Vogue Turkey March 2010 : Jessica Stam by Patrick Demarchelier

Great start for Vogue Turkey!
Love the simple cover, and Jessica's ed is just beautiful! Great styling.
Thanks for the snaps larien.

Amazing hair and such a smoldering look. Really shows her beautiful nose nicely.

I'm in Istanbul now (for two weeks probably), I will be back to Paris in the end of this month. So if somebody from Paris wants this edition of turkish Vogue, let me know.

I've already bought two copies.

^ LOL, i'll think about it, that could be fun to have a copie of this first issue!
I'll let you know, and thanks for the proposition.

London-based design agency, Foxall Associates, was chosen by Conde Nast to art direct their new title, Vogue Türkiye now on your newsstands with 562 pages and Jessica Stam on the cover. Based in Europe's largest city Istanbul the latest fashion bible on the scene will be published 12 times a year. For more image previews and few more words from Foxall Associates continue after the jump:

"The cover was literally one of the last things we tackled. We wanted to see how the content and design took shape before we wrapped up the pages with the cover. Seda Domanic (the Editor in Chief) put huge faith in Iain and I while we kept brushing aside her concerns for the late cover development. It was as though we needed the adrenaline of a deadline to make an impacting cover, so the later we left it the better the cover would be.
We see the cover as a kind of transition from the Conde Nast cradle into Turkey's own independent Vogue. Patrick Demarchelier is synonymous with the Vogue image and we saw him as being perfect to set the sail. And with Jessica's punchy features and her huge popularity in Turkey we knew it would give the right impact. In the chosen shot she emanates a confidence and aloofness that is shared with our vision of the Vogue Türkiye woman.
It was a unanimous decision not to crowd the cover with cover lines. It makes a break from our competitors and is much more of a confident statement and a bit of a risk at the same time – which, after all, is what Vogue is all about.”

The design was the result of six months of research and development. It's been a great experience working between Conde Nast in London and the Vogue office in Istanbul, and we’re all very happy with the first issue. It sets out everything that we wanted to do: Maintain the architype of Vogue, whilst creating our own confident local edition that competes and compliments the magazine’s family look around the world. The creative industry is not that deeply rooted in Istanbul so it has been hard for Turkey to visualise herself. The typical arabesque swirls or motifs are what stops Turkey having its own modern visual identity, so they were out from the beginning.
However, the Mediterranean influence is everywhere: It's a very positive culture, and so we wanted the content to jump off the pages in a celebratory manner. Way back in the beginning, Iain said that he wanted someone in Brazil to be able to read the magazine and have a feeling of contemporary life and style in Turkey. Iain split his time between Foxall Associates' main studio in east London and Vogue's Istanbul office. Working partly from London helped give a perspective on the design: We were primarily designing for the Turkish public, of course, but we also wanted the magazine's design to make sense globally. We think we've succeeded where the magazine definitely has a Turkish feel to it, but is not pushed to the point of becoming decorative – it retains a seriousness, which is essential.
The photography also reflects the same boldness. We commission a mix of new blood and old hats, from Turkey and around the world.”

designscene

jessica looks stunning. i like the art direction of the shoot overall.
although i had my money on the fact that Turkey would debut its issue with a blonde on the cover, lol. the turks' blonde obsession perseveres.

I personnaly hate Jessica Stam (still don't understand why she booked the previous Fendi campaign coz she was such a mess!) I'm not so sure either about the colour palet of that cover and the title of the country looks amateur and not pro. The styling is ... ok it's a shame coz the cover isn't good in my opinion and it's one of my fav photographers who shot it : Demarchelier

The eds are way better than Vogue Portugal, Spain, Korea and Germany! What a great start

For their first issue, I think Vogue Turkey did a superb job. The content inside seems incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->