Vogue Paris September 2019 by Mikael Jansson, Alasdair McLellan, Juergen Teller & Inez & Vinoodh

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by aracic, Aug 20, 2019.

1. WeberFanatic

WeberFanatic Active Member

I think Emmanuelle was trying to be funny. It screams like a twist of An American in Paris but a Parisian in NY. So of course the gal is semi assimilating into the environment with the hair and wearing the jeans she sees all the girls wearing. I think it was too obvious to go with the Working Girl look considering the collections didn’t really hone on that. Let’s wait for the rest of the story.

2. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I'd buy this cover without even seeing the execution!

3. Bertrando3

Bertrando3 Well-Known Member

Issue 1000th and they give us this??????????? WHAT THE HELL?????? Sorry but I hate this: it looks amateur / fan-like / student project:

- the model is sleeping for real on these covers
    - the fonts used are bad and look sooo homemade
    - the clothes???? Is this a catalogue or High F***ing Fashion???
    - the pose pff don´t get me started : it´s camp as f***

NO NO NO: I saw London, Milan and New York and they are all wrong! Can´t believe in 1000 issues they could not make and think of a BIG F***ing project!!!!

Over the unimaginable stars they could get, over the history of legendary SUPERMODELS who graced Vogue Paris in its heyday, over the many top singers, actresses, writers and so on they give us a seasoned model???? NOPE.

Daria Werbowy, Kate Moss, Gisele, Lara Stone, Natalia Vodianova, Liya Kebede, Gemma Ward, Natasha Poly, Doutzen and so on would have made more sense or something Vogue Paris hasn´t done ever or perhaps once in a blue moon lol: A BIG GROUP COVER like US Vogue April 1990.

fierrousa likes this.
  4. bluestar

bluestar Well-Known Member

I feel like I need some time to let these covers sink in...I don't hate them at all but I am not going crazy for them either. I love Rianne and I love what she's bringing to the table in the London cover and she looks gorg in the NY cover but I'm not convinced by the Milan one. I want to see the Paris cover and then see all the ed's to make a final decision on whether I like this or not lol

aracic likes this.
  5. MagFan

MagFan Well-Known Member

They posted Paris one

6. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Paris by Alasdair McLellan:

Lax89 and aracic like this.
  7. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

Rianne shows a great deal of range. It's unfortunate that these photographs are so terrible. The styling on London and NY is absolutely atrocious. Paris is blah. I like where they were going with Milan, however the results look amateurish. They all look amateurish actually. I don't know if she's trying to be ironic, but the quality of the photographs is subpar. Anyone with a good eye could do better on an iPhone. What a waste of Rianne. She's capable of so much more.

kenndale and aracic like this.
  8. Bertrando3

Bertrando3 Well-Known Member

looooool the Paris cover comes straight out of a challenge from ANTM not even the actual weekly photoshoot lol it´s BAD BAD BAD. NEXT!

Whether many want to admit it or not Vogue Paris was much stronger and dangerous and exciting under CR, Alt uses the same same same same white models over and over and over again with denim and funky fonts for the layouts and calls it a day for cover making. This era of Vogue Paris under Alt is as disgraceful as it is for Vogue Italia after Franca died, Farnetti does the same tricks with bad fonts and boring concepts or no concepts at all and try to be edgy and fashionable ahahaha nope, it does not work.

9. RedSmokeRise

RedSmokeRise Well-Known Member

Cant believe VP is gonna let me down like this. What a waste of resources to do 4 cities and get a mediocre end result each time LOL.

10. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

The Paris one had so much potential! Terrible layout once again...
    She is wearing Alaia and I like that!

YohjiAddict and GivenchyAddict like this.
  11. mepps

mepps Well-Known Member

LMAO! at these covers. The New York one is particularly offensive. Taking a pic in front of Central Park, wearing jeans and Chuck Taylor's is not 'New York'. That's a Euro tourist selfie. The Paris one doesn't even deserve a comment.

Alt could have, and really should have done something really special for this issue, but instead she recycles cliches, and this dead in the face model for the 1000th time. She needs to go.

YohjiAddict, modela and Bertrando3 like this.
  12. anadmm

anadmm New Member

Paris and London covers are the best ones, but the graphic design...

13. kokurox

kokurox Member

Well this seems Like a cliché issue with all the styling beeng based un the asumption of how the style must ve un each city.
    Only the London cover is nice, looks Like Rianne it's gonna be the maine model of the issue.

14. Fiercification

Fiercification Well-Known Member

Tired, cliche and boring covers from Emanuelle, as per usual. Rianne is a great model, but that doesn't mean she can push through these trite cover images. And it's beyond me how she has another cover this year.

As I always say, Emmanuelle has a very narrow vision for this magazine and she's a very bad stylist to me, her work always feels stale and contrived. So I'm not looking forward to this issue, however I will concede it's probably better than the other September covers so far.

modela and GivenchyAddict like this.
  15. Les_Sucettes

Les_Sucettes Well-Known Member

I like the concept of the 4 cities and I do not mind to seeing Rianne again. A far as I am concerned she can have as many covers as Alt wants to give her, what i certainly do want is to see is Rianne, a much superior model, pretending to be Edie. Alt is single-handedly keeping Edie's career alive, why not use the real thing? At this point the bar is so low no one would care if she gave her another cover.

The London and Paris covers are eyesores, Paris is even worse than London. The Milan cover is fine. I kinda like the New York cover, do not know if I'm down with this revival of Felicity hair (my original hair actually that i certainly never want to return to :lol:) and the casualness of the image. I still haven't decided if what i am seeing is some random Instagram type of picture or if there is some science behind it.

YohjiAddict, Benn98 and Valentine27 like this.
  16. Valentine27

Valentine27 Well-Known Member

My preference goes straight to Milan & New York. I love how dramatic is Milan, this black widow vibe with the vivid red roses. I'd think it's the less cliché of the 4, but it's hard not to be cliché when addressing such a theme. Rianne looks gorgeous on the New York one. I'm loving the hair and the casual styling. It's lazy but it works somehow. Paris had potential. Good styling and beautiful scenery, no matter how touristy it looks (again, why can't it be?). But it's obviously ruined by this amateur jump, this dreadful makeup, and how can we miss the O letter in her hand? Terrible. I forgot to mention how the layout makes it all worse each time.

YohjiAddict and modela like this.
  17. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Should've just went one step further and retitle that heading to: 'Les Capitales De Amor'...or amour. Whatever, cant' be bothered. All I know is that cover is one bottle of red wine and a baguette away from a Glenda Bailey commissioned subscriber's cover.....

18. MyNameIs

MyNameIs Well-Known Member

Yikes. Cool idea but the execution is tragic. Don't think the model is right either. The styling though... 80s hair and denim for NYC? When was the last time the stylist's been to NYC? In fact, all four of these are so cliche and cheesy - and not in a good way. I can smell the stale all the way from here.

But honestly, the worst thing about all these is that FONT! What in the world is that?

19. aracic

aracic Well-Known Member

So unique! Fantastic! Groundbreaking! Never been done before! Fabulous!
    Did you peep the French flag colors? WOW how creative!!!! They made her jump in front of the Eiffel Tower? How French is that?! I heard people who live in Paris do that on daily basis.

I still have high hopes for editorials (except for Juergens), cause Vogue Paris always delivers despite how bad the covers are.

OH MY GOD I JUST NOTICED THAT THEY PUT O FROM VOGUE DOWN THERE LOL. Okay I can't

20. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

Emmanuelle is trolling.

That typeface alone ought to be a giveaway. VP is at that point where they can afford to troll with poor cover selects and horrendous type— just like Franca did with her Vogue. There’s an admitted arrogance in that sort of move— but with the contents usually so solid, they can get away with it. That August cover is an all-time low, but the accompanying story was supreme.

YohjiAddict likes this.