Von Dutch

stylegurrl

Reaction score
Fashion, money and racism

Category: uk Dated: 05/10/2004

The British cap retailers, Capitate.co.uk have withdrawn all Von Dutch caps from their website, and are offering to refund customers who send the hats back to them.

The British cap retailers, Capitate.co.uk have withdrawn all Von Dutch caps from their website, and are offering to refund customers who send the hats back to them.

The decision was made after an article appeared in the Orange County Weekly, alleging that Kenneth Howard, the man behind the Von Dutch label was a Nazi sympathiser.

Capitate’s spokesman, Ian Spencer said, “The stories coming out are pretty shocking. Von Dutch was certainly one of our most sought after styles. We appreciate that the Von Dutch racism reports are alleged, but nevertheless, we feel that giving our customers this option is the right thing to do.”

A one-time friend of Mr Howard, Robert Williams described what he was like to the Orange County Weekly, “He was quite a racist; didn’t like anybody. He had all the trappings of a neo-Nazi. He could not tolerate black people”.

Kenneth Howard died in 1992 at the age of 63, and while some may argue that withdrawing a line of clothing based on the personal views of a dead designer don’t matter much, others strongly disagree.

Opinions

Left to right, Venicia, Dee-Dee and Dina. These young ladies are concerned about implied meanings behind designer labels.
By making his clothing and getting people to wear it then obviously he’s trying to spread a message without saying anything. He hasn’t opened his mouth verbally, but he is saying something.

Venicia, London College of Fashion Student
Black Britain went for a bit of a stroll down Oxford Street in London, and spoke to some fashion conscious youngsters, to find out whether they had any concerns about the moral beliefs of the designers behind the clothes they like to wear.

The results of our mini-survey reveal an interesting split; the young men weren’t very concerned about fashion and moral issues, whereas the young ladies were very concerned. Does this mean that men need to look a little more beyond the label itself to what’s behind it?

This is what some of them had to say,

“I’m not too bothered about it, as long as what I’m wearing looks good; I’m not too bothered about the history or moral beliefs of anything really.” - Dan, Westminster College Student

“If I like a certain design it’s because I like it regardless of the designer or stuff like that really.” - Daniel, Graphic Designer

“I am concerned, I don’t like the fact that you can buy a garment and it has racial connotations behind it because it is something that he’s trying to state. By making his clothing and getting people to wear it then obviously he’s trying to spread a message without saying anything. He hasn’t opened his mouth verbally, but he is saying something.” - Venicia, London College of Fashion Student

“The way I see it, with a lot of these stylists, black people buy most of their clothes, you make most of your money off black people.” - Dee-Dee, London College of Fashion Student

This sentiment of the need to become more aware of where your money goes is shared by Simon Woolley from Operation Black Vote. He said that it is imperative that black youngsters take more of an interest in these kinds of issues, because the black community’s spending power amounts to £32 billion annually, a high level of influence if used properly.

He said, “With the amount of disposable money that our youngsters have, they need to be acutely aware of where their money goes and what that brand means.”

While a particular label may have no racist connotation in itself, if the designer behind it holds these views, then wearers of the clothes are in effect implicit carriers of his or her message.

So, will you be binning your Von Dutch?

Black Britain

It's not hard to believe. Many companies have engaged in some not so kosher activities in their rise to the top. Aetna (insurance) used to underwrite policies for slave owners and profited off this quite handsomely. I'm sure if you do your research into many top american companies you will find some iffy activity on their part.

yikes.
but i am not surprised either

I don't know if this has been mentioned before..

The British label Lonsdale is worn alot in nazi circles apparently because worn under a jacket all you can see is the middle letters : NSDA - the initials of Hitlers Nazi party (missing the P at the end though). The company behind Lonsdale isn't considered nazi-friendly tho.

Article in Telegraph

Originally posted by Hanne@Oct 5 2004, 03:08 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned before..

The British label Lonsdale is worn alot in nazi circles apparently because worn under a jacket all you can see is the middle letters : NSDA - the initials of Hitlers Nazi party (missing the P at the end though). The company behind Lonsdale isn't considered nazi-friendly tho.

Article in Telegraph
[snapback]385794[/snapback]​

this is what i fear more than if there's actually a connection. a lot of these brands that have like a peripheral connection to hate groups (i think of fred perry) sometimes are embraced by these hate groups as a ready means of identification...

the guy who the company was named after was a racist

Originally posted by mikeijames@Oct 5 2004, 09:02 AM
(i think of fred perry)
[snapback]386007[/snapback]​
What's the story behind this?

Originally posted by AlexN@Oct 5 2004, 10:51 PM
What's the story behind this?
[snapback]386979[/snapback]​

the wreath on fred perry shirts has been rumored to have a relationship with a prominent nazi symbol. while the relationship is peripheral, many white supremacist groups still buy up the stuff as a way to identify themselves to each other. it can be compared to skin head movements...

stuff like this always depresses me, it's disgusting :cry: :doh:
but the same thing goes for von dutch in general :sick:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->