What Magazines Have You Bought/Received Recently?

Originally posted by Rosie@May 13th, 2004 - 3:43 am
also last week I bought the all 6 issues of ANOTHER MAGAZINE for £2 each, all in brand new condition from an amazing second hand book/magazine shop in Notting Hill. Its got a huge collection of art and fashion magazines going back decades.
Whoa Rosie!!!

How I'd envy you!!!

I'm trying to locate the Nicole Kidman issue and the current Kate Moss issue myself.

I'd also like to get Pop.

US Bazaar June 04:

Beyonce graces the cover in Roberto Cavalli. Finally, not some fail-proof column gowns! The subscriber's cover has a full-body shot of 3 Beyonce's, dancing.

The best thing about this issue is the fall preview, which highlights the best moment on the runway: cartoonish tee with blazer, colored belts, Narciso Rodriguez's jewelry, and brooch.

The models featured in the editorials (all only-girl:( Guinevere Van Seenus, Angela Lindvall, and Michelle Buswell. All clothes are in muted, earthy tones, and styled rather refreshingly. The garments that are in Guinevere's editorial have not been overexposed in other magazines, and I am glad they included Giles Deacon's work. IMO, he is the new NY designer to watch. Michelle B's editorial has clothes from the fall line already.

US W June 04:

Cover girl Gwyneth Paltrow only has another picture inside, photographed by Michael Thompson.

Kate Moss and Craig McDean collaborated on the predominantly black-and-white editorial, "Noir," that is Hitchcock chic at its best. A bit similar to Gisele and Mert & Marcus's "Tongue in Chic," but more seductive, mysterious, and with an element of suspense.

Fans of Hannalore (who will also be in Dolce & Gabbana's fall campaign) will enjoy her fresh & naughty look in the following editorial by photographer duo Inez & Vinoodh.

Today I got UK Vogue (with another gorgeous Elise Crombez editorial)

must get my hands on US Elle for the lovely Scarlett pics. :heart:

Thanks LibertyRose, you're doing a fantastic job. I love UK Vogue's June cover. Is Another Magazine's Kate Moss issue any good (apologies if someone's talked about it before, I must have missed it :oops: )

US ELLE June 04:

If you are a Scarlett Johansson fan, you must buy this. The pictures are gorgeous, and the styling is fresh. They didn't make her into some Chanel/Gucci-clad starlet and instead put her in Marni, Chloe, and cute florals.

Then there is Independence Day, dedicated to Tom Ford's final collection at Yves Saint Laurent and Gucci. The clothes are shockingly tacky.

Weekend Getaway is a denim editorial feat. a beautiful, ethnic-looking model.

Although not "strong" by any stretch, this is the first US Elle this year that is worth buying for non-subscribers.

US Elle also has a swimsuit editorial with Ana Beatriz Barros, who is made to look like Naomi Campbell. Gosh, this should've never been published.

UK Elle with Kylie on the cover = complete waste of paper.

V magazine:

The Gisele editorial "I'm Every Woman" intended to make her look like an average woman with meat on her bones by adding pads on her tummy and legs but, as interesting as the idea is, the result is nothing to write home about.

The Karolina Kurkova couture editorial with her riding a rollercoaster is another failed execution of innovative ideas.

The model group shoots with Isabeli, Erin, Diana Dondoe, Luca, Julia, etc is pretty pointless and looks very 80's, in a bad way. But Julia does look great--the best pic in the entire magazine.

I wouldn't recommend this magazine.

Paris Vogue with Natasha Poli on the cover:

The cover is dull as is Natasha P's editorial inside. I don't get her ascent.

Gemma Ward's couture editorial is by far the best work I have seen her done.

Karolina Kurkova's stratigically-covered nude shoot by Patrick Demarchelier (who also shoots this month's US Vogue cover with the lovely Kate Hudson) is bland.

I don't recommend this issue either.

Italian Flair: Skipped two issues already.

The best magazine in May: UK Vogue (Scarlett Johansson, Elise Crombez, Missy Rayder)

An early contender for Best Editorial in June would be Kate Moss and Craig McDean's "Noir" for W magazine.

June 04 US Allure

Skip this issue if you can. Allure has been sucking this year.

Kelly Ripa on the cover. Catherine Zeta-Jones in style watch. Frankie Rayder wins beauty editorial while Nadja Auermann is the model for the fashion editorial.

Kate Winlet for UK Esquire: Air-brushed beyond belief, but then the end result is satisfying.

Diane Kruger for UK Tater: why does this magazine still exist? UK's InStyle wannabe provides no visual appeal.

Mysteriously I found a copy of Time in my mailbox today (with my name and address!), but I don't subscribe to it... :ninja:

It had a huge headshot of Bush on the cover... and inside, nothing really fashion related except for two pages about American Idol :rolleyes:

5f_1.JPG

US Vogue June 2004 cover goes to Kate Hudson, photographed by former Bazaar resident photographer, Patrick Demarchelier. The editorial inside however is by Mario Testinol.

A vibrant, colorful cover. US Vogue does not typically embrace happiness, but this cover is great.

The vacation eds are however quite disappointing.

First, Steven Meisel shoots Missy Rayder (eh), Caroline Winberg (plain), Eugenia Volodina (good, mostly), Daria Werbowy (best she's looked since April), Liya Kebede (glowing, and made to look more 'ethnic' than usual), Julia Stegner (sweet) Karen Elson (tired), Heather Marks (welcome addition), Jessica Stam (still slouching!) and Karolin Kurkova (horsey overbite). The good thing is that the models don't look ridiculously tanned, and the selection of wardrobe is nice and reflective of the season. However, compared to last year (where they shot the models--Liya Kebede, Jacquetta Wheeler, etc.--on location) and the year before ("Supermodel's Summer" with Carmen Kass, Stella Tennant, Jacquetta Wheeler, Liya Kebede, etc), this is awfully lacking in substance (too short) and unexciting (too many models, and the truly great ones only have one or two pages).

The accessories editorial "Pool Sharks" feat. Michelle Buswell and looks very Allure/German Vogue.

Verdict: A great cover, but they got lazy with the editorials.

vn.jpg

July Vogue Nippon goes to Gisele Bundchen.

45_1.JPG

Lovely Gwyneth Paltrow & Jude Law on cover of US Marie Claire July. Despite the cheap styling both stars look radiant. Alessandra Ambrosio has an editorial, "Think Pink." This is her 3rd appearance in Marie Claire this year, so yaya for one of my favorites. :flower:

Now, my favorite magazine, UK Vogue this June has Gisele on the cover. Also:

New ads for Lancome's uber best-seller Juicy Tubes. Nice metallic pink.
Gap's best summer ad feat. Luca G, Michelle Alves, and Jessica Miller, all in a two-pager.
Sunglasses ads from Yves Saint Laurent, Jil Sander, Chanel, DKNY, which are NOT commonly seen in US publications.
Eugenia Volodina's YSL beauty ad!

Interesting article on four women who are closet obsessives.
Debate: bikini vs. one piece.
Jacquetta Wheeler showing up at parties in chic black dresses. Casual pics of models are consistently more interesting than pics of celebs.
Jean Paul Gaultier takes Hermes. More publicity for a hyped collection that is nothing to write home about.

Well, I admit, this issue isn't particularly strong until the editorials:

Her Name Was Lola: Elise Crombez photographed by Karen Collins in swimsuits. Cheeky and lovely. Aptly named.

Sunny Side Up: Frankie Rayder's location shoot with Arthur Elgort. Cowgirl chic. Just okay. Elgort's ed with Jacquetta Wheeler in April's UK Vogue was superior.

High Summer: Gisele Bundchen doing polished looks photographed by Carter Smith. Nice! Gisele dolled up as a rich/bored housewife is so ironic but the irony makes the look fascinating. She's done that with Mert & Marcus a couple times. First collaboration with C. Smith isn't shabby.

You Sexy Thing: Highlight on Chloe Sevingy by Glen Luchford. Signature Luchford lighting (hello Mario Sorrenti!).

Soft Focus: beauty ed with Tiiu photographed by Jesse Shadoan.

So, that's 2 lengthy fashion editorials (12+ pg) and one celeb editorial (10 pg), plus one beauty ed (4 pg). Very substantial.

8b_1.JPG

That's Saffron Burrows on June's Tatler. May's was Diane Kruger, I believe. The editor sure loves 'em Troy girls. April: Charlize Theron. May: Noami Watts.

Dolce & Gabbana's PR has been working overtime in the UK. Scarlett Johansson wore their silver dress on May's UK Vogue (the same one worn by Uma Thurman for March's InStyle); Gisele Bundchen wore the print dress on June's UK Vogue; Saffron Burrow's Dolce dress for Tatler is very similar to the one Scarlett wore.

13_1.JPG

Josie Maran on Arena after scoring the cover for US's Maxim.

8d_1_b.JPG

Kate Winslet for May's Esquire. The pictures inside are very nice, though air-brushed beyond belief as usual.

cb_1.JPG

Jennifer Garner for June's Esquire. An odd promotion choice for 13 Going on 30.

54_1.JPG

Kristen Dunst for Dazed & Confused. Almost a deja vu of Sophie Dahl's recent Harper & Queen cover.

The best UK cover has to be Kate Beckinsale for InStyle. It can be seen over in the "Star Style" section.

3f_1.JPG

Hilary Duff for July's Lucky. Ugh! This better be the best denim+best-under-$100 issue ever.

0f_1.JPG

Avril Lavigne for Nylon and Cosmo Girl.

c1_1.JPG

Kate Hudson for YM and Allure.

I hear Angelina Jolie got US Cosmopolitan. The stars of Sky Captain: The World of Tomorrows--Gwyneth Paltrow, Jude Law, and Angelina Jolie--are doing the promotional round diligently, which is rare for a would-be summer movie that has been moved to September.

David Beckham & Victoria Beckham aka Posh Spice grace the covers for both US and UK Vanity Fair. VF has had some unspectacular covers as of late: first Jackie O, then Brad Pitt, and now the Beckhams.

Originally posted by LibertyRose@Jun 3rd, 2004 - 7:19 pm
Jennifer Garner for June's Esquire. An odd promotion choice for 13 Going on 30
I thought that was Sophie Dahl at first :lol:

I got US June Vogue with Kate Hudson - the vacation ed is cute but really not that substantial at all. In fact LibertyRose is right, they completely slacked off with editorials. Imho it's a pretty bad issue, there's nothing in it that sticks in my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->