Who has given you the best skin care advice?

Discussion in 'The Beauty Cupboard' started by PrincessGina, Sep 3, 2005.

View Users: View Users
  1. PrincessGina

PrincessGina New Member

I have combination skin, but have been using Clarins cleanser and toner for sensitive skin for a while after my skin reacted badly to another make of toner - now that this has healed up, I really need to go back to using stuff for combination skin.

Fancying a change, I spent ages going round various Chanel counters today, and each time got advised a different cleanse, tone and moisture routine!!

Im so confused, and pretty angry as well as their skin care is not cheap, and I can't afford to waste money on something that might not be right for me. :angry:

Sorry to rant, just wondered if anyone had any advice or similar experiences?

2. sofialuv

sofialuv |/mirror queen\|

I usually advise myself trough magazines and books!
    I really think that most of the times SA´s tell you what they "think" and it´s not really their knowledge they are sharing, as they are not beauticians or dermatologists.

Analise your skin carefully and trough a month and read about the skin types, then, it´s a matter of trial and error! :D

I stopped using oily skin products too late i guess. Until you are on your mid twenties, people are allways saying we have oily/combination skin, wich is really a lie.
    And i found i got better skin using normal/dry skin products than when i was using products for combination skin.

Of course i get oilier on the T-zone, but everybody does unless you have babies skin.
    And that is easily solutioned using some loose powder and some mattifying sheets, no need to use a moisturizer for this.
    But that is just me and my skin. ;)

3. Hipkitten

Hipkitten Diamond

The best skin care advice comes from:

a) my mom: Who, even at 57, has the most beautiful skin on this planet.

b) my aesthetician: Gives the greatest advice, knows my skin like the back of her hand, and is up on all the latest/greatest products.

c) tFS: Seriously. I've gotten some of the best advice/product info. from simply pursuing this site.

4. closettherapy

closettherapy New Member

Yeah~ I've found that taking advice from a complete stranger (especially one that sells beauty products) will never work. Everybody's skin is too different. My best method is to experiment.

5. Plastic'sWife

Plastic'sWife New Member

as far as products go, Makeupally.com...

skin care itself aside from products- is thru experience like everyone has stated...

6. Becky_da_da_da

Becky_da_da_da New Member

For me its been through trial and error.

I remember a bad experience though, I went to Lancome for a whole new skincare range. I spent £60 only to find it was terrible. Everything was just mixed up - I had a toner for oily skin and moisturiser for very dry skin. I hadn't noticed this because I just took what she said to be right.

Though the best person to give me advice was my mum... I guess because they went through it all when they were younger too :lol:

7. Golden_butterfly

Golden_butterfly The mod squad

I learned by using diffrent products and doing some research on skincare.

8. India

India New Member

a few weeks ago on holiday in Biarittz I just started to eat really healthily because it was difficult to snack on junk food as I was at the beach all day. literally within just 10days my skin went from being really rough and blotchy with loads of under skin spots to COMPLETELY clear... Then when I got home I started eating unhealthily again and my skin went back to how it was before, so now I'm sticking to just eating fruit, vegetables, fish and chicken and I can really notice the difference again. Also drink at least 2litres of water a day.

9. PrincessGina

PrincessGina New Member

Thanks everyone, Im gonna finish the Clarins cleanser I have, then I am thinking of trying Eve Lom cleanser as I have heard so much about it. Then I guess its just a case of trial and error ;)

10. steffanyv

steffanyv New Member

BEST Beauty Advice You've Ever Received - Quick!

There are some beauty tips we live by that are unbeknownst to most or we may need a reminder of. Let's keep it simple and share a tip or two so that we can all shine on the outside as we do on the inside!

A make-up artist taught me that...

To have porcelain finish of your make up, use BB cream and let it dry for a few minutes before adding foundation. You can get dressed or do your brows while it dries!

Who's next?!

11. steffanyv

steffanyv New Member

This has really helped with my outlook on eating better. It was a nice reminder to be better about it. Thank you!

12. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone who's said trial and error. I have sensitive, oily skin that's prone to breakouts and big pores. Basically the only problem I don't have is dryness :lol: A lot of what dermatologists gave me back in the day, and a lot of what was sold in drugstores, drove my skin to the brink. I remember when magazines were saying salicylic acid was useless and does nothing. It worked for me, and I kept using it. You really can't listen to anyone. If it feels bad, if it irritates my skin, it's out. If it works and makes things better, it's in.

Wait, I remember a piece of good advice! An SA at Aveda recommended not mixing two cleansers because that would be too harsh, but instead finding one that does what I really want it to.

Also that you can move fluid from under your eye out to your temple by patting the skin (Clarins SA).

13. eizhowa

eizhowa Active Member

Caroline Hirons. Acid toning, facial oils and cleansing with oil/balms are my favourite/staple skin care steps, and I learned them all from her :)

I can't do everything she recommends though, like using as many layers and always moisturizing, for example. Too much moisture and I break out.