Vuitton Sues Dooney

Discussion in 'Handbags' started by maarit, Jun 4, 2004.

1. maarit

maarit paint it black

By SUZANNE KAPNER

from nypost.com

2. leyla m.

leyla m. New Member

they must have read all the comments on our board and decided then to sue ;)

i would be interested to see how the lawsuit goes! :innocent:

im not sure what i would have done if i were the head of LV luggage :unsure:

thanks for posting maarit :flower:

3. nycgirl84

nycgirl84 New Member

They should sue D & B- they totally ripped off their idea!

4. banana

banana New Member

Well it depends on what they consider to be the unique factor of their design. Is it the fact that their logo is splashed all over thei bag or is it the rainbow of colours? Either way, I think they will have a hard time proving that they are the original creators of a unique design.

5. brian

brian New Member

I'd have to agree :shock:

6. MJCouture

MJCouture Active Member

wait, I forgot, refresh my memory. Did LV invent the use of initials? and wait when God created the universe they helped make the rainbow and the absence of color that is white, correct?

:rolleyes:

I don't like the db bags, but LV doesnt have any real right to sue them, other companies ARE aloud to be inspired by a trend, which is what multicolor bags have become, its in the same league as the Jelly Kelly in my opinion.

7. Toxxxic

Toxxxic New Member

The case would probably be dismissed so I won't get too work up or hyped up over it but I despise DB bags anyways. Ugh they're ssoo ugly and they're not creative or eye-popping yet my dad's girlfriend seems to has every one of their bag :sick:

8. maarit

maarit paint it black

You're welcome! ;)

9. Plumour

Plumour New Member

10. LadyIllusion

LadyIllusion New Member

A lawsuit is so ridiculous, i think they should be happy that people are inspired by their creativity. If the bag was copy of LV, with the logos etc i could understand, cuz when i look at a D&B bag, in my mind there is no similarity apart from the multi colours that is used. :blink:

11. wyatt.

wyatt. New Member

they should also sue xoxo liz c. uhh...and all the rest...

but this is a gooooodddd start.

bravo.

those companies should try and give it's clientel something that's innovative and good quality for the money not something that's trying to be something it's not.

12. wyatt.

wyatt. New Member

this is like saying copying the highest form of flattery.

it just irritates everyone is what it does.

13. TheSoCalledPrep

TheSoCalledPrep New Member

They had to start somewhere, I suppose.

14. tott

tott slightly dizzy

The fact is that the multi-colour logo design was original. It's not like every brand already was doing it before Vuitton did it.

It'll be interesting to see where this lawsuit ends up; thrown out of court or actually taken seriously...

15. Meg

Meg inspired contemplation

Isn't it a bit late for this lawsuit though? I mean the bags came out awhile ago. I'm just confused by the time factor :blink:

16. Purr

Purr New Member

actually, lv DID invent the use of logos :flower: they started with the damier, but people were copying so they moved onto initials.

hpowever, i agree with you... D&B aren't the only ones copying... don't XOXo and Guess have "multicolore" bags as well?

17. Choisir

Choisir New Member

I guess the difference that LV is trying to make is that dooney is also a high end brand. Not as exclusive as LV but much more than guess or xoxo so its the same target market. Women who perhaps could afford an LV multicolore but were unable to find one might settle with a Db.

That's probably why they're not persuing the counterfeiters as heavily. There's very little overlap between the markets of people who buy fakes and who would buy real ones. because chances are if you can afford a real one you won't settle for a fake.

Even if they lose the lawsuit, it will probably scare any other high end dealers into trying the same thing.

18. MJCouture

MJCouture Active Member

actually, lv DID invent the use of logos :flower: they started with the damier, but people were copying so they moved onto initials.

hpowever, i agree with you... D&B aren't the only ones copying... don't XOXo and Guess have "multicolore" bags as well? [/b][/quote]
    I know that is what they always say, but I find it hard to believe that NO ONE monogramed their luggage before Mr. Vuitton came around. If that was the case, why not sue Gucci, Fendi, and any other high-end luxury company that also uses logos, as it is apparent that they "coppied" LV. Although I completely believe DB coppied LV, I don't see any damages that LV has suffered. If someone wants a Vuitton bag they arent going to settle for something that you can get in almost every mall in the country, so I doubt LV has lost very many sales to Dooney.. The people they should be going after more fiersly is the actual counterfit producers.

19. Plumour

Plumour New Member

it's about the multicolor logos...

20. Vuittonista

Vuittonista New Member

IN RESPONSE TO PURR LV DID NOT START THE USE OF LOGO, GOYARD DID IN 1892. LV DIDN'T START THEIR LOGO UNTIL 1896. SO IF ANYBODY SHOULD BE SUING ANYBODY OVER LOGOS THAT ARE COMPLETLY DIFFERENT IT SHOULD BE GOYARD SUING VUITTON.fURTHERMORE, I WOULD LIKE TO ADD THAT TRUE LV CLIENTS GO TO LV FOR HIGH QUALITY LUXURY GOODS AND ALTHOUGH D&B PRODUCTS ARE NOT BAD THEY MOST CERTAINLY DONT FIT IN THE SAME CATEGORY AS LV PRODUCTS. IF PEOPLE WANT THE LV MULTICOLR BAG THEY GET THE LV MULTICOLOR BAG NOT A FAKE CANAL STREET RIP OFF OR A SIMILAR BAG. I MEAN I PERSONALLY WOULDNT BE COUGHT DEAD WEARING A FAKE I WOULD RATHER NOT OWN A HANDBAG THEN TO HAVE TO HIDE MY POOR QUALITY FAKE AROUND B/C LETS FACE IT THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A GOOD FAKE, US EXPERTS KNOW WHATS REAL AND WHATS FAKE. D&B DID MAKE A BAG THAT HAS ITS LOGO IN MULI COLORS BUT I WOULD NEVER IN A BILLION YEARS "THINK OH WOW I WOULD PERFER TO GET THE D&B MULIT COLORED LOGO BAG OVER THE LV MULTI COLORED LOGO BAG", LET ALONE CONFUSE THE TWO BAGS, AND TRUE LV DEVOTEES WOULDNT EITHER, SO MY OPINION IS THAT LV DIDNT LOSS ANY PROFITS. ALSO I MUST ADD THAT LV MULTICOLORED BAGS HAD A WAITING LIST SO LONG THAT THE LV STORE SALES PEOPLE WOULD TELL PEOPLE THAT BEING ON THE WAITING LIST DIDNT RESERVE YOU A BAG SO PUTTING YOUR NAME ON THE WAITING LIST WAS ALMOST POINTLESS, THEREFORE LV WAS EXTREMELY BACK ORDERED IN THESE LV MULTI BAGS SO HOW IS THAT LOSING ANY PROFIT?