Small Details That Distinguish Luxury Fashion from High Street

I used to own so much Raf simons, and it was criminally badly made, especially when you compared it to his work at jil. I’ve had things falling apart, seams bursting (that weird 09 collection with all the neoprene broke down) and fabrics disintegrating. That’s why I always enjoyed Hedis work, i couldn’t destroy it.

If I look how fashion brands define quality these days, it’s with a certain stiffness. Everything feels very stiff and looks amazing on a hanger. These days I’m only looking at fabric and finishing, natural fibers, high end zippers and simple sturdy finishing. Nothing complicated, but a rarity these days.
Indeed!!! The zippers are criminal ven in 5K dresses and 3K bags 💀

I also hate stiff things… Dior has so many stiff items, with like a plastic finishing that feels super cheap.

I am obsessed with a good zipper. RiRi, Lampo, Raccagni, RY, and high-end YKK can typically be found on quality, well-made clothes. there's something so satisfying about a smooth zipping experience 😂
buttons too - real horn / MOP buttons feel so good in your hand as opposed to their plastic counterparts.

What’s tragically hilarious is that all the supposedly high-end/luxe/couturey traits identified as premium nowadays were— once upon a time back in the 90s/2000s/2010s, just typical standard components for a brand like Club Monaco LMFAO

What’s tragically hilarious is that all the supposedly high-end/luxe/couturey traits identified as premium nowadays were— once upon a time back in the 90s/2000s/2010s, just typical standard components for a brand like Club Monaco LMFAO
This is 100% true.

Abercrombie & Fitch in its heyday was superb quality. GAP, Banana Republic, J.Crew…all excellent quality not all that long ago. Leather jackets and pants from these brands back in the 90’s and 00’s are absolutely wonderful and could be passed off for $1000+ designer items now.

Everything now, from designer to mid-market, is like H&M quality. Shameful.

And the designers are just as much to blame as the manufacturers. They’re not interested in pushing or demanding more from their sample and production houses and they’re also not thoughtful enough to imbue their designs with good finishes…it’s just as much of a problem as factories losing know-how and cutting costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnyboy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->