Vogue Paris September 2020 : Malika Louback by Mikael Jansson

I laughed out loud when I read the cover lines. Having work at fashion magazines and with the French. :rofl:
Still, this cover is what I've expected. It's unapologetically 80's and I really like it.
The simple fact that they used the literal translation of the word Hope (Espoir) to relate to the E at the end of the word is hilarious!
Like yes, French are clueless when it comes to English but come on Emmanuelle! LOL

That being said, there wasn’t any other way to place the Hope thing on the cover? And I can only laugh at imagining what the meeting looked like when they tried to find words to relate to each letter of HOPE (Paris, Espoir) lol

After first glance of the cover lines, I am questioning my command of French & English. How does “hypnotique”, “optimiste”, “Paris” and “espoir” all relate to each other? Or they just like Lola pointed out, to make up the word HOPE? As Benn said, the word Paris is very random here. Since I am not a native french speaker, I am very confused.

I appreciate the see a new face, let’s wait for the contents...the gloves were unnecesary...no gloves and masthead in red or white and would be better...

I'm really happy to have a black model on VP cover, too bad the rest were terrible!

Hmm there are things about this cover I like a lot and things I don’t. Like everyone else I think the layout could be better, I definitely think it has something to do with how all the issues have to feature the word hope but something about being on the side and taking up a lot of space looks weird. The blue masthead is really out there and could’ve been toned down but I like how it matches her gloves! Other then that black tile background I really like the cover shot (although I’m sure inside will have better suited images) and I like the fierce vibe! I applaud VP for sticking to fashion and glamour and staying true to what a fashion magazine is! And I also have never heard of the cover subject but I think she’s really serving and I’m glad she was chosen!

I'm not going to have any kind of hope for the future until I see real change here. I mean, I'm all for a new black girl on the cover of a big publication like Vogue Paris but let's face it: how many black girls have we seen on VP last year? If I'm right, it was just Adut on a multicover month.
I really want to see some improvement in the next months because right now it's praised and the right thing to do -due to the reasons that we all know- but let's see if we are going to have more diversity next year.
Look at Vogue Italia back then in 2008. They did that gorgeous Black Issue. Everyone were talking about that. It was insanely successful, it was praised here and there... And however, they booked another black girl almost FOUR YEARS AFTER -Joan Smalls in 2012-. That's the kind of hypocrisy I'm talking about.

If brands like VP acknowledged that they have a poorly diverse past and made a loud and proud commitment to doing better in the future then maybe covers like this wouldn’t feel so performative

If brands like VP acknowledged that they have a poorly diverse past and made a loud and proud commitment to doing better in the future then maybe covers like this wouldn’t feel so performative
I totally understand the difference of realities from the US and European market. Let’s be honest, diversity on the cover works in terms of image and brand value but does not always translate in sales. The thing with VP is to now be diverse in it pages. This is the hope all the Vogue should commit to. Prior to Edward, US Vogue was the only Vogue to have women of colors in it pages every month.

In France, there’s a very little representation of black girls in Vogue. But there’s even less representation of Arabian women.

I kinda wish that this issue will sell well, that Malika will be a regular in the pages. Because, the VP push will have an impact on her career but the support needs to be constant.

Not my favourite shot but considering the other September issues, this is supreme. Can't wait for the editorial

I wish they did more with this because Malika is a very beautiful girl, right now it's very Juergen Teller-ish with a Vogue Paris filter on and some glam thrown in. Let's wait for the editorial, I'm sure it'll better.

This is why brand wide directives suck, you could clearly see alt here trying juggle between satisfying the pretentious demands of corporate, and just trying to do what she always does. On the merits of the image, I feel like the whole 80s theme here fell a bit flat. the coloring of the image is weird, and just looks off., and why does it look it was shot in the bathroom?

Truly fabulous to see a model of colour on the cover of Vogue Paris, especially a fresh new face within the industry and receiving the ultimate seal of approval by Emmanuelle Alt with the all-important September cover of French Vogue. What an achievement for Malika!

Cover subject aside, I feel like this could've have been a whole lot more... fierce. Perhaps a more striking and exaggerated pose from Malika would've done the trick, and maybe the image cropped a little closer too. Always down for a Mikael Jansson x Alt moment, nevertheless, and guess we should've known Alt opting for the Saint Laurent collection for the September cover (predictable, and I love it).

You love it because it’s Vogue Paris. The cover is too weak for September, and is this shot in a random washroom using a Nokia phone?

Agreed. Not what I expected for a September cover but at this point, does September makes any difference anymore? Or are we are just relying on outdated expectations? I'm just happy it's not another Nathaniel Goldberg cover :buzz:

@Armani please help ID the models. :flower:

Vogue Paris September 2020

Hope to See You Soon!

Photographer: Mikael Jansson
Set Designer: Jean-Michel Bertin
Stylist: Emmanuelle Alt
Hair: Damien Boissinot
Makeup: Hannah Murray
Cast: Malika Louback

Vogue Paris Digital Edition

Last edited by a moderator:

À Moi Paris

Photographer: Juergen Teller
Stylist: Aleksandra Woroniecka
Hair: Odile Gilbert
Makeup: Stephane Marais
Cast: Rianne van Rompaey

Fragments

Photography & Collage: Inez van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin
Jewellery Editor: Marie Pasquier
Cast: Edie Campbell, Adut Akech, Kate Moss, Rianne van Rompaey, Anna Ewers, Liya Kebede, Arizona Muse, Anja Rubik, Raquel Zimmermann, Rebecca Leigh Longendyke, Freja Beha Erichsen

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->