W August 2016 : Eva Green by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by honeycombchild, Jun 27, 2016.

1. honeycombchild

honeycombchild Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Edward Enninful Instagram

#1 honeycombchild, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited by moderator : Jun 27, 2016
  2. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

Unexpected, and fresh cover choice, but they could have done so much MORE with her! This looks like an Allure cover under the new EIC, uninpsiring & insipid!

3. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Well-Known Member

I agree. Great decision to put her on the cover, but they chose such a simple image, they couldn't have done something to make it a bit more lively? Also I can't help but think Jessica Jones while looking at it, maybe is the styling was a bit more exciting.... maybe a necklace, earrings, something.

4. Ed..

Ed.. cape cod kwassa kwassa!

Eva! :wub: I was initially surprised she's on the cover since Penny Dreadful ended last week; didn't know she'll be in Tim Burton's soon. Can't wait to see more!

5. Nymphaea

Nymphaea Well-Known Member

The cover is nice but rather nondescript. It's lovely to see Eva, she has to have more covers.

6. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Quite surprised the outcome is so tame, especially considering it's Mert & Marcus behind the lens and Eva Green, who I would assume would be up for pretty much any direction a magazine threw at her! Nonetheless, I don't exactly hate the outcome. Thanks for the thread, honeycombchild.

7. Avogadro

Avogadro Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

W Magazine.com

8. justaguy

justaguy Well-Known Member

So excited seeing Eva on the cover!! Great cover and some really beautiful shots in her edit.

9. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

The shot they chose for the cover is really more suited to Allure, why not got with the last one? You cannot go wrong with a smouldering femme fatale Eva, so at least the feature is ok.
    If only they'd sort out the art direction. Will it change month after month now?

10. Wolkfolk

Wolkfolk When in doubt, wear red.

[​IMG]
    Tkyle.tumblr.com

I literally screamed when I saw her name. She's so gorgeous, so freaking talented and yet so underrated. I'd put her on every cover if I could. Unfortunately what they did with her is rather underwhelming. Hate that grey background, especially for an August cover. But the outdoor shots are stunning which there were more.

11. KissMiss

KissMiss Well-Known Member

I adore this woman... the photos are nice but the potential was even greater... her beauty is so captivating and unique and so is her acting...

12. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

I’ve given up on just how directionless this rag is— but now even the selects for the feature edit is directionless, and so schizo: consumer beauty shot for one, more themed, high fashion for another, and another that’s more jewelry shot… Tonchi is like a hamster running around cluelessly in a maze when it comes to his leadership.

So much could have been done— and done beautifully with Eva. And the only consistent thing they’ve managed to do is make her look harsh in every shots. Even Zack Snyder shot her more beautifully...

13. madzedre

madzedre Member

They could have done better with her

14. MON

MON Well-Known Member

What a stunning woman!

The cover is weak imo. Even an allure cover is so much better than this. The last photo should have been the cover. Powerful, striking, and absolutely gorgeous. And yes, there should have been more of the outdoor shots. The one behind the wooden wall and the black dress is stunning.

And that font, T Style Magazine much?

15. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

This schizophrenia (lol) of W is endemic in this industry, it stems from an obsessive need to court each and every demographic under the sun. Seems nobody's got the balls to say 'this is what I'm pushing, love it or hate it'. Every little feature must be an experiment. It reeks of cluelessness. I imagine this is your lot when you have Anna Wintour as your artistic director. Notice how we're struggling to tell the difference between an Allure, W or Glamour cover.

#15 Benn98, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited by moderator Brandi06dance: Jun 27, 2016
  16. matheus_s

matheus_s Well-Known Member

the cult of fashion? Really... I dont like the red as well

17. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

The likes of Glamour and Allure are basics and don’t really aim for loftier artistry in high fashion presentation, though.

W, under the confident direction of Patrick, had solidly established W as that rag which succeeded at bridging high fashion presentations for the masses, without faltering. To go from Patrick to Tonchi... although to be fair, Tonchi does strike gold from time to time (Far Far From Land remains swoonworthy). Just that they’re so inconsistent after all these years you’d think they’d get it together by now,. So it’s clearly a matter of not having enough good ideas to fill in a monthly run. And that’s totally Tonchi and his meek direction’s fault. This kind of wishy-washy direction is like Forest Grump’s box of assorted chocolates.

Fabien’s the only one with the balls to stand for his confident vision time and time again… And to a lesser extend, Porter is another one in a sea of lessers.

(Tonchi better make an effort with his September star this time, or he needs to be branded as a hamster on his forehead…)

#17 Phuel, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited by moderator massina: Jun 27, 2016
  18. t-rex

t-rex everything sucks!

Cool choice, but I'm bored of Eva always in black eye makeup and red lips. Wish they did fresher makeup with her.

also, August? It's still June! Readers will probably receive this issue in mid-late July!

#18 t-rex, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited by moderator : Jun 27, 2016
  19. burbuja8910

burbuja8910 Well-Known Member

She looks amazing, glad than she's the cover girl & finally M&M made great job this time.

20. testinofan

testinofan ███████████████

the new style of Mert & Marcus is soo boring