Carine adapted her editorials, so that when Frankie Rayder played the jilted 60s hippie bride lounging in grassy cemeteries with updated daisy chains, one believed the oft told fashion narrative with a modern twist. Looking back Carine was a true interpreter of style. Alt's VP resembles the work of a fawning groupie, emulating rather than innovating, sharing her own story and vision.

Happy mother... upset children

Shame about the cover bcos I should be jumping up and down with happiness as I love all of them ❤️

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely cover but yes the sisters look sad especially Charlotte..
I guess it's because their sister Kate is not with them anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
effettovetro
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->