Vogue Paris March 2020 : Rebecca Leigh Longendyke & Vittoria Ceretti by Mikael Jansson

I really don't think much of Emmanuelle, at least as a stylist, and I think I've made my POV known quite frequently. She's the anti-thesis of versatile, but here she's really done a great job with Mikael. Consistently strong, graphic fashion images of Rebecca and Vittoria with simple styling choices. I just wish that third image of Rebecca with the short hair (and Saint Laurent?) would've been binned...in the decision to print that image alone I can see Alt's weakness as an EIC. Still, kudos otherwise :flower:.

Vogue Paris March 2020

Une Femme Francaise

Photographer: Paolo Roversi
Stylist: Jacob K
Hair: James Pecis
Makeup: Stephane Marais
Cast: Vilma Sjoberg, Cyrielle Lalande & Miriam Sanchez

Vogue Paris Digital Edition

Last edited by a moderator:
Vogue Paris March 2020

Lignes D'Horizon

Photographer: Karim Sadli
Stylist: Aleksandra Woroniecka
Hair: Damien Boissinot
Makeup: Christelle Cocquet
Cast: Mica Arganaraz

Vogue Paris March 2020

Madame Reve

Photographer: David Sims
Stylist: Emmanuelle Alt
Hair: Damien Boissinot
Makeup: Hiromi Ueda
Cast: Patrycja Piekarska

Vogue Paris March 2020

Vogue Bijoux: A Girl's Best Friend

Photographer: Gregory Harris
Stylist: Virginie Benarroch
Hair: Shon
Makeup: Benjamin Puckey
Cast: Abby Champion

This is peak Vogue Paris and Alt. She woke up and decided to try.

Each and every story is different, and yet they all collectively coincide with her vision. Brilliant.

The Rovers ed is BEAUTIFUL

Highlight of the issue for me is Abby's story which was styled by.....Virginie Benarroch. The covers are stunning and I was really hoping for more of a Tonne Goodman early 90s brand of American minimalism (it's what the Yanks are famous for). But I wouldn't classify many of the pieces in that edit as 'simple' or minimal, least of all the beaded ones.
Still, that doesn't detract from the great variety of edits in this issue. The Roversi story is stunning, but it's not VP. And anyway, my takeaway is that Benarroch must get a cover soon or at the very least the main editorial. It's a shame to pin her work to Bijoux/Miss Vogue.

^^^ You left out the best story in this issue: Alique’s Fierté Capillaire on James Pecis. It’s really nothing more than an advertorial, but the imagery of people together always outshines all these stories here of just one lonesome model— and so sparsely styled (Karim’s sunset shots are surprisingly full of that brand of dreams of early summer mood, of which I'll always be drawn to; too bad the styling is so basic.)

This is a very good issue because it’s a very surprising issue. But it’s not a very memorable issue!

I like Simplissime but I wish it was really simplissime. I like Roversi’s story but it’s not VP. You know Alt would have never styled a model like that for such a story. Madame Rêve is fine...only the 2nd and 4th shots have Alt’s touch.
The Marilyn and Miss Vogue stories are classic VP.

I would love to see in one issue Roversi and Alt, Barbieri and Janssen, Saglio and Sadli.

But as I said earlier, good and surprising issue.

^^^ You left out the best story in this issue: Alique’s Fierté Capillaire on James Pecis. It’s really nothing more than an advertorial, but the imagery of people together.

The best? It looks like a Schwarzkopf plug taken from Allure, P. LOL. That it was photographed by Alique just stands to reason. But here goes....

Beaute: Fierte Capillaire

Photographer: Alique
Stylist: Celia Azoulay
Hair: James Pecis
Makeup: Dick Page
Cast: James Pecis, Melodie Vaxelaire, Meghan Roche, Hannah Ferguson

^^^ Haha didn’t think you’d do it LOL

No, it’s not the “best” by a long shot… It’s more of a damning summation of what a non-event I find this issue is (feels and looks more like a throwaway Jan issue). Again, with the exception of a handful of Karim’s shots, the rest is so barren-looking: It’s just a depressing endless parade of white seamless that may as well be shot inside the changing area of a Bergdorf’s (would likely have looked better too).

^^^ Haha didn’t think you’d do it LOL

No, it’s not the “best” by a long shot… It’s more of a damning summation of what a non-event I find this issue is (feels and looks more like a throwaway Jan issue). Again, with the exception of a handful of Karim’s shots, the rest is so barren-looking: It’s just a depressing endless parade of white seamless that may as well be shot inside the changing area of a Bergdorf’s (would likely have looked better too).

It was still in my bin, so not a pain to post. Plus I'm not going to miss an opportunity to show off your famously poor taste, lol.

Interesting, because that one along with the Sims edit and the requisite Miss Vogue denim story are the only ones which hark back to her vintage-driven VP. The rest are all a breath of fresh air. Plus I have it on good authority that Alt very much liked the Jacob K edit and fully approved it all so I'm guessing we'll be seeing more of that....

This is a very good issue because it’s a very surprising issue. But it’s not a very memorable issue!

This summarizes my feeling for most of the issues under Alt's tenure. Every time when I flip through some back issues, I would say "wow, this ed is good. I don't remember it is in this issue". Because a lot of the content are not that memorable. I need to go back from time to time to remind me they are good and they are inside certain months' pages.

Funny enough I could recall almost every ed in every issue under Carine's golden time (04-08 I would say). Perhaps one of the reasons I can't remember most of the content for current issues is that I am not that engaged with the magazine these days...

SIMPLISSIME (HQ)
Photographer: Mikael Jansson
Stylist: Emmanuelle Alt
Hair: Shay Ashual
Make-Up: Mark Carrasquillo
Models: Rebecca Longendyke & Vittoria Ceretti

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member