What Do You Consider As Petite?

sexydaydreamer said:
I'm SO not petite. In European sizes I'm a 31, which is humongo! And I'm 5'3, and over 110lbs! I'm what you would call...fat? I weigh 125.

Personally,I do not think that u are petite,i think u are average,and not fat,but maybe voluptuous.

31 size is an american size,which is 42 in europe.

I would not call 5'3 and 125 voluptuous. Anyone under 5'4 is considered petite. It has nothing to do with weight. It has to with height (ie trouser length) and how things fit in the shoulders and back and arm length. You can get size 14 petite clothing.

Katarina said:
Personally,I do not think that u are petite,i think u are average,and not fat,but maybe voluptuous.

Do you mean waist size? A 42 Europe is about size a US 12.

writergal28 said:
Do you mean waist size? A 42 Europe is about size a US 12.

Yes,I mean that,u know 28,30...are used in USA for jeanswear.

Meg said:
I would not call 5'3 and 125 voluptuous. Anyone under 5'4 is considered petite. It has nothing to do with weight. It has to with height (ie trouser length) and how things fit in the shoulders and back and arm length. You can get size 14 petite clothing.

"Petite" in french means shorty,and the statistics showed that the average size of the french women for example is 161cm 5'3,so that's why in most Europe,5'3 is not considered short or "petit" but average,less than that is considered short.

for men,the average size is 174cm.

Those average sizes were calculated basing on a sample of population.

Also the recent statistics in France showed that the average women size is 42 "12 US size".

I think petite is very small built women. People say '' you are petite '' although I'm 169 cm. They mean that I've a small,fragile body I think.

LeonieAlexandria said:
I think petite is very small built women. People say '' you are petite '' although I'm 169 cm. They mean that I've a small,fragile body I think.

Then they're horribly mistaken, at least from a North American/English speaking country POV. At your height, you're not going to be able to fit into petite sizes, which are made for women 5'4 (165 cm) or less. Petite clothes generally range from a US 0 or 2 to size 12 or 14. Some brands also make petite-plus.

It is possible for an average heighted woman to wear petites, but only if her torso is shorter than average (petite on top) or has shorter legs (petite on the bottom).

I think as far as clothing goes, you are petite if you are 5'4" and under, any size. But as far as people actually saying "you are so petite," it's generally if you're 5'3" and under and size 4 and under. People always call me petite cause i'm 5'0" and a size 2. But no one really calls my sister petite and she's 5'1" and a size 6.

^Good distinction. People throw about petite as a general description to teensy, skinny ppl but yes, the technical sizing term would be to mean anyone 5"4 and under, regardless of size.

^^^^
True, but what really annoys me is how some people call 5'7ers "petite" if they're a size 4 or less. Maybe in the world of modelling, but certainly not in regular, every day life.

As I said before "petite" in french means Short,and 5'7 is not short,people are guetting mistaken at least the Anglophones,because in France or Swiss nobody would call a 5'7 or even 5'6 a "petite" even if the female in person is very skinny.

For francophones,petite is petite which means short and not skinny or small frame or so,and short or petite is somebody "female" who is under 5'3.

Even though I am skinny and very small boned at 5 Foot 5 inches and 100 pounds I don't consider myself as a candidate for Petite clothing because of my height, my long arms and legs and my square boney shoulders which sometimes make my top half 1 or even 2 sizes bigger than my bottom half.

I consider petite sizing to be based on height - I'd say 5'3" and under and proportions i.e. length of leg, arm, shoulder, etc. rather than weight.

Katarina said:
As I said before "petite" in french means Short,and 5'7 is not short,people are guetting mistaken at least the Anglophones,because in France or Swiss nobody would call a 5'7 or even 5'6 a "petite" even if the female in person is very skinny.

For francophones,petite is petite which means short and not skinny or small frame or so,and short or petite is somebody "female" who is under 5'3.

This is supposed to be the case for Anglophones too, but too many think "petite" is small framed only, including those of average height. I don't think Anglophones will call a 5'9er who wears a size 2 "petite"

My definition of petite is all about height for me, anyone below 5"2 (5"3 is ok...:(innocent:

writergal28 said:
You are petite. Anyone woman under 5'4 is petite. There is such a thing as a plus-petite (though I really doubt you are. What is a European 31? I've never heard of this size. I thought European sizes went 34, 36, 38, etc? With 34 being the equivilent of a US 2?)

I was shopping at a store called Francessca and its clothes come from Europe. The only pair of pants that fit me just right were a size 31. I'm not sure about European sizes, seeing as how I come from America...

A European 31 is equivalent to a size 9 in America.

Katarina said:

I would like to think of myself as "voluptuous" but when I look at all the other girls in my class and compare myself to them, I'm one of the bigger girls.

31 isn't an American size (I don't think?) because I was shopping in a store with European clothes and when I saw that I fit into a size 31, I went ballistic. One of the workers told me that the clothes were shipped from some place in France or Italy, I can't remember the exactly...

sexydaydreamer said:
I would like to think of myself as "voluptuous" but when I look at all the other girls in my class and compare myself to them, I'm one of the bigger girls.

31 isn't an American size (I don't think?) because I was shopping in a store with European clothes and when I saw that I fit into a size 31, I went ballistic. One of the workers told me that the clothes were shipped from some place in France or Italy, I can't remember the exactly...

Aren't European sizes usually even-numbered? As in 34, 36, 38, etc? A 36 is about a US size 4 or 6.

I think when someone is 5'3" or under, small boned (not talking about fat I'm talking about wrists, shoulders, etc..).. I think someone can be slightly over weight and still be considered petite because when they put on regular clothes, they might be big enough around but they're too long or the shoulders don't fit, etc...

I think your bone structure also determines whether you are petite or not. The best example of petite would be Nicole Richie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NavidNoor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->