Weight Training Myth ?

Golden_butterfly

The mod squad
Reaction score
Dear people!
There's one thing i've heard so much around me.And that is,if u do weight
training(in gym),u can get in good shape,but as soon as u stop u gain back all those pounds !
Now is this true?
Many people have given me the advice to stick to cardio and a bit of push ups and
crunches now and then.

I have noticed that some people actually gained back their weight very
quickly after they stopped going to the gym.But i don't mean that is the reason,
but jus wondering if any of this is true ? :innocent:

P.S I'm trying for a lean and slender look

it's not a myth that if you stop excercising, you'll gain the weight back, that's obvious. but as long as you do cardio, you don't have to lift weights. if you stop lifting, but still do cardio, all that happens is that your muscles become a little smaller and less defined - and even that is not entirely true, because the less body fat you have, the more defined your muscles are. are you male or female? it is more imperative for a male to lift, for females cardio is much more important, because females have higher percentage body fat by nature. if you find time, you should do both, of course - weight lifting does tone you a bit.

Muscle requires protein to be maintained so someone with more muscle becomes accustomed to eating more protein...it takes a while to revert back to eating less once the muscle is lost...

The obvious thought is, "so, don't stop going to the gym or working out." Even if you can't afford a gym membership, there are plenty of things you can do to maintain your physical fitness. You can do most exercises at home, with inexpensive free-weights. Many universities will have public-access hours where local citizens can use the sports facilities, either for free or for a low fee. Many cities have Parks and Recreation community centers that either have workout equipment or sponsor community health classes like aerobics, yoga, and swimming. So long as you plan time for exercise into your day and find something you like doing, you should not have to worry about falling out of shape and gaining a lot of weight.

I'm going to go against the grain somewhat on this one. You are a girl I believe (sorry I don't want to make assumptions but I don't have time to read old posts at the moment) so weight training with very light weights could be benefitial for you if you want a 'sleek/slender' look.

Sorry to go geek on you......:

Cardio will help you loose weight- specifically fat and if you are a girl the kind which is found in the layer just under the skin (thus your muscles will show through and you will look more toned). You wont loose very much of the kind of fat that is stored deep in the body but unless you are a middle aged man you probably don't have layers and layers of fat under your stomach. So, yes, cardio is good somewhat for weight loss and looking more fit since your muscles will show through.

The reality of cardio is that it doesnt help people loose a very large amount of weight (if thats your goal) unless it is combined with good diet. It is, however, EXCELLENT at keeping weight off. So whoever said to stay active even if you can't afford a gym membership is right. (As you like it? i think) A long fast paced walk etc, can help keep off any weight you loose form doing cardio if you decide to stop going to the gym.

As for weights, if you manage to a few pounds of muscle (I promise you won't get big :shock: ) from lifting small weights just enough to tire out your muscles (and if you eat enough protein and get enough rest) your body becomes "smaller" and tighter even if you don't loose alot of weight on the scale. It is hard to keep up muscle unless you use it but as long as you dont become totally sedentary you should be able to keep it on from toning excercises, yoga, etc. Also, muscle burns calories all the time, even when you are sleeping etc., so you can eat more without gaining weight :blush:

There are all these silly myths like "your muscles will turn to fat!" if you stop working out. There is no way for this to happen because the body simply doesn't work that way.

The people in whom you noticed this were probably doing TONS of cardio before and dieting as well and probably just fell off the wagon entirelly. Or they did TOO much cardio, destoryed muscle mass, and thus their metabolism slowed down...

Ok I'll stop rambling now.

Hey...thanks u guys :flower:
oh by the way abt the gender confusion...i am a 20 yrs old gal B)

I'll tell you this from my own experience:

Weights will lean you out amazingly - she irritates me but just look at J.S in the new Dukes of Hazzard film - she did serious weight training for that and it shows.

But...there is a catch.

If you have body fat to lose then you must also diet as well. Otherwise you will just build muscle under the fat and you could look bigger.

This is the sort of diet you want to follow to compliment your weight training:

Breakfast: Carbs: Porridge or Fruit or 2 slices of toast with peanut butter/
Snack: 5 almonds
Lunch: Chicken and Salad
Snack: a piece of fruit
Dinner: Fish and Vegetables (no potatoes).

Sounds so boring but you can have a cheat meal once a week and get away with it.

What I did when I was 17 was I did loads of weights whilst not having a clean diet. It was healthier than most but it was not a diet designed for leaning out. Hope that helps you.

it is true that if u eat and do weights it makes u look bulky .. bleah

and if u eat less/healthy then it makes u look so very lean and :smile:
but going to the gym doesnt mean u can eat normal .. coz u definitely dont want to become bulky, YUCK

foxinthesnow said:
As for weights, if you manage to a few pounds of muscle (I promise you won't get big :shock: ) from lifting small weights just enough to tire out your muscles (and if you eat enough protein and get enough rest) your body becomes "smaller" and tighter even if you don't loose alot of weight on the scale. It is hard to keep up muscle unless you use it but as long as you dont become totally sedentary you should be able to keep it on from toning excercises, yoga, etc. Also, muscle burns calories all the time, even when you are sleeping etc., so you can eat more without gaining weight :blush:

i agree on this .. if youre lifting weights that are like 2kg to 2.5kg thats fine.
And cardio does make u lose weight combined with a diet ofcourse.
DIET DIET DIET with gym .. only way to lose weight.

Also keep in mind that muscle burns more calories - most added muscle mass is accumulated through weight training, where as not during cardio... more muscle means more calories burnt. For long term weight loss, weight training is the solution.

I'm pretty streaky with my weights, but the muscle doesn't go away - as long as it's maintained.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->