Wales Bonner S/S 2021 London

RedSmokeRise

Reaction score
With Addidas collab this season it seems. Another coed presentation.

voguerunway

I thought it was very good, the styling and photography almost convinced me that I would look chic in a colorful Adidas tracksuit. The womenswear is very serene and elegant.

The fact that she even showed is already commendable.

I know its Wales Bonner but I always see "whale boner".
Oh, really mature, Avonlea002.

Anyways, I don’t see what’s so Whale Boner-ish :smile:lol:smile: about the Adidas pieces. She could’ve easily found those in a thrift-store and slapped ‘em on the model, and we wouldn’t know the difference.

^^^ It’a a collab, you genius.

The mood is always coolly-high Crooklyn circa 1975. And as always, it’s so sparse and always looks incomplete. I wished she did put in the effort— or push/challenge herself to include more coats/jackets/suiting rather the the usual vests and shirts— and now Adidas tracksuits.

^^A collaboration? Well, golly-geez, you don’t say!

I agree that her collection(s) never really quite look “full”, but I wonder how much of that is due to a lack of funds, and a stronger team. I think a serious cash-advance would certainly help her out along the way.

^^^ Frankly, the Adidas tracksuits are the best and freshest pieces here with their slightly tailored silhouette. She’s starting to feel so repetitive for me: the vest and shirt, the leisure suiting, the 70s Fat Albert vibe... Rinse and repeat. Season after season. And it’s even more damning that even with both men and women’s shown together, it all still feels and looks so incomplete. I doubt a generous investor would suddenly have her presenting this bountiful collection of rich layers and a varied offering. This feels like the extend of her talent.

High waisted everything seems like new black last few seasons.I am 70s baby and tbh I hate 70s fashion.Some ppl can pull that look but colors are toooooo depressive for my taste.Seems like 70s are neverending story for some designers.Btw those tracksuits are so Madge around 2005

Madge.jpg

That pic of Madonna reminds me...

@Phuel , you might remember this.

In the 90s, we saw ladies wearing floor-length dresses w/ the Adidas stripes. I think it might have been featured in her “Rain” video, or her promo material released around then. I remember some black musicians wearing it, too. On IG, one of the “nostalgia” pages mentioned it, and said those were done in collaboration with a British designer. Does any of that ring a bell?

I think she is talented but her clothes don’t stand out for me. I think she is very confident in terms of visual or in the way she wants her fashion to be presented and the whole story telling but the clothes aren’t strong on their own.

If you remove the filter, put those clothes on à Asian girl or boy, you wouldn’t say who is the designer.

^^^ In her defence, her brand of design and style is so low-key and so quiet that she’d likely prefer the design to never stand out. I like the mood/vibe and how laidback, how nostalgic, and how the dusty rich collegiate colors mix with a dash of brightness here and there, but never overwhelm— I just never could stand colorblocking.... I mix 60s/70s vintage with designer and don’t wish to scream vintage/thriftstore nor designer, so I get her sensibility. But as a brand, it’s so important to raise the reality of how people dress everyday to a slightly hyperstylized presentation. When I was in high school, I’d wear a vintage Adidas tracksuit (likely form the 70s)— much like the one she has here, with Armani capped-toes and a big Armani shearling coat (and always with my Prada nylon backpack LOL). So I do get her sensibility. It’s just that her looks always give the impression of everyone having taken off their coats/jackets and left the best part of their outfit on the hanger. You can only root for someone for so long before you realize that they’re likely always going to do the same old same old.

That pic of Madonna reminds me...

@Phuel , you might remember this.

In the 90s, we saw ladies wearing floor-length dresses w/ the Adidas stripes. I think it might have been featured in her “Rain” video, or her promo material released around then. I remember some black musicians wearing it, too. On IG, one of the “nostalgia” pages mentioned it, and said those were done in collaboration with a British designer. Does any of that ring a bell?

LOL Yes she wore Gazelles with Yohji/Comme in that video. Neneh would wear high-top Superstars with her Gaultier bicycle shorts :swoon:

I'm not usually into her, but I always love her casting, and the vibe of this collection reminds me of things I was wearing as a kid growing up in New York, during the 80's.

On IG, one of the “nostalgia” pages mentioned it, and said those were done in collaboration with a British designer. Does any of that ring a bell?

Maybe it was Joe Casely-Hayford??? ...His designs were always prominently featured in the rags-- like i-D, Arena, The Face I would buy when I was in HS.

The picture of Madonna in the tracksuit here is the best look in this thread.

I'll echo others here that this feels incomplete, and on top of that, like zero brand evolution. And the photography is too earthy and "natural" and "honest." I like what the Madonna image has to offer...a good mix of casual street and a touch of glamour with the Hollywood curls and designer bag. I think Grace could do well to inject a little more glamour into her work and presentation and styling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->