Vogue Portugal April 2019 : Alek Wek by Hugo Comte & Thado Hompa by Rhys Frampton

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by jorgepalomo, Apr 1, 2019.

1. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

2. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

Thado Hompa by Rhys Frampton

Benn98, Perickles, zoom and 5 others like this.
  3. madzedre

madzedre Member

EVERYTHING

Perickles, rubydon and ivano like this.
  4. Blayne266

Blayne266 Active Member

So simple yet so breathtakingly stunning!

dfl-001, rubydon and ivano like this.
  5. ivano

ivano Well-Known Member

Someone just read the cover rumor thread! You go Vogue Portugal!

dfl-001, gunsnroses and Blayne266 like this.
  6. mathiaskatz

mathiaskatz Active Member

7. apple

apple Well-Known Member

Yes, just yes

rubydon likes this.
  8. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Stunning!

But where’s fashun?

9. longliveamour

longliveamour Member

So are they going in-depth to include all African perspectives from the countries they colonized or??? (I'm extremely tired of the motherland tropes)

Diogo Santos, Benn98 and aracic like this.
  10. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

Spectacular cover. So subtle yet so potent.

Perickles, dfl-001 and TheoG like this.
  11. caioherrero

caioherrero Active Member

Alek ❤️❤️❤️❤️

12. Fiercification

Fiercification Well-Known Member

Of course it's amazing that she's on the cover and she looks great but conceptually...sorry there's nothing going on here!

Bertrando3 and Benn98 like this.
  13. helmutnotdead

helmutnotdead Well-Known Member

I'm so tired of reading things like: where's the fashion?

Fashion is not only about Rianne Von Rompaey -just saying an example- being fierce in a delicious couture gown. There are a lot of perspectives like this minimalist one. So please stop saying that, it's quite embarrasing and passé.

And for the cover... it's the fucking Alek Wek. You'll never see a bad picture from her.

14. gbam

gbam Active Member

Alek Wek is criminally underrated.

Instead of Kate getting British Vogue for the 40th time - 3 covers.
    Alek deserves those 3.

OllieJE likes this.
  15. helmutnotdead

helmutnotdead Well-Known Member

If Edward is smart enough, he'd make Alek Wek by Steven Meisel possible. I'm pretty thing that it could be iconic, even more than the weak Naomi-Meisel recent collab.

Royal-Galliano and vogue28 like this.
  16. Ivanovaju

Ivanovaju Active Member

Since when deeply filtered model's polaroid can be estimated as "genius cover"? Put any other in this white tank top and place US/UK/Paris/Italia Vogue logo on it. Anyone would scream that it is lazy as hell.
    But Vogue Portugal is indie/modern/arty so what could be counted as lazy will be found as something incredibly cool.
    I wonder how they are selling in Portugal. I wonder if these covers and eds are just beautiful pictures that they are "selling" abroad.

Bertrando3 and AFWQ like this.
  17. TheoG

TheoG Moderator

Insane. Two stunning covers.

Hugo Comte is incredible.

18. AFWQ

AFWQ Active Member

I don't get the idea of this issue. I truly don't.
    And Portugal has a long historical connection with Africa. But yet, they aren't interested in that. I assume this issue another one to get some likes and sells to keep dropping, and also to use in a way attention the tragedy of Mozambique is getting (it's all over social media, tv, newspapers. Portugal will even do some events to get some donations to help in a few days).
    I truly wouldn't be surprised if they use it as a marketing/publicity strategy. It wouldn't be first time Lighthouse Pub would be doing it.

Besides that, I am very happy for Alek.

Not great.
    There is a website in Portugal where they use to publish the numbers, but since this new team, they no longer get those numbers.
    Conde Nast numbers on their website are absolutely unreal! Cristina, who is the female magazine (Vogue Portugal and Elle Portugal are in this category as well) is the one that most sells in Portugal. According to the Portuguese site, Cristina's peak was 100,000 sells. I don't know exactly how Vogue Portugal sells more than this! (current number at Conde Nast: 230,000 as monthly sales. I wouldn't be surprised if the real numbers is with a zero less.)

Ever since this new team, I do hear people saying they stopped buying the magazine or they cannot find it... I can personally say their distributor sucks! I don't see the magazine anywhere that I go to. And when I bought their first four issues, I could only get them 2 or 3 days later. Their strategy is first Lisbon and Porto (main cities here) and only after the rest of the country. But the fact is, even at supermarkets, newsstands so on, where I use to see the magazine, I no longer do.

And about beautiful pictures, I can say for myself it is.

#18 AFWQ, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Diogo Santos likes this.
  19. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Quite a big coup for Thando Hopa! Very happy for her, and the shot looks dreamy, accessible, yet still with the right amount of originality. Is she wearing Ferragamo?
    As for Alek's cover, don't like it. Just like I didn't like her Vogue Ukraine cover. I dunno why stylists always have this tunnel-vision when it comes to African beauty. Alek's got such a radiant smile and attitude that it's a pity they've skipped on that for this cover. One of the very cultural differences between Europe and Africa is smiles. Walk around in any African city, smile at a local, and watch them instinctively smile back.

As for the 'Africa Motherland' tag, as a Westerner, it's probably not the wisest line to sell to Portuguese, but then I'm not familiar with how they reconcile their colonialist history.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Pinterest/Elle South Africa/Justin Teodoro

20. AFWQ

AFWQ Active Member

Things are far better than it was a few years ago.
    Current Government makes sure of it. Our Prime-Minister has Indian roots. Our Ministry of Justice is from Angola or has connections to Angola, not sure...

Portugal relationship with old colonies is basically with Brasil and Angola. Although we have CPLP, Macau and so on. Which it's absurd to me. We could be far more united and have better relationships.

Most of the population is still from Dictatorship period (when we still had colonies in Africa), people still have a closed mind in a lot of things... As in the rest of Europe. It's nothing compared to what you might see in other countries in Europe. Portugal is very pacific and calm country.