W Volume #6 2018 : Bradley Cooper by Inez & Vinoodh and Carey Mulligan by Alasdair McLellan

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by dodencebt, Oct 1, 2018.

1. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    wmagazine.com

2. GERGIN

GERGIN Well-Known Member

3. TZ001

TZ001 Well-Known Member

Carey Mulligan by Alasdair McLellan
    IMG_6244.JPG

4. Nomar

Nomar Well-Known Member

I don't know what's worse, the photos or that font.

Morgane07 and GivenchyAddict like this.
  5. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

I'm confused... Are they gonna release a new issue every month or is this supossed to be bimontly?

6. mistress_f

mistress_f Hell on Heels

keep it. Bradley is already overexposed to the max, and carey's cover is impossibly bad.

RedSmokeRise and HeatherAnne like this.
  7. caioherrero

caioherrero Active Member

I think they don’t have a plan. It’s 8 a year. 3 in the begging and 5 in the second half

8. HeatherAnne

HeatherAnne Well-Known Member

Bradley Cooper is the worst, I'd rather have seen Kristofferson on the cover.
    And who in the hell thought Mulligan's styling was clever? Cryin' out loud.

9. GivenchyAddict

GivenchyAddict Well-Known Member

I bet on Katie Grand :innocent:

10. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Aw, this suddenly feels like the old W Magazine which I used to be once interested in - with a cover shot by Inez & Vinoodh! You can always rely on them to deliver a terrific portrait.

YourMonster, ivano and mikel like this.
  11. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Well-Known Member

The portrait is nice, but something we've seen countless times from a featured male celebrity. But the real issue is, are those fonts a suicide note? They've been applying a series of hideous fonts for awhile now, it's as if Tonchi wants to send us a hidden message that he's tired of helming this magazine any longer.

Benn98 likes this.
  12. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Quite frankly the amount of posts in this thread should be an indication of how over people on here at least are with W magazine! The cover image is in the vein of Interview, only lazier, which I didn't think possible because I for once couldn't bear Interview's B&W covers.

And the second cover looks like a Love editorial outtake. Bet it was styled by Katie Grand. Equally uneventful, to be honest. Just end this magazine! Most working here already have side gigs lined up so it's not as if anyone will be on the dole, except Tonchi. Who quite frankly deserve it for running this magazine to the ground!

Ken Doll Jenner likes this.
  13. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

This issue comes in under a shocking total of 112 pages. I know I keep saying this, but why doesn't CN cut their losses and sell this magazine stat, or kill it?

Six pages of LV ads, some Saint Laurent, Celine, Gucci, and Prada later, and we get Tonchi's editor's letter. He speaks of the theme for this issue, which was apparently to let celebrities use fashion to tell their stories. The irony is that once you cut through his bs, what you get is a bunch of celebs styled by W's roster of editors.

There's a jewellery edit using cheap plastic tat such as foam glasses, fruit netting etc as props. It would look innovative in other magazines, but with W's financial situation it puts you in mind of a magazine operating on a shoestring. Add to that one full page ad pushing readers to follow @Wmag, and another plugging their W Stories book of editorials launched in 2014. There's no obscure literature or album reviews, no art exhibitions mentioned, nor theatre listings or what to do this autumn, in the front section of the magazine. These are the kind of pursuits which I imagine should interest the W reader. Basically the magazine doesn't even serve any form of purpose to it's readers!

Global Nigeria (8 pages)
    Photographer: Ruth Ossai
    Stylist: Jason Rider
    Hair: Neil Grupp
    Make up: Yui Ishibashi
    Cast: Actors, models, musicians and novelists, all from Nigerian descent. I've spotted the guy who used to be in Oz in there as well.

It's essentially a fashion edit, with some copy. But I'm over the visual style of the pictures though. It would appear there's only one way to photograph Nigerians in fashion, and that that is through the 'unfiltered' lens of Ruth Ossai. Styling is heavy on prints of different varieties. This edit seemed like the tame and safer take on the one in the current issue of Garage magazine.

Bradley (6 pages, but only 2 shots - the rest being snaps from the movie)
    Photographer: Inez & Vinoodh
    Stylist: Sara Moonves
    Cast: Bradey Cooper

Copy by Hirschberg. Tonchi mentioned in his letter that Bradley chose to be styled only in the shirt which he wore in the movie. There's also no hair & makeup credits. Text is a bit long-winded. There's been some unsubstantiated chatter about Bradley and Germanotta being more than just castmates for this film. I side-eyed the body language at the premiere, yet didn't think much of it. But based on this interview, I'd say Irina needs to start envisioning life as a single mum. There's definitely something there. And not in a svengali/muse way. It sort of makes sense when you think about it, and I think Hirschberg touches on that as well. This is a first for both of them. Her first feature film, his first directorial effort. They both had much to prove, and both understood what it meant for either of them. Add to that the creative and physical proximity. I mean, he even went as far to enlist I&V to shoot them, who as we know comes heavily Gaga-approved. Stands to reason, I suppose.
    The pics are nothing special though.

Carey (14 pages)
    Photographer: Alasdair McLellan
    Stylist: Katie Grand
    Hair: Anthony Turner
    Make up: Ciara O'Shea
    Cast: Carey Mulligan with circus performers Aima Indigo, Luke Trentham Shaw, Naomi Wood, Roo Jenkyn-Jones, and Sophie Forster. Models include Lorna Foran, Elfie Reigate, Lenmon Gallagher, Noah Landes, Mary Charteris, De Reece Grant, Thomas Collins, Malik Al Jerrari, and Sid Ellisdon.

It's another of Katie and Alasdair's aristo hippie ventures, where the focus was supposed to be on Carey but she literally got upstaged in all her group shots. Carey's got zero charisma in this shoot. Plus we've seen this concept in Love before, with better styling.

Giorgio (6 pages)
    Photographer: Ethan James Green
    Stylist: Sara Moonves, Carlos Nazario, and Max Clark
    Hair: Cyndia Harvey
    Make up: Dick Page
    Models: Karen Elson, Alek Wek, Oluchi Onweagba, Christina Kruse, Elise Crombez, Anok Yai, Amanda Murphy, Lakshmi Menon, Zheng, Debra Shaw, Shanelle Nyasise, Eniola Abioro, Mark Vanderloo, Youssouf Bamba and Andres Velencoso

The idea is three different styling takes on Giorgio Armani's new capsule collection. With names like that, the cast certainly delivered! The classic 90s styling goes well with the 90s icons. And Green certainly stepped up his game with the execution. It's just way too short. Should've trimmed Alasdair's edit to see more of these models instead.

Dakota (10 pages)
    Photographer: Luca Guadagnino
    Stylist: Sara Moonves
    Hair: Cyndia Harvey
    Make up: Diane Kendal
    Cast: Dakota Johnson

Basically W's couture edit for autumn, shot by Suprira's film director. The PR behind this movie seems to be working overtime to plug it in fashion magazines. The images are ok, nothing remarkably special. In fact it reminds me of Dakota's first Elle cover shoot, but with edgier eye makeup courtesy Marc Jacobs. It is however interesting to see how Dakota's been evolving through her many covers and shoots. She's actually getting better and captivating each time I see her. Each and every one looks different. Luca should stick to his day job.

Joe (8 pages)
    Photographer: Paul Wetherell
    Stylist: Tom Guinness
    'Grooming': Matt Mulhal
    Cast: Joe Alwyn

Bruce Weber-lite kind of edit. 'Hottest actor right now' in a series of 40s gentlemanly doube breasted suits with wide-legged trousers. Doesn't fit him at all, in some cases it looks oversized in a bad way. Despite Alwyn being easy on the eye, I think had the styling been stronger and more flattering, the entire edit would have turned out better. The problem is that the shots look too 'styled.' There's maybe one effortless shot of him leaning against the wall, but that's it. At Wetherell is not in a,studio, so that's a plus, I suppose.

Closing edit: Teller shot by Teller styled by Tell in a pair of ugly dad sneakers by Balenciaga and his trademark micro running shorts. All I have to say about this is 'nice calves.'

#13 Benn98, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    simon, mikel, MagFan and 1 other person like this.
  14. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

W Magazine Digital Edition

vogue28 likes this.
  15. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]