What Designer Do You Admire?

1) Coco Chanel for doing what she wanted and not just being your typical woman
2) Yves Saint Laurent because I find the way he did stuff to be really inspiring
3) Tom Ford for making Gucci what it is today...his hard work is inspiring.
4) John Galliano for his creativity and ability to express whatever he wants no matter how crazy it may seem.

Tom Ford - he might not be as creative and original as some of his contemporaries, but his eye for what appeals to people is so keen and has an almost inexhaustible range of design vocabulary. I'm hard pressed to find anything within his portfolio of work that I don't like.

Ennio Capasa - sometimes his designs are prone to being a bit cheesy and tacky, but overall Costume National is the ultimate definition of hip, urban chic.

Helmut Lang - Understated, functional clothes that looks flattering on every body type. Best denim line on the market IMO.

Jil Sander - I don't think this needs any explanation at all. She's just that good.

Ann Demeulemeester - I think of her as the female equivalent of Ennio Capasa, but with a really cool Gothic / Rock'n Roll edge. I have yet to see a piece of her work that I wouldn't love to have in my closet.

Dirk Schonberger and Carol Christian Poell - two hugely talented designers that really should enjoy a lot more attention than what they're getting now. Poell in particular has a knack for making some of the best-cut men's trousers I've ever seen.

Originally posted by Orochian@Feb 4th, 2004 - 1:10 am
Tom Ford - he might not be as creative and original as some of his contemporaries, but his eye for what appeals to people is so keen and has an almost inexhaustible range of design vocabulary. I'm hard pressed to find anything within his portfolio of work that I don't like.

Ennio Capasa - sometimes his designs are prone to being a bit cheesy and tacky, but overall Costume National is the ultimate definition of hip, urban chic.

Helmut Lang - Understated, functional clothes that looks flattering on every body type. Best denim line on the market IMO.

Jil Sander - I don't think this needs any explanation at all. She's just that good.

Ann Demeulemeester - I think of her as the female equivalent of Ennio Capasa, but with a really cool Gothic / Rock'n Roll edge. I have yet to see a piece of her work that I wouldn't love to have in my closet.

Dirk Schonberger and Carol Christian Poell - two hugely talented designers that really should enjoy a lot more attention than what they're getting now. Poell in particular has a knack for making some of the best-cut men's trousers I've ever seen.
I totally agree about Ann, she is my favorite. I respect her for doing her own thing regardless of what the rest of the fashion is hopping along to next...

I used to be a fan of Costume too, but their quality IMO is not the best, especially the shoes...

Helmut Lang fits any body type? That's a first! I agree about the jeans line, the best out there!

Originally posted by faust@Feb 4th, 2004 - 9:07 am
I totally agree about Ann, she is my favorite. I respect her for doing her own thing regardless of what the rest of the fashion is hopping along to next...

I used to be a fan of Costume too, but their quality IMO is not the best, especially the shoes...

Helmut Lang fits any body type? That's a first! I agree about the jeans line, the best out there!
The funny thing about Ann D is that for me she had always been just one of those highly regarded designers out there, but I've never really taken a serious look at her clothes, probabaly because her menswear is so under-exposed (I mean, she sort of just throws it in her womenswear shows as a backdrop...) and hard to find (as far as I know, it's not carried by any store in Canada). But once I actually see her clothes in person, I'm hooked. It's really a shame that her line is so obscure to most people.

As for Helmut, I find that his clothes are very accomodating to different body types because almost anyone of any size would look good in one of his signature two-button suits. I'm skinny like a stick and my brother is a bit on the chubby side, yet we both look good in them. I DON'T like, however, that his clothes are always half a size bigger than what the tag indicates - I have a 30 inch waist, and more often than not his size 28 jeans fit me just fine.

Originally posted by pinkcouture@Jan 12th, 2004 - 2:47 pm
1) Coco Chanel for doing what she wanted and not just being your typical woman
2) Yves Saint Laurent because I find the way he did stuff to be really inspiring
3) Tom Ford for making Gucci what it is today...his hard work is inspiring.
4) John Galliano for his creativity and ability to express whatever he wants no matter how crazy it may seem.
Very good list with great reasons :flower:

Vivienne Westwood because her clothes were just always so elegant and inspiring.

atm, for me it's...
alexander mcqueen:does what he wants and does it well
john galliano:over the top, but the piece can always be brought down to a market level
marc jacobs:designing for three majors labels, he can design at any level and basically influence any season and introduce and trend.
tom ford:much the same because he designs for two major labels he can influence the season.

historically.
coco chanel: freed women and made clothes wearable
Elsa Schiaparelli:had a unique take on what fashion was going to be
christian dior: defined a definate women's shape through the hourglass figure
yves saint laurent: achieved the impossible. creating pants for women and introduced many new styles and trends which continually are shown on today's catwalks.

Tom Ford: Say what you want about him but he has made one of the most easily recognizable fashion houses in the world. He may not be the next Balenciaga or Dior, but he manages to make people want what he designs.

John Galliano: His ability to mix high fashion and fun is amazing. He has to be one of the most creative designers of today's fashion.

Gianni Versace: He put sex and rock &roll into fashion like nobody had before him.

Alexander McQueen: He's balsy and brilliant at what he does. Plus, he makes a fashion show entertaining to watch. (ex. S/S 2004)

tom ford... he single handedly revived a dead company.
and he is so damn sexy.

hi everyone im new and my name is Ashley.i think the designer i admire most is Roberto Cavalli because he is not afraid to be different with his patterns he takes is to another level,which i love.

I admire Valentino, simply because of the elegant dresses he designs. I always look at them and think 'when I'm famous, I must wear that on the red carpet.'

Tom Ford
Helmut Lang
Muicia Prada
Narcisso Rodriguez
Alexander McQueen

I admire Christian Lacroix. Not only his work for his own label and Pucci, his appearences in Absolutely Fabulous with Edina are fantastique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"