What is the style of this decade

saann

I don't know
Reaction score
I was sitting here thinking... Most fashion magazines I read have headlines like: "the sixties are back" or "the fifties are back" and most designers look to other decades for inspiration and I was thinking, will designer in 50 years from now look back to this decade for inspiration? and if yes, what will they find?

Am I the only one feeling that this decade doesn't have as strong themes going through the whole decade as the earliers do. the fact that a lot of the designers are looking to other decades makes me almost think that it won't. When I think about other decades I get an image in my head about what they used to wear. but nowadays trends are changing so fast, they're so different and not many are staying for a long while, that it makes me think, will this decade ever have a consistent trend through it all that will make it stand out like, per example, the eighties did?

Back to the real question, In 50 years when designers look to this decade for inspiration, what do you think they will find?

:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
Saan
I think it will depend on the direction of the teens as we always evaluate a decade's look by considering what preceded and what succeed it.

There was a lot more than just Dynasty (gaudy American soap opera) to 1980's fashion- there were some glimpses of quiet, distinguished good taste, and it did filter down to the mass market.

But, it is not as memorable as the beaded, embrodiered, draped, padded charmeuse stuff because that sticks out the best against what we wore in the '70's and then in the '90's.

Having said that, I think the only real consistent style to the 00's (what do you call this decade anyway?) is feminity. There is a huge variation between designers interpretation of feminity- but, in my opinion, we have not seen any "butch", masculine clothing for women since the 90s. There was sporty feminine, sexy feminine, romantic feminine and dramatic feminine, but it was all mostly distinctly women's clothing.

Even Jil Sander frilled it up (as much as frilling up is for her).

The only thing I can come up with is the concept of handmade....I mean real,pure handworking...not in the sense of HC but that home-spun cottage style. And kitsch and childishness has been rather prevalent thus far as well. Everything,generally,is getting back to an era where everything was simple and pure...and this decade,I feel,will be most affected by this movement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->