Where Are They?

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by humble balmy gore, Jun 18, 2003.

View Users: View Users
  1. humble balmy gore

humble balmy gore New Member

Does anyone know whatever happened to Kostas Murkudis,Masaki Matsushima,or Xuly Bet?
    I adored Murkudis and Matsushima.They seem to have disappeared from the planet.

2. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

Kostas is still around but currently skipping the shows (last two seasons) and playing it safe from his German headquarters :rolleyes:

Xully still selling in the small shop at Les Halles designers area in Paris getting much credit in underground circles

both are falling out of good PR... money problems hmmmm I guess :cry: :ninja:

3. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

its is sad when good designers die out becuas of money
    :cry:

4. humble balmy gore

I wish I could see more of Kostas more current work.He was amazing.It seems he should have been a big commercial hit.You can never tell.His fabrics were gorgeous.His styling I totally related too.So beautiful!
    Xuly bet got so much press in the mid/to late nineties.I loved the knits.
    I think it was ss97 or 98 that Matsushima had a really amazing mens season.I guess he can live on his perfume sales!I was all about him for a couple of years.I never saw his clothes in person,I wish I had.
    Thank you so much Lena.I knew you could help.
    Have you attended Kostas's showroom?

5. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

I was at his last Paris catwalk (the twisted rockabilly summer collection maybe one and a half year ago?) and then I met him backstage, he's VERY shy - i was planning to interview him by mail but then i got carried away... and never did contact him again.

He was selling at Onward Kashiyama in Paris and had real success with his amazing trousers (lots of important French society ladies were proudly sporting his designs), but then slowly he started fading out.. its been a hard time in designerland -since some time now...

btw, i've heard Yurgi Persoons might be also going out of business for a while :cry:

6. humble balmy gore

Thats horrible.I love persoons!I love the whole horror aesthetic he does.I have a few things by him that I cherish & wear with pride.Im really sorry to hear that.
    Murkudis got a lot of press here in America in the late nineties.I actually considered buying him when I was a buyer but was already over budget and regret not doing so.I only have a couple of his pieces.Its weird that you mention his pants because I have pair of amazing Murkudis pants made from a striped jauquard with white plastic buttons at the hem that I have worn out.They are beautiful.
    You should pursue the interview,Give him a little exposure.He is such an amazing designer.
    Its disgusting how big Italian houses get so much exposure just for the shock value when really talented people are left hungry.It angers me that the general populace are sheep and buy the marketing B.S. & cant see a good thing when its staing them in the face and buy in to the whole status-sex thing.

7. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

i completly agree humble bg, but to be honest Kostas Murkudis is not 'inspiring' me for an interview.

real shame with Yurgi.. btw, do you know a 'new-ish' Paris based designer called Ioannis Guia? I think you might like him (womenswear only , also sells in LA and NY)

8. humble balmy gore

I'm not familiar with Ioannis Guia.I am always interested in new designers.I will research him.I have no issue wearing women's clothes.I enjoy freshness.Im still toying with my own line with my friend.Its hard not to be derivative.It seem a lot of my ideas reek of Nicky G.Which is strange because Im not a huge fan of him on a conscience level. I would love to see some of your pieces.
    At my old store I sold a line of hats designed by a super talented greek lady who became quite a good friend.The line was called Memsahib.I was the only retailer for work in America.I miss her and her millenary
    This off subject but I was looking at the Philip treacy site and they still had me as a contact(new Orleans Hat).I cried for about it for 6 hours.It was really upsetting.I would love to be able to open my shop again.I miss it so much :cry:
    It will happen!

9. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

Doutn worrie you can open a wonderful shop soon! And help suport alot of amazing underground and new designers ( like me and lena :p ).

I agree alot with what you said about the big italian houses . I find it really sad. Its so hard and even amaizng desigenrs like hussien chalyan sell out some what :cry: .

I geuss thous of us who stay true to our selve sand true to our designs have a much lower chance at fame. But thats life, true inovation starts with thous who will take risks.

viva la révolution de mode!