Vogue Paris November 2003 : Diana Dondoe by Inez Van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin

Originally posted by Fashion Wire Daily October 31@ 2003 - Paris
capt.bnuk3qqp21.jpg

p*rn Yesterday: Recall and 'Mixed Opinions' for French Vogue's Latest

Karl Treacy

The November issue of French Vogue arrived late on newsstands in Paris Thursday, having supposed to have been there since Monday. But subscribers received their copies in the mail on time -- with a little something extra.

As it regularly does, French Vogue publisher Condé Nast collaborated with a major advertiser to sponsor a beauty supplement; this time, the honor fell to French beauty giant L'Oreal, which splashed out on 52 pages, including covers.

Aside from the multiplicity of L'Oreals ads -- featuring Claudia Schiffer, Laetitia Casta and Natalie Imbruglia (news), among others -- the supplement's pages came illustrated with images by 70s-era photographer David Hamilton of naked Lolitas, most of whom seem incredibly new to the whole puberty thing.

According to sources, L'Oreal bosses saw the final supplement only after the issue had been printed and delivered. Reportedly, Condé Nast France president Didier Suberbielle was summoned to L'Oreal headquarters in Paris late last week, where the feedback on the issue was far from enthusiastic, with L'Oreal chiefs demanding all copies of the supplement recalled and destroyed, with the cost burden shouldered by the publisher.

L'Oreal's international PR director, Jean-Dominique Tortil, denied this, saying, "Oh no! We were just sending the supplement to subscribers only. It was a test to see if maybe it would be successful to do it [sponsor a supplement] again next year." He said the company would be looking at producing a larger supplement next year, "maybe in April or May."

Suberbielle did not respond to FWD's attempts to contact him to discuss the matter at his rue du Faubourg St-Honore office and Carine Roitfeld, editor-in-chief of French Vogue, is currently out of the country.

Following a round of phone calls to press kiosks in the French capital, FWD has learned that the original copies of the magazine were all delivered in advance before being suddenly recalled at the weekend and returned a number of days later, rebagged sans the offending supplement. The only supplement contained in the plastic cover now is a 16-page Nike advertorial shot and written by the Vogue team, though on some newsstands, even that is missing.

On the matter of the supplement being pulled from newsstands, Tortil wagered, "Oh! Maybe there had been a slight misunderstanding by Condé Nast. It was only supposed to be for subscribers. As far as I know it was definitely a test issue." He stressed, more than once, "We have the best relationship with Condé Nast."

So L'Oreal had no problem with the imagery, some of which shows nude girls who cannot possibly be over 13 years of age? "Well, of course there were mixed opinions; some thought it was OK, some didn't. We'll know more after the survey."

The survey?

According to the spokesman L'Oreal will be conducting a survey, most likely by phone, of French Vogue subscribers to see what they thought of the supplement in order to assess the viability of launching a bigger issue next time.

Although the subject of the next sponsored supplement is not known, by Tortil's admission, it will probably feature "more mainstream" photography and models. For the moment, however, those lucky enough to get their hands on a copy of this one are in possession of an unexpected collectors item.

Curiously, despite the fact that the November issue is reportedly his first since being named as new creative director, Fabien Baron's name is conspicuously absent from the main magazine's masthead. Baron, who was seen at Roitfeld's side on the front row of many a show during Paris Fashion Week earlier this month, replaced consultant team M/M.

:shock: :blink: :wacko:

the lolita's were in the l'oreal supplement? :shock: i cant see anyone being thrilled at recieving that in the mail.....the girls had to be over 13 -if not BIG TROUBLE for them BIG :shock:

thank you for the news astrid :flower:

:angry: Carine Roitfeld is on her way OUT of Vogue Paris, thats a fact.

I'm totally against kiddy-soft-pron and glad for all the bad attention Vogue took for its last issue. France has a huge problem with underage sex maniacs, there is no reason why Vogue should feed them with material.

thanks for the article astrid :flower:

i think fashion and p*rn are just heading towards each other.Some things u cant say that its art!

Originally posted by eguana@Nov 3rd, 2003 - 10:40 am
i think fashion and p*rn are just heading towards each other.Some things u cant say that its art!
yea i agree with you

oooh I still want to get this Vogue. I absolutely LOVE the top right hand side pic. It's so strong and beautiful and poetic. The bottom photos i'm kinda iffy on b/c they are so 80's. but overall I really really like the hair/makeup and styling.

i love the cover, i think its a great shot, and diana looks great. buuuut, the nipple seems unnecessary. :innocent:

I LOVE it :heart: Those photographs are well thought of, so bravo!
:wink:

Each photograph shows an aggressive, assertive, strong pose.

The styling is very masculine (slicked back hair, minimal makeup, the muscle tanks...).

Therefore, the "boob" was thrown in to re-affirm the model's femininity, to balance things out.

If the boob weren't there, I would almost think that's a boy in the photo.

Hey FashionSpotters,
I've been having such a hard time trying to find this issue of Vogue Paris... I was wondering if anyone could send me it, I will pay for it via PayPal if you like. I would really love to have a copy of Nov 2003! Thank you! Also, I am in love with the March 2002 cover of Vogue Paris because I am a huge Balenciaga fan and I would be very happy to own a copy of that as well if anyone can help me out here. Thanks for taking the time to read this! Email me at [email protected] THANK YOU!!!!!

so much more upfront and avant-garde than us vogue has been in years...

it is FRENCH vogue, but still i am getting tired of us vogue with their women not even really posing all smiling in predictable fashion.

us vogue needs an injection of french vogue edginess

One of my all time faves. I can still remember when I saw this on the internet and I desperately wanted it. I checked my local bookstore for a week to see if they finally got it.

The cover like someone already said looks a bit dated, all this "hommages" are looking a bit silly.

I actually like David Hamilton and his Lolitas, but The L'oreal catalogue it's not exactly the right context for this images, said that, was anyone lucky enough to get this at the time?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see the pics from the ed anymore,here's some i've gathered.I don't know if it's complete.I'd love to know what else is in this magazine to see if i have scans of it to post...

scans by Phoenix-Scans,Gorka scans

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->