Vogue Portugal April 2019 : Alek Wek by Hugo Comte & Thado Hompa by Rhys Frampton

I'm so tired of reading things like: where's the fashion?

Fashion is not only about Rianne Von Rompaey -just saying an example- being fierce in a delicious couture gown. There are a lot of perspectives like this minimalist one. So please stop saying that, it's quite embarrasing and passé.

And for the cover... it's the f*cking Alek Wek. You'll never see a bad picture from her.

Yes, it only shows that they don't know anything about fashion. If you just don't have sense of aesthetic then you can't appreciate different ones. It is okay to dislike something but don't do it just because you don't understand it.

230,000 physical issues? It is impossible for the Portuguese market. Not unlikely... IMPOSSIBLE. Last year's data says very clearly that Happy Woman is the top seller women/fashion magazine at around 65,000. Cristina dropped a lot last year and is now around 39,000.

Maybe they are including digital issues? And "offers"? If not, I would agree with you and say they are adding a zero. I've heard of a few Portuguese magazines doing that but when the actual data is released you can see the "embellishments".

I love Alek's cover, praise Hugo. I'll try to sneak one from someone to see if the written content has improved and the way they are addressing the issue. Is it about Africa in general? Alek is Sudanese so it is not about the Portuguese imperialist past (which is good, I have zero patience/tolerance for the whole "glamourization" of this issue).
Maybe that number also includes subscription copies?

I don't get the idea of this issue. I truly don't.
And Portugal has a long historical connection with Africa. But yet, they aren't interested in that. I assume this issue another one to get some likes and sells to keep dropping, and also to use in a way attention the tragedy of Mozambique is getting (it's all over social media, tv, newspapers. Portugal will even do some events to get some donations to help in a few days).
I truly wouldn't be surprised if they use it as a marketing/publicity strategy. It wouldn't be first time Lighthouse Pub would be doing it.

Besides that, I am very happy for Alek.

Not great.
There is a website in Portugal where they use to publish the numbers, but since this new team, they no longer get those numbers.
Conde Nast numbers on their website are absolutely unreal! Cristina, who is the female magazine (Vogue Portugal and Elle Portugal are in this category as well) is the one that most sells in Portugal. According to the Portuguese site, Cristina's peak was 100,000 sells. I don't know exactly how Vogue Portugal sells more than this! (current number at Conde Nast: 230,000 as monthly sales. I wouldn't be surprised if the real numbers is with a zero less.)

Ever since this new team, I do hear people saying they stopped buying the magazine or they cannot find it... I can personally say their distributor sucks! I don't see the magazine anywhere that I go to. And when I bought their first four issues, I could only get them 2 or 3 days later. Their strategy is first Lisbon and Porto (main cities here) and only after the rest of the country. But the fact is, even at supermarkets, newsstands so on, where I use to see the magazine, I no longer do.

And about beautiful pictures, I can say for myself it is.

Very happy for Alek too but whats the point of having her on the cover if you are just going to do a basic polaroid shot.... I'm so tired of this aesthetic.

And it's very sad to see Vogue PT doing so much better and still hiring foreigner photographers to shoot while amazing local photographers don't get anything...

Maybe that number also includes subscription copies?

The 230,000 sales on Conde Nast website are impossible. It represents most of the magazine market in Portugal. A usual number for the category Vogue is in goes from 20,000 to 50,000

Cristina's 100,000 sales, magazine had sold out. It was the first issue.

Vogue Portugal has a total of circulation of 40,000.

Last edited:
I'm doing my thesis about Vogue Mexico and I consulted their statics and the number of readers is not necessarily the number of print issues or the sales. For example, the number of readers of Vogue Mexico is more than 500,000 but, they only print a little more than 200,000 issues. In their media kit they specify that they have 2.5 readers for every issue they print, maybe is the same situation for Portuguese edition.
that would be pretty much the case. plus all publishing houses like to make those numbers nicer than they really are because at the end of the day, that's how they lure the advertisers.

i don't like either cover. alek's shoot looks dated, she is a radiant personality that's not necessarily showing here.

I I do hear people saying they stopped buying the magazine or they cannot find it... I can personally say their distributor sucks! I don't see the magazine anywhere that I go to.

I have a friend that owns a kiosk in Portugal and the problem is the way the system works. No one is guaranteed anything, what you get available to you as a seller (even the amount of newspapers) is dependant on what you sold previously. He used to get two Vogue issues per month but because they were frequently (but not always) returned unsold, the distributor decided he should not get any. Unless specifically requested by the retailer for a particular client they won't send it. Those issues will go instead to other parts of town where the magazine does sell. That logic can be applied to the whole country, creating clusters and concentrating the magazine in very few areas or even towns.

I have a friend that owns a kiosk in Portugal and the problem is the way the system works. No one is guaranteed anything, what you get available to you as a seller (even the amount of newspapers) is dependant on what you sold previously. He used to get two Vogue issues per month but because they were frequently (but not always) returned unsold, the distributor decided he should not get any. Unless specifically requested by the retailer for a particular client they won't send it. Those issues will go instead to other parts of town where the magazine does sell. That logic can be applied to the whole country, creating clusters and concentrating the magazine in very few areas or even towns.

This happens like this too in Madrid for international Vogue editions. They usually always have Vogue US, Vogue Italia, Vogue Paris and Vogue Spain but then some kiosks have Vogue Japan, Vogue UK, Vogue Germany and Vogue Sposa/Kids/Men. I haven´t seen other editions in the city.

For people talking about the numbers: readership and circulation differ. Just like jorgepalomo said, circulation is the number of copies sold (or printed), readership represents all the people who read that issue. So if you bought a copy and later give it to your friends or family, you all count within the readership (thus I consider it a silliness and just a marketing trick).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->