Vogue Paris May 2019 : Rianne van Rompaey by Mikael Jansson

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by JPineapple, Apr 17, 2019.

1. apple

apple Well-Known Member

The cover story is absolutely brilliant, one of the best editorials I have seen this year. Rianne, Mikael and Emmanuelle delivered. Too bad the cover doesn't reflect the energy and dynamic of the story.
    The rest of the issue doesn't impress me as much, but it's very exciting to see Karlie Kloss back in the pages of Vogue Paris. I would be so happy if they finally put her on the cover so that she could complete the big 4. If there's a model who deserves it, that's Karlie. She's the supermodel of her generation in every aspect: high fashion, commercial, other kinds of work.. And she earned it all by herself, before the social medias era but she could still find a way to become popular on them and did not need any connection to start. Fingers crossed for her.

ivano and GreyVetiver like this.
  2. tjasmine

tjasmine Active Member

So happy to see Karlie in this!

ivano likes this.
  3. Koibito

Koibito Active Member

The cover is the kitty but the editorial is a vicious leopard! Superb!

KateIsGr8 likes this.
  4. Morgane07

Morgane07 Well-Known Member

Random but this editorial reminds me how all I see is girls/women with high ponytails everywhere these days. Most likely due to Ariana Grande's influence. I was in Ireland and was surprised to see so many girls with a high ponytail, fake tan and Ariana type makeup, they looked more exotical than Irish.
    And I wouldn't be against the return of a more grungy toyboyish look if it meant lip injections, implants, etc., become passé. With Billie Eilish, Rihanna, etc. baggier clothes might make a comeback, it'd be nice for a while if done right.

ivano and Benn98 like this.
  5. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Seriously, this is a slap in the face! Rianne, Anok and Anja! All perfect eds...
    I’ll put my campaign for Emmanuelle being out of VP on hiatus just for this month!
    Miss Vogue is unecessary...

6. Vitamine W

Vitamine W Well-Known Member

Rianne has the last laugh. Freakin' amazing.

7. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

In your face Perickles!

[​IMG]

warosu.org

8. GERGIN

GERGIN Well-Known Member

This is Emmanuel’s most dynamic and sophisticated issue in god knows how long? I did not see that coming when I was browsing the main editorial, Rianne is a F?#!ING show stopper!

If I didn’t know better this could easily pass as a good Carine Roitfeld curation back in her hey days! Please keep it up VP you nailed it this issue!

(PS so happy to see Karlie Kloss again!)

Royal-Galliano likes this.
  9. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Well-Known Member

The animalistic shots of the Rianne's editorial would've inspired Tyra Banks to come up with a similar albeit laughable concept for ANTM back in the day lol.

ivano likes this.
  10. libra

libra Well-Known Member

Rianne did her job, amazing girl!
    She is amazing and one of the best models in this generation.

rianne fans, ivano and miyawaki like this.
  11. libra

libra Well-Known Member

hahaha, true!

12. Style Savvy

Style Savvy Well-Known Member

What a sublime issue! Every editorial is amazing on its own way. I think it's a strategy that they gave us an underwhelming cover so we'll be surprised by the contents. :lol:

ivano and modela like this.
  13. blusheels

blusheels Active Member

Is it only me who cannot see any images posted here? :huh:

14. guimon

guimon Well-Known Member

Ok, Rianne's ed is surpresely kind of fantastic. WOW! So stunning. So many strong images.
    Too bad they ruined with such a tragic cover. What a shame!

rianne fans, HeatherAnne and dfl-001 like this.
  15. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how Alt settled on a cover which at least imo bears very little relevance to the editorial. But the edit is splendid. The idea is not very original, and for starters it is x10 better than Natasha Poly x Vogue Spain, but it is the modelling, photography and production value that shines here. Safari stories are the most easiest to style and with this one specifically, other than that Chloe dress, there's not much novelty. It lacks that unique factor to makes the shoot special and contemporary.
    I can't regard Noir Imperial because it's just so unoriginal in this magazine considering everyone involved. For me it's just another example of an editorial veering too closely to the the brand's actual campaign, which is certainly not coincidental. It seems fashion is becoming more cruder and commercial by the minute.
    The Sam Rock story is equally unimpressive, but looks great in the magazine in terms of variety. It's more autumnal though. And one can tell the Nathaniel Goldberg and Saglio don't know anything about skating culture. What a waste to load such cheap styling onto a professional like Grace. That editorial belongs in Glamour.

What I am rather taken with is the beauty and jewellery stories. Yes, the beauty edit may be sponsored by Estee Lauder (hence Karlie's presence), but it's the kind of simple refined shoot which this magazine sorely lacks and certainly lifts the issue. And the jewellery one proves that with more freedom, Azoulay is actually pretty decent as a stylist. Those 5 pages is dripping in Tom Ford x Gucci era sexiness. Glad she didnt go the lazy route by dialing up Ben Hassett or Colls for a grey studio shoot.

As a complete issue, this is one of Alt's strongest efforts as an EIC. Probably because VP is slowly being unshackled from her personal taste, to something which should appeal to a broader demographic of readers. It is what I've always wanted from Alt. Less vanity, more production value to assert the magazine as the most fashion-forward Vogue of the lot (it's France after all), some fantasy, some glamour and sensuality. There's even a piece on Anja Rubik about her activism and the new photo book she's got going to speak about teen pregnancy, and in general one can now find a feature in each issue on non-famous women making strides in their respective fields. Nothing overtly feminist and it's always shot in b&w because, of course, this is Alt. But still, it's great that she's trying.

It's seems the new boss at CN France is the best thing that could've happened for this magazine! Now only if he'd put Vogue Hommes next on his list.

GivenchyAddict and tigerrouge like this.
  16. bluebanter

bluebanter Well-Known Member

who chose such a dull dry cover??? The ed is incredible.

HeatherAnne likes this.
  17. DK92

DK92 Well-Known Member

The main editorial is amazing... Anja for VP in YSL clothes? What a surprise!

ivano, Lausanne, guimon and 3 others like this.
  18. JPineapple

JPineapple Well-Known Member

Their best issue in months

ivano likes this.
  19. GivenchyAddict

GivenchyAddict Well-Known Member

Love every editorial and the jewellery eds in VP always been a delight for me.

So many photos could have work for this cover and to catch anyone to buy the issue. I think the fact that Claire Dhelens and Veronique Didry are less present at VP help a lot. Just need Barbieri way more.

Lola701 likes this.
  20. 333101

333101 Well-Known Member

Rianne's editorial is one of the best of the last few years! It's amazing they managed to choose a shot that is outtake level as best as the cover, although I suppose quite a few were off limits on account of her being topless. Amazing that its completely fine to have a shot of her bottom half naked plastered everywhere but the mere sight of a few nipples would cause total outrage :innocent:

rianne fans and ivano like this.