Vogue Philippines August 2023 : Dolores Ramirez by Artu Nepomuceno

crmsn

Reaction score
For-COVER-VPH-August-2023-960x1200.jpg

vogue.ph

Already available on Pressreader. Only 1 reprint as far as I know. Good issue imo.

Two issues in a row for Artu Nepomuceno and his third cover this year!

I am glad they are celebrating this phenomenal woman in science and also other women who are pioneers in Philippine culture. I appreciate this cover's simplicity and joy. Her styling in this is amazing. She is so beautiful.

Its a lovely portrait, but can they get lore creative with the art direction?

same text placement month after month. Vogue Hong Kong might have just found her long lost sister

Its a lovely portrait, but can they get lore creative with the art direction?

God, no. Less is more, this works for Vogue Philippines and there's no reason to try and be more creative with it - which usually leads to messy and ugly anyway. There's not a single magazine in the past five years (and more) where supposedly creative art direction paid off.

While I agree that they use the same text placement month after month and it's getting tiring
from a buyer's standpoint, it's true that less is more. I think they're smart for using
Vogue USA's font while making it different by the way they kern it. It's just that they
could have placed the text beside her because the right part of the cover feels empty.
Or they could have at least included the other ladies from the main editorial who
equally deserve to have their names written on the cover with what they have
done to the Filipino community through their arts and crafts.

Anyway, I browsed the issue and it's magnificent! Loads of stunning editorials from
Shaira Luna, Jerick Sanchez, and Pierfrancesco Artini. I would love to see a different
photographer's name for their anniversary issue's cover next month aside from Sharif Hamza
or Artu Nepomuceno.

God, no. Less is more, this works for Vogue Philippines and there's no reason to try and be more creative with it - which usually leads to messy and ugly anyway. There's not a single magazine in the past five years (and more) where supposedly creative art direction paid off.

It's not a matter of whether more should be added to it or not though. But placing taglines on the same place month after month strikes as laziness / grasping on what's "safe" rather than an intentional creative strategy.

It's a joyful portrait, but this cover underlines the point that Vogue, in general, is no longer a "fashion" magazine, but a general interest one -- and this is a detriment to the overall brand, as print magazines need to become more niche in order to survive. Look at the downfall of general interest women's magazines like Cosmo, Glamour, etc. Vogue should lean into fashion *more* now, not less, in order to stay relevant. This is just my opinion, and perhaps I'm wrong, but I've been following the industry for a long time, and I just don't get the pivot to this idea of being all things to all people.

When i saw this cover, reminds me to Elton John this woman with that pose & clothes.

WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE
Photographer Pierfrancesco Artini
Styling Jana Zabarska
Makeup Jimmy Stam
Hair Bianca Van Zwieten
With Qian Li
vp1.jpg vp2.jpg vp4.jpg vp3.jpg vp5.jpg vp6.jpg vp7.jpg vp8.jpg vp9.jpg

vp10.jpg
Vogue Philippines Digital Edition

Just hideous.

Unfortunate that Vogue Philippines has so quickly devolved into these cheap ModelMayhem/DeviantArt “Photoshop Wizard” showcases so quickly. The inaugural issue showed so much promise, potential and poise to promote the natural beauty and diverse cultures of the islands. With Mega Magazine being more about the nation’s high society in tacky saturated Glenda's Bazaar aesthetic, their Vogue could have been that great anecdote for international high fashion as interpreted by the beauty of the country’s landscapes/people/cultures. Instead, this sort of student project challenge to cram in as many PS filters/effects/layers is just so soulcrushing and juvenile fastfashion visuals that no one will care for one swiped left. If this trajectory continues, they’ll be going by the way of Vogue Singapore very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->