What is the Most Inspiring Book You Have Read?

tuesday's with morrie by mitch album - it just makes you want to be a better person

fashionlives said:
what is the most inspiring novel or self book you have read?

if i had to name just one, it would be "the waves" by virginia woolf.

Memoirs of Geisha, all of sudden you understand the art, the way of japanese talk & manner

I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith and Where Rainbows End by Celia Ahern are a couple but there are others and i havent read that many very deep books, as im only 15 up until i was 13 i mostly read teen stuff

The Picture of Dorian Gray-Oscar Wilde
I just loved how Oscar had the guts to blatantly question and argue all views of morality during the times he was living in.

Ariez said:
I just loved how Oscar had the guts to blatantly question and argue all views of morality during the times he was living in.

was it a true story?
can

Ariez said:

was it a true story?
can u give an example of a view he argued

b*tch: In praise of Difficult Women by Elizabeth Wurtzel.

This book made me a feminist. A feminist in a different way than those femists we usually hear about. This book is my "bible" and no book ever have been as inspiring to me as this one. Elizabeth Wurtzel became my hero after I read this book. I recommend it on the strongest.

ivypixie said:
b*tch: In praise of Difficult Women by Elizabeth Wurtzel.

This book made me a feminist. A feminist in a different way than those femists we usually hear about. This book is my "bible" and no book ever have been as inspiring to me as this one. Elizabeth Wurtzel became my hero after I read this book. I recommend it on the strongest.

Whats it about?

chanelnumber5 said:
Whats it about?

Well, Elizabeth Wurtzel is more known for her book Prozac Nation. In this book I speak about, she writes about feminism in another way than we are used to. It's too hard for me trying to explain such a book like this in english (not my main language), so I'll post this review from the publisher:

b*tch is a tract on the history of manipulative female behavior. By looking at women who derive their power from their sexuality, Wurtzel offers a trenchant cultural critique of contemporary gender relations. Beginning with Delilah, the first woman to supposedly bring a great man down (latter-day Delilahs include Yoko Ono, Pam Smart, Bess Myerson), Wurtzel finds many biblical counterparts to the men and women in today's headlines. In five extended essays, she links the lives of women as demanding and disparate as Amy Fisher, Hillary Clinton, Margaux Hemingway, and Nicole Brown Simpson. Wurtzel gives voice to those women whose lives have been misunderstood, who have been dismissed for their beauty, their madness, their youth. She finds in the story of Amy Fisher the tragic plight of all Lolitas, our thirst for their brief and intense flame. She connects Hemingway's tragic suicide to those of Sylvia Plath, Edie Sedgwick, and Marilyn Monroe, women whose beauty was an end, ultimately, in itself. Wurtzel, writing about the wife/mistress dichotomy, explains how some women are anointed as wife material, while others are relegated to the role of mistress. She takes to task the double standard imposed on women, the cultural insistence on goodness and society's complete obsession with badness: what's a girl to do? b*tch tells a tale both celebratory and cautionary as Wurtzel catalogs some of the most infamous women in history, defending their outsize desires, describing their exquisite loneliness, championing their take-no-prisoners approach to life and to love.

credit: femmusic.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple Abundance (Sarah ban Breathnach) is certainly on the list ... Pay It Forward was a good one ... The Four Agreements is good ... One Dharma really helped me out at one point ...

I'm sure some will think this is cheesy, but O Magazine recently put out a little booklet of Oprah's best "What I Know for Sure" essays, and I find it inspiring whenever I pick it up.

Oh, Expecting Adam by Martha Beck. Love that book ...

(more I can't think of ...)

dj-catalonia.jpg

They flew a black flag, George flew a red one.​

was it a true story?
can u give an example of a view he argued

One rather hopes not... It is a novel, Wilde's opinion on arguments is low: "To reveal art and conceal the artist is art's aim" and "There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all."

Henry Wotton (take away the lisp and it says 'Henry Rotten') is Art and Oscar Wilde himself.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->