Vogue Portugal April 2019 : Alek Wek by Hugo Comte & Thado Hompa by Rhys Frampton

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by jorgepalomo, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Bertrando3

Bertrando3 Well-Known Member

I love Alek a lottttt but this cover is very very lazy, I agree with Ivanovaju and Benn98. Her previous covers were much better than this, it looks like a polaroids. If they wanted to make a simple portrait they could have least tried to put her in a better pose or position to make it visually interesting. This image is like the one of a happy girl but we barely see the clothes or the idea behind. Yes I agree not every cover should be fierce with a body head to toe shown or with a powerful weird pose or crazy face but covers NEED to be grab you. I wonder how many of you can truly say that this cover grabbed your attention as much as the ones Benn98 just shown you if these covers were together at the newsstand right now with this one. I bet it would not sell well as much as these.

Diogo Santos likes this.
  2. Wintergreen

Wintergreen Active Member

I adore both covers. Alek's is '90s minimalism perfection and the way Thado matches the sky in the background is incredibly beautiful.

3. thatsfierce

thatsfierce Well-Known Member

I'm LIVING. Alek is a leyend, she deserves this and more. So happy she's on the cover :heart:

4. lelaid

lelaid Well-Known Member

Alek's cover is just stunning!

5. happycanadian

happycanadian Well-Known Member

Alek!!! That cover is superb. Her stare just goes right through you. Ugh, so beautiful! I love the simplicity of it. She has POWER.

dfl-001 likes this.
  6. EstefaniaAbaddon

EstefaniaAbaddon Well-Known Member

230,000 physical issues? It is impossible for the Portuguese market. Not unlikely... IMPOSSIBLE. Last year's data says very clearly that Happy Woman is the top seller women/fashion magazine at around 65,000. Cristina dropped a lot last year and is now around 39,000.

Maybe they are including digital issues? And "offers"? If not, I would agree with you and say they are adding a zero. I've heard of a few Portuguese magazines doing that but when the actual data is released you can see the "embellishments".

I love Alek's cover, praise Hugo. I'll try to sneak one from someone to see if the written content has improved and the way they are addressing the issue. Is it about Africa in general? Alek is Sudanese so it is not about the Portuguese imperialist past (which is good, I have zero patience/tolerance for the whole "glamourization" of this issue).

7. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

They do digital issues? All the scans I've ever seen of this magazine since it became 'cool' are exclusively released to contributors for their portfolio. I don't even think they formally sell digital issues.

8. dontbeadrag

dontbeadrag Well-Known Member

Congrats to Alek and it is a welcome change, but... why?

Her cover looks like some Magnum photographer was doing a project on poverty in Africa. Where is fashion? Glamour? Creativity? Anything that says 'effort' actually?

I am sorry, but as a cover it is a no. As a gorgeous editorial shot? Yes!

Diogo Santos likes this.
  9. dfl-001

dfl-001 Well-Known Member

I'm so use to seeing Alek's bright warm smile, it threw me a bit they feature her here in this way, but, I'm glad they show us a new, little seen view of her. Definitely draws you into the cover. Her beauty has so much dimension. Almost 'Grace Jones' in the intensity.
    Thando's cover blending into the sky, could be a painting.

10. gbam

gbam Active Member

11. gbam

gbam Active Member

2012977262495879439_242726086.jpg
    instagram.com/ikki_casting

12. AFWQ

AFWQ Active Member

Yes, physical issues. I am not kidding. Yep it is. Those numbers represent all of the market.

Ever since the change (Cofina to Lighthouse) I have been checking the numbers once in while (I think they are update every 3 months) No, not really it's since everyone start talking about how much Hadids or Kendall actually sold. I end up finding APCT.

Here are the numbers at CN:
    20190402_195620.jpg
    source

CN site in the past posted that Vogue got 80,000 and 160,000 as monthly readers.

I truly believe that magazine isn't going well, and if they don't put half of their 300 pages with publicity, I don't think they would make it.

Is it? I just saw... Her covers were Castelo-Branco and Luisão... I don't exactly know how they sold so little. Most of year has around 40,000

This graphic is from last year.

Last time I heard no digital issues.
    All in paper.

When comes to editorials in stuff, I only see them at models com or instagram.

13. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Thanks, precisely what I thought as well. They could really expand their reach by going digital. Especially considering that so many people are interested in some of their work. Not just on here too.

AFWQ likes this.
  14. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

I'm doing my thesis about Vogue Mexico and I consulted their statics and the number of readers is not necessarily the number of print issues or the sales. For example, the number of readers of Vogue Mexico is more than 500,000 but, they only print a little more than 200,000 issues. In their media kit they specify that they have 2.5 readers for every issue they print, maybe is the same situation for Portuguese edition.

russianelf likes this.
  15. DK92

DK92 Active Member

So happy for Alek!

16. AFWQ

AFWQ Active Member

Maria Miguel by Branislav Simoncik

17. gbam

gbam Active Member

18. AFWQ

AFWQ Active Member

Honey, I'm Home
    Photography: Branislav Simoncik
    Styling: Cláudia Barros;
    Hair: Cláudio Pacheco
    Makeup: Thomas Lorenz
    Production: Helena Silva
    Model: Maria Miguel /L'Agence Lisboa

1-MARIA_MIGUEL_VOGUE_PORTUGAL_APRIL_2019_BRONISLAV_SIMONCIK.jpg 2-MARIA_MIGUEL_VOGUE_PORTUGAL_APRIL_2019_BRONISLAV_SIMONCIK-W.jpg 3-MARIA_MIGUEL_VOGUE_PORTUGAL_APRIL_2019_BRONISLAV_SIMONCIK.jpg 4-MARIA_MIGUEL_VOGUE_PORTUGAL_APRIL_2019_BRONISLAV_SIMONCIK.jpg 5-MARIA_MIGUEL_VOGUE_PORTUGAL_APRIL_2019_BRONISLAV_SIMONCIK.jpg 6-MARIA_MIGUEL_VOGUE_PORTUGAL_APRIL_2019_BRONISLAV_SIMONCIK.jpg 7-MARIA_MIGUEL_VOGUE_PORTUGAL_APRIL_2019_BRONISLAV_SIMONCIK.jpg
    source: blog.nextmanagement

#38 AFWQ, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  19. GinAndTonic

GinAndTonic Member

Is there somewhere online where we can get this magazine? There’s a few issues on Ebay but the prices are way over the top...

20. Perickles

Perickles Well-Known Member

Alek Wek is perfection. Totally flawless.