wgsn.com

Discussion in 'Trend Spotting' started by morganna, Aug 30, 2009.

1. morganna

morganna New Member

I have recently head about this site and I would like a review about it, if any one of you is using it's services.

2. Mathewthew

Mathewthew Member

IT's a trend analyse website with tons of resourceful information....
    They will preview the trend with a lots of research and information, like inspiration, details, silhouttes, colours, style etc.
    The will update latest news in the fashion industry daily, snapshot form shops or street. And report and photos of the lastest fashion show, or students work which show the new talents....besides fashion, the have accessoires or graphics.......etc, It's a amazing website, but extremely espensive, I use to work in acompany which have wgsn, they told me it cost 10000 euros per year for an account

3. morganna

morganna New Member

Is it as good or someone should prefer a other one like trendstop.com? Because form what I have seen so far the second one is much cheaper!

#3 morganna, Aug 30, 2009
    Last edited by moderator Elisa: Aug 30, 2009
  4. Crimson C.C

Crimson C.C New Member

Its fantastic for students. You can get in for free on the wgsn.edu but i think they might be shutting it off???

5. platinumpink

platinumpink New Member

:eek:say it ain't so.

6. La bordélique

La bordélique earthbound

I mostly visit wgsn-edu.com for their trend analyses. Other than what Mathewthew has already mentioned, they also showcase trends not only on designer collections but also in magazines, ie: Kate Moss appearing in 10 different covers in the same month (this is invented), the Twilight series influence on fashion, etc.

They also have a vast repertoire of designers collections (ready-to-wear and couture) dating back from the late eighties.

7. morganna

morganna New Member

I visit wgsn-edu.As it says on the site here are 6 hours and 17 minutes left before closing.

Is it available just for a small period of time every time, or they closing for good?

If you are using it for a while please comfit!

:cry:

8. Signature9

Signature9 New Member

PSFK has an interesting post on this a while ago. They're a competitor - so probably not completely unbiased, but the comments are interesting. Most of the criticism seems to be on if the dominance of WGSN is bad for creativity, but there's some wondering if it's worth the price (about $20,000 per year for 5 desktop licenses)

http://www.psfk.com/2007/09/is-wgsn-destroying-creativity.html

9. morganna

morganna New Member

It is a really interesting article. Thanks for posting it!

But what about the competition, the other sites providing the same details?

10. platinumpink

platinumpink New Member

I've just checked it, and it says its closing. Oh well.

11. gius

gius chat~

yep closed now..

thank you for the article signature9 !
    i agree in a way
    i have been in some designer studios and they seem so pressed for time. one revealed to me so openly, they don't spend much time designing. probably zero. once one collection's finished producing you have your next one or you do them simultaneously. or you have other lines.

research ... for design or for market purposes, takes a lot of discipline
    i have met quite a few students in fashion design who aren't very keen on it even or not really developed enough to even know how, it's disturbing. there is so much copying and not enough independent thinking. i don't know why these people bother applying for a design course.

12. morganna

morganna New Member

Also we must consider that we are talking about business and money. An international brand has no room for experiments. They want a collection that will have a good sale out no matter what. So it is easier ti go with the flow.

13. gius

gius chat~

that's interesting ^ because in the Marc Jacobs documentary they had quite a lot of tests and experiments.. for materials/fabrics (of course they have their downs too, a few times exposed for plagiarism) or it's what i was led to believe. there were so many assistants working

14. venjeans

venjeans New Member

i read some article about wgsn.com and other trend analyzing website from magazine around March-April.
    i think conclusion was you don't need a trend analyzer to plan out your design for next season or so and i so agree. wgsn.com is for commercialized label just like morganna mensioned.

15. Mathewthew

Mathewthew Member

It's a wonderful website for research and looking for the information, sometimes they have some really interesting article. And the edu is a almost one to two seasons behind and limit access for some work. But still it's really resourceful website. Our teacher used to print out the lastest informtion for us, since they have the most update information form wgsn

16. thefunkykitten

thefunkykitten New Member

i've worked for a company that used wgsn, i used it everyday and it really is a fabulous source of information and inspiration. but the main advantage to using wgsn over another site, such as trendstop (which i've also used) is the knowledge that loads of big fashion players are also using it - and if you're a small retailer wanting to compete with the likes of river island, h&m, topshop - it's comforting to know you're looking at the same colour predictions, material info etc. i'm not saying that the big retailers ONLY use wgsn - i'm sure they have loads of other sources - but i bet they access it regularly.

it's not difficult if you have a lot of time and dedication to predict your own trends, and do the research yourself - and chances are you'll get something similar to what wgsn is saying anyway - but that suits more close to season trends. wgsn will already be looking at AW10,SS11 at the moment, which can be advantageous.

it is damn expensive, but often worth paying the extra money if you want to be singing from the same hymn sheet as everyone else.

hope that helps some??

17. Crimson C.C

Crimson C.C New Member

You can do your own trend analysis from style.com looking at all the ranges but you dont get the streetwear analysis etc Time is money... as my patternmaking teacher tells me.