Vogue Russia Special Edition 2018 'Flowers in Vogue' : Shalom Harlow by Irving Penn

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by vogue28, Nov 6, 2018.

1. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

brikin and AFWQ like this.
  2. Lucien112

Lucien112 Member

This is lovely but kind of a waste of Shalom. Hopefully the editorial actually shows her face.

3. aracic

aracic Well-Known Member

It's actually a reprint, from 1995, Vogue US.

samoanceleb and AFWQ like this.
  4. Lucien112

Lucien112 Member

Ugh you're right. Election day in the US has my brain fried.

TheoG likes this.
  5. AFWQ

AFWQ Active Member

One of most beautiful Vogue covers I have seen recently!

6. Khabeer

Khabeer Member

An oldie but goodie

ivano likes this.
  7. ellastica

ellastica Well-Known Member

Nostalgia is everywhere in our culture. So is a desire for authenticity.

Is this simply Pinterest/IG/tumblr picture vomit spread all over the pages of a monthly magazine? You know a ten minute research sesh with Google, grab tumblr photos, add Wiki-like captions thrown together by some 'journalist' who 'discovered' Penn thanks to tumblr 5 years ago?

To me this forumla sums up the downward spiral of predictable mainstream online fashion listicle writing and photo 'research' which has infected the world of fashion magazines.

However, if this turns out to be a thoughtfully planned and beautifully executed labor of love made possible with well-researched archive imagery, insightful, exclusive behind the scenes interview quotes and anecdotes showcasing rare, never before seen editorial photos, outtakes then YES! I will snap this up in a heartbeat.

With that said I would've cherished and relished these images that much more had they been memorialized in a collectible hard-bound book format.

PS Major props to US VOGUE for this insightful article on Delia's model Janelle Fishman, complete with an exclusive interview, quotes, bts photos by Kevin Hatt and all!

Maybe writer STEFF YOTKA @ VOGUE took my TFS rant to heart :cool:. Magazines and social media outlets alike take note!

I had this stunning Penn image pinned to my gigantic mood board in the mid 90s :heart:

8. russianelf

russianelf Active Member

This is a yearly special issue dedicated to a certain theme, where they indeed publish photos from old Vogue editions. Sort of a retrospective. Personally, I feel it's really nice, has good paper quality and enough info to keep you interested (had, at least, because I haven't bought it in years lol).

9. ellastica

ellastica Well-Known Member

I'm already intrigued. When did VOGUE RU start publishing these yearly collectors issues? So are these essentially collections of US VOGUE reprints then? How many pages?

As someone who grew up devouring so many of these floral themed editorial images, I really crave insight, something new to be added; like a director's cut if you will for magazines.

10. russianelf

russianelf Active Member

They are reprints from all international Vogue editions. I think their first one was 'Nude in Vogue' in 2012, which had a pretty good collection of images on very nice paper. A nice coffee table 'book'. Then they had 'Russia in Vogue' - it was A3 sized, very lovely. Lots of short stories about people and places used in Vogue throughout history. Don't quote me on that, but I believe they went all the way to the 30s or the 50s for material.
    Stopped buying after that because I found the themes boring. I'm intrigued by this one though.

Benn98 likes this.
  11. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

And it's by Irving Penn so you'll have to dig him up to get him to change it.

I know he's considered a master, rightly so, but I really don't like this shot. Looks like something done in Paint, Windows 95, obviously. You'd find better shots of overwrought garlands during the Vreeland era.

I much prefer this edition to the Dutch version. Their themes and ultimate choices tend to be far more interesting.

ivano likes this.
  12. EstefaniaAbaddon

EstefaniaAbaddon Well-Known Member

I was about to say " Finally a good cover, now this is how you do it"... and then I read your comment. :lol: Nevermind then! :innocent:

aracic likes this.
  13. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

The fact that it is shot by Penn didn’t give away that it’s a reprint?

14. EstefaniaAbaddon

EstefaniaAbaddon Well-Known Member

I didn't see it in the title and the Instagram post didn't say it either. :wink:

mikel likes this.