W Magazine September 2004 : Julianne Moore by Michael Thompson

Discussion in 'Vintage Magazines' started by metal-on-metal, Aug 5, 2004.

1. metal-on-metal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

i like her and i like the idea...

i haven't seeen the issue yet...but i'm sure it's great...i've heard it's beautiful...

3. faust

faust New Member

I made a mistake of subscribing to W for a year (I figured we'd enjoy it). Worst $5 I ever spent. I want my money back.

4. Ärtan

Ärtan New Member

It looks nice, but I think she looks better as a redhead, not as a blonde. :flower:

5. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

I don't really see her as some kind of fashion icon or whatever, but I love most of her movies, she's a great actress.

6. Meg

Meg inspired contemplation

I think the cover and pictures are beautiful but it's such a typical W cover. Anybody remember the Kate Hudson cover? It's either this sort of cover or the sort of dark/moody cover. The only cover I thought was amazing was the Gemma one.

7. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

it's funny to me to see w magazine continually grab at these attention grabbing spreads while never managing to get any of the fashion meat that some other publications do (seemingly) effortlessly....it's like they are trying to trick us into buying the magazine and then (haha) there's no fashion inside just filler...

8. faust

faust New Member

:lol: exactly. you can also add vanity fair to that list.

9. softgrey

of all the commercial american publications...W is THE best...imo...with vogue very close...they are rather neck and neck...because i think W has better editorials and covers...but vogue has better articles...

i mean...do you prefer lucky or marie claire?...or nylon...YUCK!!!
    the american market is pretty slim pickin's...

10. faust

faust New Member

You think so? Wow, I dunno, I can never find anything in W. Their editorials are like 5 pages long, everything else is celebrity gossip. Are you sure you are not getting some kind of a special edition W :shock: :unsure:

11. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

you won't get me defending the american magazine market at all, but editorially, i think that w magazine rates one of the worst simply bc there's SO little there. the photographs are many times absolutely flawless, but there's so rarely actual fashion there. i mean i love scarlett johanasson (sp?) and i love alexandre herchovitch (sp?) so it takes quite a magazine to make that picture look repititve and boring (as it did in last month's issue).

i can't rave about us elle, vogue, or bazaar but i still find myself surprised every now and again by each of them...

12. softgrey

but the celeb profile is not a fashion spread...W usually has 3 fashion stories a month just like every other magazine...

13. sandra

sandra New Member

Love it. Can't wait to get it. They usually have the best Sept issue. How many pages is it? I've been a subscriber of W since I was a teenager (while putting myself through school working at Bergdorf's) and now I'm in my late 30's. It was the refernce magazine back then..not Vogue. I have seen it from a spreadsheet (like a Sunday times newspaper in color) to it's now magazine format. I've always preferred following society and fashion as opposed to hollywood celebrity fashion, so W has been it for me.

I like it because it's more industry like it's sister pub WWD, not so commercial. I got tuned off to Vogue back in the 80"s because for 6 months straight you would have Brook Shields on the cover. :rolleyes: Those of you old enough will remember. I now put Vogue in the class of "Lucky" & "Instyle" magazine :lol: It's sooooooo commercial and anyone over 18 should not be reading it :P

True their editorial is fluff half the time but when they do it right, D A M N! the issues are keepers. I love the photography, but hate their increased use of celebs
    (Yawn). They are not a reference for me at this point.

14. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

gr8 cover as expected. She does great cvrs

15. softgrey

she who?...the stylist?...because the actress doesn't do it...she's on it...
    the photographer and stylist and hr and mk up..."do"...the work...

all julianne moore is doing is standing there...LOL...

16. Meg

Meg inspired contemplation

I love Nylon. Personally I think Nylon's articles are the best. Vogue's....don't even get me started. Not only are they overly and unwarrantedly pretentious they are obnoxious and poorly written on top of it all.

17. softgrey

maybe it's an age thing...i think nylon is for retards...

18. faust

faust New Member

Don't forget all the graphic designers who aribrushe these photos to death :lol:

19. softgrey

:lol: ...good point...how could i forget them?!?>... :woot: :wink:

20. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

Hmmm, I don't love Julianne, but that first picture from the ed looks promising. I agree with softgrey, W has had some of the best editorials that I can think of. Two months ago there was a great one with Kate moss, during the s/s season Craig McDean shot a beautiful one........
    It seems that they allow a bit more creativity in the editorial dept. then other mags do.....as far as the articles go, well, they have great editorials.