Vogue Portugal September 2018 : Crystal Renn by Branislav Simoncik

STUNNING

It is only now that I realise how much I missed Crystal Renn and maybe even Sophie Dahl. Ashley and the other girl has made mediocrity the norm. Crystal looks amazing, tremendous presence, especially in the video.
I like that the cover have a sort of Latin flair which should appeal to natives when in fact the storyline appears to be West Side Story(?) Great effort, perfectly executed. Could do without all the naked guys though.

This is such a fantastic cover :clap: full of real life and energy, and just fully enticing you to grab a copy to read.

Even the second cover is gorgeous, everything works here. Like the good old VI/Franca/Meisel days, sigh!

Oh and Ben, I miss Sophie, and her gorgeous face, as well. Across all boards, the new models do not excite me, at all.

On first cover they used someone called Felix who a was set director. I look at this information and question why they would use a figurative person with some great portuguese models on set?

But I give it to Branislav on this. He does know how to take a great photo (mean it on first cover)

It feels a more portuguese on it. You feel passion and somewhat warmth on it. And you don't see that on others...

On second one, is just same bizarre cold nordic aesthectic try to be portuguese and not being able to... Photo is way to crop. Models head are cut off. You have a space on center you don't need it. Crystal is at corner of photo. The skirt is from Carlos Gil, you can even see it is, even some models clothes. It just bizarre aesthetic we have seen in some covers of Vogue Portugal...

Only saw preview of video, but what I saw of behind the scenes of this shoot shared on social media, I seriously DO NOT understand why Svetikova, casting director, cannot stop putting models who resemble or are from easthood europe? It would really hard just not do it once. Just one! One editorial!

^^^That would be lovely. But I want a new era, not a retro-version of sex and passion circa VI-2001.
I really like it. Reminds me of Alexander McQueen's show inspired by They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Absolutely. Down to the guy in white tank and slicked back hair, and the way he's holding Crystal. The 2nd covershot is very classic VI/Prada campaign circa early-2000. They’re so transparent with their tributes. Both are gorgeously executed in this case, of course. Just that it’s not moving HF forward. These tributes to Franca’s Vogue, to McQueen’s show, to Prada are all looking back and can’t offer anything that’s their own. They’re still a bunch of kidz playing dressup. Admittedly, they got it looking good this time. Now,hopefully they can translate their tributes to something that's fresh and of their own.

The male model on the first cover is Felix Gesnouin :smile:

Gorgeous cover! The best September cover by a country mile (and possibly my favourite cover of the year up to now). Such a breath of fresh air to see something exciting and visually impactful compared to the dross thats churned out on the daily nowadays. Would love to get my hands on this!

It's all stunning. Branislav is clearly somebody who loves to infuse his editorials with theatricality and drama (he also shot the fantastic cover story of Karolina for Vogue Czechoslovakia).

SOOO happy to see Crystal Renn back. She always brings a commanding presence to her editorial work. Didn't realize how much I had missed her until now.

All 3 covers are magnificent, in my opinion. But the first in particular I love.

^^^That would be lovely. But I want a new era, not a retro-version of sex and passion circa VI-2001.

Absolutely. Down to the guy in white tank and slicked back hair, and the way he's holding Crystal. The 2nd covershot is very classic VI/Prada campaign circa early-2000. They’re so transparent with their tributes. Both are gorgeously executed in this case, of course. Just that it’s not moving HF forward. These tributes to Franca’s Vogue, to McQueen’s show, to Prada are all looking back and can’t offer anything that’s their own. They’re still a bunch of kidz playing dressup. Admittedly, they got it looking good this time. Now,hopefully they can translate their tributes to something that's fresh and of their own.
I agree, for sure.

These really are gorgeous covers. What works is that these look stylized - and we haven't seen anything so stylized and considered and intentional looking in a while. Natural, candid and casual have been the only look in fashion we've gotten for years now, so I really do respond to these covers for the reason that they offer an alternative that is well executed.

However, it is a bit too throwback. I love Crystal - she's stunning and knows how to bring passion and energy to an editorial. So few girls can even fake that these days. But I really would have loved to have had something here that would feel NEW in a way. I know there's nothing truly NEW under the sun, but there's always a new way to remix things for them to feel fresh and more forward thinking.

The team that pulled this all together clearly has the know-how to make something look expensive...would love to see them come up with of this level of execution with just a tad more forward thinking. So few now have the ability to create production value of this level these days...would be great to see what else they could do.

He isn't model according to team instagram he is set director and art director assistent.

Jodé Santana (Artistic Director) post the picture in his IG and gave Felix credits as a model. Even Felix’s IG has pictures of him modelling. :smile:

^Agreed. First and foremost, Felix is a model. Anyway, Vogue Portugal should learn that when a very good cover is done no need to have several ones. They lost me with the two others not because they are bad but because it feels like they were not sure. Being decisive is truly lacking in publication seriously...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->