Vogue Taiwan March 2021 : Chiharu Okunugi by James Law

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by MDNA, Mar 1, 2021.

1. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

2. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Stunning, I knew they'd show up. It's actually almost understated for Vogue Taiwan because creativity is a constant for them. They don't have to break their backs trying to come up with a theme like all the other Vogues.

Also, so happy to see Chiharu Okunugi book such a big cover because she's got so much promise. As long as the Italian woman is at Vogue Japan no Japanese model will ever reach the top because they're are not supported enough by the magazine.

Malaya, annajer, Razjel and 5 others like this.
  3. oaklee91

oaklee91 Active Member

Very happy to see Chiharu. I’ve always liked her since her debut YEARS ago. It’s very true. Many models from Japan including Chiharu have not been getting enough support, especially not from their own country’s big publications. It’s bordering offensive.

Her face always reminds me of Gong Li for some reason, very romantic but with an edgy side. Just adore her

If she were from China, she would’ve covered Vogue China one too many times already, for sure.

By the way, how many OG Vogue Japan covers has she had?

Phuel, Razjel, Benn98 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Armani

Armani Tech Support ⌨♥

Very refreshing. I believe Krini Hernandez is the other model alongside Chiharu in some of these shots.

oaklee91 likes this.
  5. THD96

THD96 Well-Known Member

The way Leslie Sun carrying the entire Condé Mast on her back. One year in and she only getting better. Since Leslie took over, all her cover stars are local Taiwanese or Asian neighbors. Unlike all other Asian Vogue editions, who keen to featured more Western models in order to appear more international.

The cover works without even trying to hard to achieve the theme.

6. Srdjan

Srdjan Well-Known Member

Vogue in Japan is not the same as Vogue in UK, for example, a primary fashion authority. Licensed titles such as Vogue, Bazaar and Elle are simply magazines devoted to Western fashion, culture, aesthetics and beauty standards while on the other hand, there are dozens and dozens of Japanese glossies focusing on everything local.

7. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

In a shifting world, I doubt whether Vogue Japan would be able to continue with that model for much longer. In fact I'd say they've already started toying with the idea of adding a local edge to the magazine because I've been seeing an above-average count of local photographers, celebrities and models. And the fact that higher-ups enforce themes such as Hope issue or the Creativity issue, which basically forces VJ and others to look for talent in their own country, will only make it harder for ADR to continue with this direction. They've nurtured this Western-loving Japanese reader from the start, now it's time to re-educate them or seek out new ones.

For Chiharu to get the cover of a local magazine in Japan is not nearly as prestigious as getting the cover of Vogue Japan. ADR must know this. The last time a Japanese model booked the cover on her own was in 2013.

8. oaklee91

oaklee91 Active Member

Yes I’m aware. I’ve been to Japan a number of times and I love to visit Kinokuniya in my home country. And those glossies usually don’t grace high fashion models, usually commercial models, celebs, gravure models, etc. Which is sad because then, where do Japanese high fashion model go in their own country? Who’s going to support them if their big high fashion publications don’t put them on the map?

International publications may use them from time to time, on a whim... But that’s it. There’s no sense of loyalty coming from within. I wonder if that’s really what the Japanese market pursues: western aesthetics. Or maybe all this time, people just nod along to what has been put for them.

I’m from Southeast Asia and a Bermudian friend once asked me: why does it seem like Asian people love to do plastic surgeries to make themselves look more western? I told him, I don’t think they ultimately want to look western or more western because many Asians were also born with big eyes, high noses, fair skin... But, he’s not wrong either. In Asia years of colonization might have played some role in creating the current beauty perceptions. Being beautiful may translate to having big and wide eyes, high nose, fair skin... And these big publications don’t help at all.

That’s why I applaud Angelica of Vogue China who had been very supportive and loyal of their own talents but still managed to feature Caucasian models on the covers from time to time.

Nomar, annajer, Phuel and 4 others like this.
  9. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Very gorgeous cover and a spectacular editorial. Yes it’s a studio shoot, but it has life to it.

Really proud of Leslie and how she solidified her direction in a very short amount of time. Vogue Taiwan, from being the one to watch, is now a force to reckon with.

annajer and Razjel like this.
  10. SLFC

SLFC Well-Known Member

I mean pretty effortless as usual, the cover reminds me of a kind of video editing effect that I've used before. Vogue Taiwan just might end up beating Vogue Paris for being my favorite edition. Now I just need enough of them to match how many Vogue Paris I have in my collection.

11. bluestar

bluestar Well-Known Member

The cover is stunning and I love Chiharu. The editorial is lacking imo though.

12. Krystalblue006

The editorial is not my favorite but the cover is brilliant. So so striking

13. FashionMuseDior

FashionMuseDior Well-Known Member

14. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Stunning! Once again Vogue Taiwan saves the day.

15. Hafyiez wafa

Hafyiez wafa Well-Known Member

16. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

Interesting!

17. Bertrando3

Bertrando3 Well-Known Member

This truly is the gem out of all the Vogue worldwide. I mean: COME ON that cover in white which is soooooo out of this world that no other Vogue has done is fabulous!!!

18. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Vogue Taiwan March 2021

[​IMG]

Color Play by Daniel Arsham

Photographer: James Law
    Creative Direction: Daniel Arsham
    Stylist: Lisa Jarvis
    Hair: Darine Sengseevong
    Makeup: Ayami Nishimura
    Cast: Chiharu Okunugi, Krini Hernandez

[​IMG]