What Designer Do You Admire?

wyatt.

Reaction score
what designer do you admire? not specifically on their clothing but also on how they became popular and made it.

i really admire zac posen. i think he's a bit over rated and his popularity has more than likely inflated his head tenfold, but when you think about how many collections he's showed and the status of the crowds they draw and the model he uses, i'm impressed.

he also went to an art high school which i think is really cool. so yeah.

i also admire tom ford because of his ability to go from architecture to fashion, even though they are both design oriented, they are really different and then turning gucci into the power house that it is.

i ask the same thing about super models but i will post that in supporting cast.

Ralph Lauren and Coco Chanel.

Ralph Lauren, because he always wanted to exude wealth, to play up English polo and snobbism. That is part of the image I go for with my style, and I love his vision and how hard he has worked.

Coco, because, she's Coco. Little Gabrielle didn't let the "aunts" or anyone else knock her down and she accomplished her dreams. Can we say "Women rule!"??

Rei Kawakubo becuas she is a fashion revolutionarie

Coco chanel ebcuas she created modern fashion for women

I'm going to say Paul Smith, pretty much b/c i've loved everything he's made.

He goes there, and it works.

Halston.

Worked hard, played hard. I suppose he had lots of qualities that aren't apple pie admirable but what the heck. A talent.

I'm going to say Galliano because he is so creative. I really admire Donatella. She, in my opinion, is the epitome of style and class mixed with sexiness :flower:

Don't you mean "Who designer do you admire?" :flower:

Coco Chanel, John Galliano for doing what they want/ed and not caring what other people think/thought. Cristobal Balenciaga, Yves Saint Laurent, Paco Rabane, Yohji Yamamoto and Rei Kawakubo for innovation. :heart:

Isn't "WHICH designer do you admire?"
And my pick's McQueen ... he started young at Savile Row .. he's been outspoken and a cutting/pattern genius ... he likes to collaborate and his pret-a-porter collections are so couture -most of the time-.
Oh! And he definitively knows how to put a show!

First and foremost, I adore Mlle Chanel for her spirit and determination, for the liberation she offered to women of her time.

I also admire E2 - ever since their Marriot Chatenet days- for their 'rebelion' towards 'normal ways of doing collections' their rework on vintage pieces is really creative and brings new ideas in fashion.
Sibylla is quite high in my list, one of the greatest designers of our time, in true Christobal Balenciaga spirit.
And of course Martin Margiela for pushing the frontiers of shape in a new direction, for constantly finding new ways in putting an outfit together (loved his circle knits) and his amazingly crazy shows :heart:

from old masters, i also admire Mme Gres, Mme Vionnet, Cristobal Balenciaga, Jacques Fath and Paul Poiret.

Halston too, for being one of the great masters of American modernity, much missed from today's fashion scene. There are more American designers of the 50's & 60s that i admire, Rudi is one of them, quite revolutionary for their time.

ps. it is WHICH designer... i think :P

HI ALL :flower:

I do regret the passing , or superceding , of Claude Montana and Yves Saint Laurent , but for today I would have to nominate Hedi Slimane and Naoki Tazikawa for Issey Miyake . Runners -up would include all the usual suspects , such as Yohji Yamamoto , Giorgio Armani ( and even Veronique Nichanian for Hermes , as a very ' conventional and dependable ' choice ) .

Regards KIT :rolleyes:

John Galliano - he looks like me...but larger and also he's never made anything I didn't like...

Tom Ford because he brought legitimate cool back into fashion. No one captured the cool of the nineties like Gucci. And he filled the void that Versace left. Although I would hesitate to call Tom flamboyant by any means, he exuded a particular type of confidence that very few contemporary designers (even of greater talent) have.

Historically: Rei Kawakubo,Vivienne Westwood,Yohji Yamamoto,Mlle Chanel,Claire McCardell(imo,she was an innovator of American fashion),Jean-Paul Gaultier and Madeline Vionette,Cristobal Balenciaga,Theirry Mugler.

To name a few,my personal influences and ones I admire most are:
Jurgi Persoons
Martin Margiela
Véronique Branquinho
Susan Cianciolo

And a nod to McQueen for his unabash exquisit tailoring with a side of drama.

Originally posted by Lena@Jan 11th, 2004 - 4:07 am
from old masters, i also admire Mme Gres, Mme Vionet, Christobal Balenciaga, Jacques Fath and Paul Poiret.

ps. it is WHICH designer... i think :P
Dahling, Lena!
#1 I love your picks!
#2 Tks for the backup (It's "Which...?") isn't it?
#3 If I'm correct, it's Cristobal Balenciaga (in spanish there's no "h") and Vionnet (I love how she designed directly on mannequins!)...

Tommy Hilfiger because he gets the American young look. Prolly from Allys help but hey! He's expanded into fragrance and handbags and shoes and mantained that level of.....street cred? lol needed a word

Originally posted by blumarine@Jan 12th, 2004 - 7:55 am

#3 If I'm correct, it's Cristobal Balenciaga (in spanish there's no "h") and Vionnet (I love how she designed directly on mannequins!)...
hehehe, thanks for the corrections blu :heart:

Coco Chanel
John Galliano
Yves Saint Laurent
Tom Ford

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->