Vogue Russia August 2020 : Vilma Sjöberg by Camilla Akrans

The issue almost doesn’t have advertising
Only few spreads at the beginning and 3th and 4rd cover
And it has a reprint Of this pedestrian Zara-request Ed with Anja Rubik from vogue paris may-June.
The other gal in Arkans Ed is uncredited, the Ed was produced in Stockholm (Where Vilma and Camilla reside, I assume) and this stylist I don’t even know her. By the way, I can’t recall ever seeing any Nina Ricci ad in Vogue Russia and this dress is on the cover... everything else apart from cover story (which isn’t even looking like taken by Camilla) is forgettable and have no need to be mentioned

Overall Major eye roll

Vogue Russia During their latest zoom conference for partners said that Condé Nast worldwide and vogue Russia preparing something global and so very special for September So September issue will be out like 2nd September. And was announced like a packed one. let’s see. My bet - it’s gonna be something we’ve seen as family issue in January But worsen due to COVID

giphy.gif

Giphy

I don't like the cropping and the composition of the photo, but it's a cute cover.
It's more of an indie teen magazine than Vogue in my opinion.

I wish both models were in the shot and the mast head had a different colour also that little arm on the lower right corner looks creepy af bringing 'Aliens' vibes!

Looking at the monstrosity from last month, I think it's a good cover.

Vogue Russia August 2020

Photographer: Camilla Akrans
Stylist: Linda Lindqwister
Hair: Kalle Eklund
Makeup: Ignacio Alonso
Cast: Vilma Sjöberg

Vogue Russia Digital Edition

Vogue Russia August 2020

Photographer: David Ferrua
Stylist: Katerina Zolototrubova
Hair: Vi Sapyyapy
Makeup: Karin Westerlund
Cast: Ansolet Rossouw

Vogue Russia August 2020

Photographer: Arseny Jabiev
Stylist: Olga Dunina
Hair: Konstantin Kochegov
Makeup: Kate Mur
Cast: Misha Natali, Liza Han, Polina Levin

Why on Earth wasn't the photograph from their page 87 the cover image? I'd buy the issue without a doubt!

The other gal in Arkans Ed is uncredited, the Ed was produced in Stockholm (Where Vilma and Camilla reside, I assume) and this stylist I don’t even know her. By the way, I can’t recall ever seeing any Nina Ricci ad in Vogue Russia and this dress is on the cover... everything else apart from cover story (which isn’t even looking like taken by Camilla) is forgettable and have no need to be mentioned.

Linda Lindqwister styles regularly for the 4 Scandinavian editions of Elle, so I'm guessing that's the connection, lol. I imagine she'll be a forerunner for the CD or EIC position once Vogue will launch in that region.
I don't mind Ricci getting the cover because it's actually a refreshing sight. We tend to see the same brands over and over on covers and that sort of monopoly is so tired and predictable at this stage. They could easily have given the spotlight to Vuitton, who already got the opening look of the main edit, so in a way that's brave of Vogue Russia. After all, how will rare brands get a foot into a market if nobody is willing to promote them? I recall Vogue Australia did the same with Paco Rabanne.

Vogue Russia During their latest zoom conference for partners said that Condé Nast worldwide and vogue Russia preparing something global and so very special for September So September issue will be out like 2nd September. And was announced like a packed one. let’s see. My bet - it’s gonna be something we’ve seen as family issue in January But worsen due to COVID

Vogue Russia, Masha Fedorova
“The author of the September cover of Vogue Russia is Erik Bulatov [the piece is titled Nadeshda]. He is a classic of Sots art [Soviet Pop Art] and an artist of the level and scale of David Hockney and John Baldessari. Back in the 1970s, in the late Soviet Union, he became famous for works that combined the rhetoric of the Soviet poster and landscape painting, and now, living in Paris, remains one of the most famous and expensive Russian artists. The last show of Gosha Rubchinskiy took place against the background of his work Freedom. Надежда (‘hope’ in Russian), flying in the clouds, is a universal symbol for us, in which every person on Earth can put their meanings and aspirations. We at Vogue believe in the power of words, art and visualisation as much as we believe in style and taste.”
vogue.co.uk via aracic

Does zilch for me and cannot even remember the last time I admired anything produced by Camilla Akrans, who used to be a firm favourite of mine during the glory days of American Harper's Bazaar and Numéro.

Much like Vogue China, Vogue Russia seems to have quietly resigned to being a matronly conservative lady who’s left the sexual/daring/provocative/glamorous creature she once was behind. So there’s no point in pining for that sublime past anymore. And in that context, the coverstory and the one with the dogs/cats are actually rather straightup lovely. It’s just so unfortunately dragged down by bland, department-store level of fashion. There was a lively discussion of Cavalli’s 2005 collection for one hot second on another thread-- and as trashy as the Cavalli image may have been, the separates are divine and so dramatic they’ve endured the test of time: Imagining all his (Peter Dundas designed) ruffled gowns with their volumes and textures for this shoot (along with the likes of 2005 McQueen/Gaultier/Galliano for Dior) would have killed it.

And imagining Arseny’s story with 2005 Prada/Burberry Prorsum/Miu Miu/Dior Homme— all of whom do such a modern, graphic perversity on Anglo-Saxon classics to elevate the sweetness of this cast and its location to another plain. Without strong fashions, such easygoing imagery falls into forgettability too quickly :sigh:

(Benn left out the passably solid Miss Vogue "Смешанные чувства”, which is elevated by decently quirky, layered styling and a Debbie Harry lookalike.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NavidNoor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->