Vogue Thailand October 2018 : Gemma Ward by Wasan Puengprasert

Gemma making a comeback is one of the most exciting things in fashion right now! At the same time, this cover is not great. Gemma herself is the only good thing about it. The styling is really bad.

this is not a good comeback for her...she deserves so much better

I just want Gemma Ward to stop with this 'comeback.' It's embarrassing to see her hustle so hard, and getting rewarded with scraps. Random POP cover here, Vogue Thailand there. The industry changed and she's will never be welcomed with open arms, like the supers. That's the reality. And it's not her personally, same applies to Sasha, Maggie Rizer, Audrey Marnay, Kirsty Hume. They were bona fide icons in the hf industry, not the mass industry at large.

Cover looks like it would be perfect for a chocolate or juice ad of Thai origin. Cheesy and contrived. But I'm sure it will be a hit in Thailand because they seem to be obsessed with this golden hue for advertising.

A cheap knock-off of Vogue China October 2012 with Li Bing Bing. Look it up.

Happy for Gemma though. She deserves better.

She did so much work for every major fashion magazine that you’d think one of them would have the goodwill to give her a cover or major edit and yet nothing. I find it truly strange especially because she arises a type of nostalgia for her era that no other big model from that time does.

I supposed she’s the Molly Ringwald of fashion. Forever beloved for an era and forever trapped in it.

I just want Gemma Ward to stop with this 'comeback.' It's embarrassing to see her hustle so hard, and getting rewarded with scraps. Random POP cover here, Vogue Thailand there. The industry changed and she's will never be welcomed with open arms, like the supers. That's the reality. And it's not her personally, same applies to Sasha, Maggie Rizer, Audrey Marnay, Kirsty Hume. They were bona fide icons in the hf industry, not the mass industry at large.
You raise a good point, but i don't quite consider two Vogue Australia covers and now a Vogue Thailand cover scraps. It's definitely not her Vogue Italia heyday, but she's just having fun and seems to be enjoying herself more, even more than her first comeback in 2014. She's been in aus with her family the past few years, so i always assumed the sporadic nature of her recent work was more a conscious decision than a lack of bookings. Aside from literally Kate Moss and a couple others, there are plenty more iconic models who get even less and would bend over backwards for any Vogue cover.

I like it, it really celebrates Gemma, and is the best of her 3 comeback Vogue covers since 2014, and the fact they put her name on the cover too is a nice little nod to her as an icon as opposed to any random model.

Are you all kidding??? A Vogue cover is still an achievement, Vogue Thailand has done cool covers anyways, it´s not Vogue Taiwan lol. Gemma looks AMAZINGGGG her hair, the face, the pose and it does not look cheap to me, it looks original and special. It could be the light that makes the umbrellas a tad fake but it´s true that Asian and Indian countries have this way of photographing and using props that do not always look so `real´ but it´s their style. I don´t know, to me it´s a fun cover with a cool and beautiful supermodel. I also like the fact that Gemma picks her jobs and focuses on her and her family and being in Australia, nothing wrong with that, she will not come back 200% with 10 Vogue covers every month like she used to or walking every runway, it´s ok, I settled for that ahaha no matter how much I would like to see her do it all as she used to or to replace the boring Bella, Kendal or other fake models but hey it´s 2018 so top models like Coco, Raquel, Gemma and others just pop her and there but not full time.

I want to love it because is Gemma but such a cheap cover! so much yellow and why the pedestrial outfit?!

Cover looks like it would be perfect for a chocolate or juice ad of Thai origin. Cheesy and contrived. But I'm sure it will be a hit in Thailand because they seem to be obsessed with this golden hue for advertising.

I don´t think she came back because she missed the fashion world, her acting career didn´t pan out and she´s gotta work, right? so she now has to work a bit harder like any newcomer, nothing wrong with that...

@magsaddict and @kokobombon ......all I'm saying is that I tend to read her name along with the 'comeback' phrase a lot not only on here, but also on websites like Vogue, W, Models.com. Comeback, just so we're clear, signifies a return to a field where you were once successful. In most cases it's a return with a vengeance (see Kate Moss.) In Gemma's case I tend to think, maybe we'll see her in US/UK Vogue, with Meisel or Sims, yet another Prada campaign perhaps? I'm not being negative over the fact that she's back or that she has to work. Maybe everyone should just stop hyping this 'comeback' so much, especially with intros such as these:

'Is the return of Gemma too much for you? Can you breathe? Anyone need CPR? Experiencing heart palpitations?'

Right! Then she proceeds to be shunned by the above mentioned supporters and end up on.......... the cover of Vogue Thailand! Which is not exactly a beacon of fashion brilliance. Sorry. Just my opinion, lol!

To be fair, that headline was September 2014 right after the Prada opening moment, after which she did their SS15 and eyewear campaigns shot by Meisel. She also did the Givenchy campaign, went to the MET Gala, walked for CK and was shot by Testino, Steven Klein and I&V, not to mention a Fergie video by Mert and Marcus during that first return between 2014-16. You're right about the lack of support by the major 4 Vogues and some of the brands she used to work for extensively, but i still think it was a decent effort.

I do think the way they hyped her 'comeback' was always going to appear underwhelming stacked against the body of work she did during her prime, but it's also an easy way to educate younger fashion followers about who exactly these models are. A lot of young people interested in fashion weren't necessarily of age in the early to mid 2000s, so saying comeback gives them some context. At least part of the reason she left the industry was to act, which so far has been one meaty role in a small aussie film (a great movie actually!) and a couple brief supporting roles. She looks amazing on this cover, and may even remind a few clients of why she is so special to so many fashion fans.

If anyone is wondering, she's wearing Bottega Veneta, with a Ferragamo belt and a Loewe earring.

Last edited:
To be fair, that headline was September 2014 ...........

Check the timestamp on these links. The W article was reprinted from the original Vogue Australia plug. I'm sure I can find more receipts if I apply my mind to it, but I've got better things to do than to worry about Gemma Ward's profile.

Gemma Ward Is Finally Ready to Make Her Comeback
Gemma Ward Returns To Modeling For Proenza Schouler At NYFW
Gemma Ward finally ready to make her fashion comeback – Cover Media
Model Gemma Ward looks off duty chic as she gets ice cream with her kids in NYC | Daily Mail Online

What a horrible cover, and a horrible waste of Gemma, makes me angry to see this nonsense!!!

Amen! It had to be said. :clap:

Looks like a holiday brochure, one that's been designed to appeal to people already living in the country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apriloneil1987
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->