Vogue Paris September 2018 by Mikael Jansson & Inez van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin

........ lensed by aging veteran photographers whose bleary vision or overblown lighting techniques nearly eradicate signs of human aging.

The continued success of I&V, Willy Vanderperre, Daniel Jackson and Luigi and Iango and their brazen ageism, which very often gets the pass, is actually baffling to me. Especially when you consider that the fashion set and society seems at a state where age diversity is somewhat prioritised.
I find I&V's work very hit and miss personally. They're resting far too much on their 'current titans of studio photography' laurels. There's actually been very little innovation in their work.

Just looked through the issue. Emmanuelle really disappoints for the first time for a September issue. Was everyone busy with freelance work while working on this issue???

Despite the immensely alluring cast of Supers, the only story that comes alive is Naomi’s. The styling is so OTT and so silly, but who cares when she’s moving like some possessed Christmas tree getting down for her life. I can do without the faux-snapshots that add absolutely nothing to the story, but Naomi in motion is still a thrill.

(The other stories just look like the they came in to the shoot wearing their own clothes, and Emmanuelle adding a piece or two of her own clothes, and called it a day.)

^Emmanuelle trying to do what Edward is doing with British Vogue and Anna with US Vogue :innocent:

Yep, we are in the era of the star artist. For years I admired the work of Paul Cavaco but never knew what he looked like. But nowadays fame supercedes talent. It's the reason why you have Petra Collins andand Jordan Barrett shooting covers. In the case of Emmanuelle Alt I imagine she may have been pressured into doing this. I've always believed her to be naturally private. She had so many opportunities to lap up the spotlight after Carine left, and her interviews are far and few in between. Plus she's easily the most stylish Vogue editor right now and her personal style is revered by so many women across the world. Yet she chose a Greta Garbo-esque elusiveness which may or may not be organic. It's probably the only part of her cult which I admire. Now regarding the way she's running this magazine, well.........

It looks like someone is trying to secure her position now that she has a new boss...

The video is quite well executed and we almost never see her. I don’t find this interesting but if it’s an indication that VP is finally taking their YouTube content seriously, I’m happy.

When Emmanuelle said to Kate that she wanted to do another editorial similar to the Jeans one she did, I kept thinking « No! no! no! We don’t need another Jeans ed in your magazine ».

I think Emmanuelle is a very interesting person and her career is really interesting to look at. She has a lot of things to offer. It’s almost a pity that her career is not as known as Edward or Anna. I really respect the fact that she didn’t fell for the spotlight that comes with her title and I think it’s rooted in her career.

Loïc Prigent needs to do a documentary about VP

It’s almost a pity that her career is not as known as Edward or Anna.

It shouldn't be, if you ask me! I know Anna set a standard for the celebrity editor, which Angelica, Edwina, and Edward follows like sheep, but I like that she's not a follower (in that sense.)

Yes to a VP documentary. It'll be the ultimate hate-watch session for me.

In the case of Emmanuelle Alt I imagine she may have been pressured into doing this. I've always believed her to be naturally private. She had so many opportunities to lap up the spotlight after Carine left, and her interviews are far and few in between. Plus she's easily the most stylish Vogue editor right now and her personal style is revered by so many women across the world. Yet she chose a Greta Garbo-esque elusiveness which may or may not be organic. It's probably the only part of her cult which I admire.

I agree. She's one of those women that lifestyle wise I find really aspirational, regardless of how much a cliche I know it to be. I can't avoid it.
That's why I find all of this a bit cringe, editors used to come in the front of the camera when the person featured on their cover was so exceptional that needed the special treatment, a way to show it was a special occasion and no other person could do the honours. The fact that she decided to go out of her way to visit Kate Moss someone that she has a continuous working relationship for a million years, make the whole thing nonsensical and unnatural. If she feels she needs to include this video segments like the other Vogues, there are dozen of playful french fashion personalities that could do a better and more lighthearted job.

It shouldn't be, if you ask me! I know Anna set a standard for the celebrity editor, which Angelica, Edwina, and Edward follows like sheep, but I like that she's not a follower (in that sense.)

Yes to a VP documentary. It'll be the ultimate hate-watch session for me.

No, i think people should know about her career: Her time at ELLE, her time as a model, the 20 Ans years and the trajetory to Vogue. A great part of her styling gigs during the early 00's is also quite unknown.

The Gossip part is not that interesting yes and in that aspect, i don't want her to be everywhere and be bigger than her magazine. That's what "killed" Carine and contributed to a fatigue.

Indeed. She can be smarter than Edward or Anna by avoiding this kind of very unnecessary videos with Kate Moss and deliver much more about how she builds month after month VP. She may have a clear idea of what she is doing but the execution of each issue seems very lazy. I know from some assistants at VP that she is very kind, cool and very obsessed with the 80s but also she has nothing to prove because her career has been tremendous and one of the most important careers from a french stylist. People talk a lot about Carine because she has such a big ego that she is the first to talk about herself but Emmanuelle can easily overshadow her career.

Maybe the fact that Xavier Romatet left has been a wake up call for her to be the stylist she used to be : a very good one.

No, i think people should know about her career: Her time at ELLE, her time as a model, the 20 Ans years and the trajetory to Vogue. A great part of her styling gigs during the early 00's is also quite unknown.

The Gossip part is not that interesting yes and in that aspect, i don't want her to be everywhere and be bigger than her magazine. That's what "killed" Carine and contributed to a fatigue.

That's just it though. The gossip cult will eventually overwhelm everything. I'm sure the girl on the street will know Edward from his Attitude cover, designing sneakers for the Gay Pride, gushing over Rihanna or Oprah, or Kate & Naomi's bff. It's not as though his career at US Vogue or W are constantly highlighted with all the media intrigue.

I actually completely forgot that Romatet left because French media can keep their stories so tight! He was, in a sense, her guarantor, wasn't he? It puts the absence of her 80s fashion mania for this issue so much into perspective....

^Yes he was her guarantor. A bit too much... The video has been deleted. Emmanuelle reads TFS threads a bit too much :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nationalsalt
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->