W September 2010 Issue Documentary

W has recently caught my attention with the wonderful editorials and such, I really loved the August edition. I think this will be intriguing to watch, there can't be any comparisons to The September Issue really because they are two different publications with two different processes. If anything, I think this will be more interesting. American Vogue has the hype and esteemed reputation, W is still working to get that

I'm interested as how the documentary is presented. An online film festival is cool, especially when containing other fashion films. I will be looking forweard to tuning in. ^_^

When I heard about this I had mixed feelings. For one, I love fashion , so to hear that there's a fashion documentary queuing up, I was kind of ecstatic. I love in glimpse into the industry I want to work into just so I can sort of gain experience by watching you know??

But in addition to that I was angered over the fact that it's going to be The September Issue. Vogue already did that. That probably wasn't the angering factor it's probably just fuel to the fire since I was already upset that Stefano Tonchi would be redoing the magazine. I loved the fashion obsessed publication and that's why I have a subscription to it. I don't want an oversized InStyle and that's why I have never spent any money to pursue an issue of InStyle.

what on earth makes you think Tonchi will turn W into "an oversized InStyle" ? I don't think he work at T or elsewhere sets a precedent for that.

and there's two reasons to do the doc on the Sept. issue: it's a fashion magazine's most important one of the year & it's the premier of the W redesign under Tonchi.

COMING ATTRACTIONS: When word got out last summer that W magazine had invited a film crew into its offices, the fashion commentariat took to wondering if Stefano Tonchi and company had their own “The September Issue” in store. The answer is: Not quite. The end product of the shoot, a short dubbed “The Remaking of W,” will make its proper debut tonight, but an early viewing made clear that any such comparison would be a stretch. The film clocks in at only about 10 minutes and is more of a promotion for Tonchi’s new-look W than a feature-length documentary. The result makes sense, given the short is the brainchild of publisher Nina Lawrence, who told WWD the film is intended as a star turn for both the new W brand and its editorial architect. “It became obvious very quickly that Stefano was very camera-ready,” Lawrence said of the title’s editor. Over the movie’s brief run time, Tonchi proves equally adept at schmoozing with Amtrak conductors and Sofia Coppola alike, while also explaining his revamp of the book in one-on-ones with the camera. (W commissioned the film from Legs, the production company behind contributor Lynn Hirschberg’s “Screen Test” Web series.)

“The Remaking of W” will appear online Wednesday as the centerpiece of “Fashion on Film,” a virtual film festival set to run on the magazine’s Web site through Jan. 15. The portal aims to be something of a fashion YouTube. In addition to the in-house effort, “Fashion on Film” will house various short-form films from fashion brands, a spot for user-generated content and a channel curated by art consultant Hervé Mikaeloff. Lawrence said the festival is a “precursor to the look and feel” of a wider relaunch of the site tied to New York Fashion Week in February. “Our digital expression will be images and motion,” Lawrence said of how the new site will distinguish itself from the pack.

wwd.com

In this flim I just wanna see Alex White. That's all.

So short! I think they should have made it around half an hour. This one barely showed us anything.

Stefano's vision sounds promising when he articulates it, but it doesn't make me like the actual magazine (in particular the covers) they delivered.

BTW, does anyone know who this redhead is, featured near the start when they're at NYFW?

w1.jpg w2.jpg

my caps

Interesting, and a bit depressing to see so many people working so hard on the magazine, and yet it truly does not show in the end product, because it has not been good at all for me!

Watching it, I also felt that the energy seen in that footage hasn't been translating into the final product, and it's sad. Although I do always love the sight of printing presses in action.

I've watched it today but still it doesn't make me want to buy a single issue; I only like certain editorials but the covers and the whole magazine isn't exciting to me

Where is this documentary?

nevermind, I found it. The documentary was amazing, but it is true, the final product doesn't really benefit from the accolades of the documentary. I think that if he wants to revamp the magazine, why not either have only models on the covers, or have models with actors on the cover. That would be a bold move an American magazine really haven't done since the 90's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stefano's vision sounds promising when he articulates it, but it doesn't make me like the actual magazine (in particular the covers) they delivered.

BTW, does anyone know who this redhead is, featured near the start when they're at NYFW?

my caps

I think that's Chantal Stafford-Abbott.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->