W September 2010 : Hollywood's New It Girls by Inez & Vinoodh

Discussion in 'Vintage Magazines' started by Flashbang, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Flashbang

Flashbang Mr. Magic

A triple gatefold cover shot by Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin, which features eight up-and-coming actresses — Kat Dennings, Jessica Chastain, Yaya DaCosta, Greta Gerwig, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Roberts and Zoë Kravitz.

[​IMG]
    source | wmagazine

[​IMG]

wwd.com

[​IMG]
    source | nytimes.com

#1 Flashbang, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited by moderator Sarahh: Aug 9, 2010
  2. Mchunu

Mchunu New Member

A very new W. Anxious to see what's inside. As far as the cover goes, the changes in type faces and the masthead and all, i feel as though it actually feels a lot more generic. And I do not like the space cadet shot itself.

However, I'm not completely lost of hope..hearing that they've welcomed Tim Walker aboard as a photographer makes me interested to see what's ahead.

Thanks, Flashbang.

#2 Mchunu, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited by moderator : Aug 9, 2010
  3. CrisGalaxy

CrisGalaxy Active Member

he actually dared to change the W logo and put a damn tag line?!? I will send a very mean letter to W companing about the logo! I was not expecting this! :(
    This is not even fair, I had just subscribed to W in October of last year and they had to hire a new editor?! This isnt the magazine I subscribed to! I swear the inside better be good.

I'm just glad I got the last copy of the last W magazine with that wonderful logo...

4. Rigida

Rigida Well-Known Member

I don't really like Kat Dennings position on the cover, it's kinda weird, but Jessica Chastain looks so cool. Can't wait to see the content!

5. ash92

ash92 Member

I was expecting a lot, but judging from the preview, it's quite disappointing.

I actually prefer the old masthead, and don't like the new accompanying headline running across the top-page. And it all feels very dated, strangely it's not looking to the future, but more of going back into the past.

And it looks more like the insert of a newspaper than a standalone magazine.

Still excited about the content though, although W's content have never really excited me.

6. justaguy

justaguy Moderator

Although I'm very much looking forward to this issue and I kinda like the cover, I'm not liking the new logo or the cheesy tag line!

Looks like it's turning into VF!

#6 justaguy, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited by moderator AalaA: Aug 9, 2010
  7. ad041715

ad041715 New Member

So far so good! :woot: I'm so excited at seeing the content. Seems like he's gonna do wonders for W.

8. Style Savvy

Style Savvy Well-Known Member

Loving the new logo and the format! I wish I knew who the two were, but the image is great! They look like models! Great job Stefano!

9. blueorchid

blueorchid you soft and only

:shock: Is this a joke?

:yuk::sick::ninja::huh:

10. Ives927

Ives927 Active Member

Very excited to see what's in this issue. Hope Stefano does not disappoint.

11. cesarcmma

cesarcmma New Member

I really don't know 4 of the girls that will be on the covers, Yaya was an ANTM contestant I think, and I don't really think the average buyer knows them either, I could be wrong, so this puts all the hopes for newstand sales in the impact and quality of the images and for that imo they would rather let models do their job in the covers.

but I'm excited to see the rest of them, and the contents, all the new additions.

12. cottonmouth13

cottonmouth13 Well-Known Member

OMFG. It's here. One of the most-awaited September issues everyone's been waiting for is here. First off, what's with the new logo??!!?? I JUST DON'T GET IT. I know that he's in full control of the magazine now and that he has the right to change whatever he wants to be changed but why the logo? It doesn't feel like W to me because of it. :( I'm gonna miss the old, classic logo and the font that W always use for the names of their cover stars. :(

On the other hand, glad that Mary Elizabeth Winstead is also a part of this issue and the cover. I like her as well as Emma Roberts.

Can't wait for the content though. Especially the editorials with two portfolios by Mert & Marcus. :wink: THIS BETTER BE GOOD. Don't disappoint us Stefano..

(I feel like I wanna cry because of the new logo..)

13. jeffandtheworld

jeffandtheworld Well-Known Member

What a change.. It looks like from Europian magazine thread. Doesnt look so American and W :(! I think the editorials are going to be GREAT!

#13 jeffandtheworld, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited by moderator : Aug 9, 2010
  14. teacakes

teacakes Active Member

I honestly don't know how to feel. The font change just kills me; it makes the magazine look like some trashy online publication. This was not the direction I expected it to go in.

15. TREVOFASHIONISTO

TREVOFASHIONISTO Well-Known Member

oooooh Im excited to see Zoe and Yaya

16. crosidan

crosidan Member

I'm liking the redesign so far. The angle of the "W" logo is interesting, if you look at it long enough it looks like a bridge and I sound like a stoner. I hope the tagline is relegated to somewhere other than the cover though because it looks so hokey there. I love the cover shot itself and the new typeface, altogether it's elegant looking but I feel there is some trace nostalgia from magazine design of the 80s and 90s.

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the redesign, if the editorials and scope of the articles have taken a new direction and the Riccardo Tisci and Louise Bourgeois pieces.

17. honeycombchild

honeycombchild Well-Known Member

That's a redesign and a half isn't it... it definitely, to me anyway, does take on more of a feel of something like the Style magazine, sort... newspaper style magazine looking? If that makes any sense to anyone else other than me!

I don't hate it by any means, but I do find the choice of cover shot slightly odd... be nice to see what the rest of it looks like when it folds out.

18. duynk88

duynk88 New Member

What's happen with the old W logo. I hate the new one!

19. xerq

xerq !

who the hell are these people:ermm:

20. VogueParisLover

VogueParisLover New Member