What is the significance of wearing a pinkie ring?

Discussion in 'More Accessories' started by William_St_Girl, Jul 11, 2009.

1. William_St_Girl

William_St_Girl New Member

I have a friend who wears one and I was looking on her facebook recently and there is loads of her friends and family all wear one too... they are of reasonable stock from the South of England and the weddings all seemed quite posh... now of course we all like posh here... but at the same time... was just wandering if anyone knew if there was any significance to wearing a pinki ring and why so many people wear them... you dont see it much in Scotland!

WSG x

2. Crying Diamonds

Crying Diamonds Geometric Discharge

I used to wear one, but it had no significance for me.
    Though I have heard that it can be a gay symbol . . when the handkerchief code isn't understood . .

Here we are.
    According to wikipedia.org:
    Apart from that. I have no idea :)

3. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

I thought a ring on your little finger was often one that carried a family crest or emblem, merely decorative these days, but an echo of the time when you stamped wax seals on letters with an identifying mark. However, I have it in my head that it's usually men who wear this sort of ring.

4. chaneladdict

chaneladdict New Member

most of my rings are pinky rings, i like them there. Tiger I think you are right, that's one thing I always think of when I think of pinky rings.

5. Crying Diamonds

Crying Diamonds Geometric Discharge

You mean signet rings?

A modern one:

[​IMG]

signetsandcyphers.com

6. CandiDandiStylin

CandiDandiStylin New Member

i think if you like wearing it there wear it. these days all those connotations with jewellery like piercings and stuff don't matter anymore. people dont take much note of it anymore like they did years ago. for example which ear is pierced meaning if your gay or not.

7. Veronika C

Veronika C New Member

I have never heard of the gay thing. Ever. Pinky rings are used by upper classes (not exclusively) for signet rings, family crest or motto. Also women wore them a lot the US in the previous 2 centurys as initial rings. Rings with their full monogram or one letter, usually last name.