Who Is The Greatest Fashion Designer?

Cristobal Balenciaga, Coco Chanel, Hubert de Givenchy, Yves Saint Laurent and Paul Poiret are my favourites, it's impossible to just pick one - they all contributed to much to fashion and design in general, each of them inspires me in different ways
although I think all the designers on the list are in their own right :flower:

"Balenciaga did the most delicious evening clothes.
Clothes aren’t delicious any more."
Diana :heart: Vreeland

tras_el_espejo.jpg

balenciaga1.jpg

"El enigma Balenciaga". Documental de estreno exclusivo en el canal GRANDES DOCUMENTALES (Hispavisión) que refleja la biografía y la obra de quién fue "maestro de modistas", Cristóbal Balenciaga.

Rodado en Nueva York, Londres, París, Madrid, San Sebastián y Guetaria, ésta última, tierra natal del creador de moda. El documental está situado en el contexto de la moda de su época y resalta la inspiración artística del autor, así como la creación de un museo que llevará su nombre. Este trabajo documental esta rodado en el formato digital 16/9.

balenciaga_espanol_story.jpg

bal1_1.gif

2000-3026.jpg
Dress,1951
No. 278873.11
Gift of Countess Mona Bismarck
Many of his designs were inspired by Spanish regional dress and influenced by paintings of the old Spanish masters. In 1968 Balenciaga closed down his fashion house in Paris noting that the type of lifestyle that had supported high fashion was disappearing.

Prior to her marriage to Count Edward Bismarck, Mona Bismarck was the wife of utilities millionaire Harrison Williams. From 1930 to the 1950s, she was always seen in society columns and fashion magazines. She shopped in Paris almost exclusively at Balenciaga, and was photographed by Cecil Beaton.

This full length strapless evening gown was made with white floral lace on a black net ground over a gray silk taffeta petticoat. A wide pink silk taffeta cummerbund is attached which extends into two long tie-panels in the back.

:blush:
52.jpg
:heart:

I voted for Coco. She is classic, which is what I lean toward. Other geniuses I adore are Carolina Herrera, Narciso Rodriquez, Badgley Mischka, Max Azria, Valentino, Michael Kors, Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein.

Surprise, surprise, I'm going with Coco Chanel! The woman practically invented women's sportswear, knits, bell bottoms, and the little black dress, not to mention No. 5. She was a revolution.

Coco Chanel: Innovator and Icon
by Aime Joseph
The Woman behind the Designs

Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel (1883-1971) may have very well been the most influential and innovative fashion designer to date. As Christian Dior put it: "With a black pullover and ten rows of pearls she revolutionized fashion." Not only is Chanel known for her little black dress and her No 5 fragrance, but also her classic and timeless suits, shoes, purses and jewelry. Her designs helped define women's fashion.

Despite the fact that Chanel did not have the breeding of the upper class, in 1912 she met the wealthy socialite, Arthur "Boy" Capel who helped her open her first hat shop in 1913. But her real break came in the early '20s during the Great Depression when Chanel, with the financial help of Capel, opened her first and now legendary shop at 31 rue Cambon.

Chanel was raised in a French orphanage. The simplistic and stark dress of the nuns and their environment influenced Chanel's designs. Her simple little black dresses, squarish suits, and almost boyish designs suits were vastly divergent from the confining and tight-fitting corsets and long dresses with petticoats. By the mid '20s, Chanel's comfortable and practical "working costume" designs flourished and she opened two boutiques: one in Paris and the other in Biarritz. Together these shops employed over 300 people. During this period, Chanel created her world-renowned No 5 fragrance.

In 1931, Chanel was hired by Samuel Goldwin for one million dollars to dress his stars, including Kathrine Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Elizabeth Taylor and Gloria Swanson. This lasted for a very short time, however, as many starlets refused her service. Later that decade, back in her hometown, Chanel designed and developed an array of costume jewelry inspired by the "art deco" movement of the '30s.

In 1939 after the fall of Paris, Chanel closed her boutiques and spent the next fifteen years of her life living in Switzerland exiled, due to her love affair with a Nazi officer. In 1954, Chanel decided to revamp her '30s designs. Some say that the popularity of Dior's "new" corseted look disgusted Chanel and gave her inspiration that had long been dorment. Once again, Chanel's designs flourished and she now was embraced by Hollywood starlets. In fact, Chanel spent much of the '50s and '60s working for various Hollywood studios, dressing the likes of Audrey Hepburn, Liz Taylor and Anne Baxter. During this time her clothing became very popular, especially in the United States.

Chanel passed away in 1971. Prior to her death, a custom Chanel suit or gown fetched as much as $12,000. In the early 80s designer Karl Lagerfeld took over the Chanel design house. Today, Lagerfeld incorporates modern designs with the already-established classic Chanel look.

The Chanel Suit
Whether it is a 1930s suit, 1960s suit, or a "millennium" suit, the classic Chanel suit has "boxy" lines. The typical suit also has braided trim and a slim skirt lined with a gold link chain. The buttons either resemble coins or are gold with the double "cc" logo displayed amid them. There is always a ribbon sewed in the waist of the skirt to prevent the blouse from slipping and the zipper is placed on the side of the skirt to enable comfort. In a sense, wearing a Chanel suit is like wearing a customized ornate costume, made to fit so that when the wearer moves, the suit still maintains perfect grace and elegance. "In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different." -Coco Chanel

To accessorize this classic suit, an excessive array of pearls, genuine and costume, simple and gold intertwined is often worn. A classic quilted Chanel handbag with the CC logo and gold shoulder would hang over the shoulder, and Chanel's trademark two-tone pumps or ballet flats would be worn on the feet.

Today the average cost of a Chanel suit is $5,000 and can only to be purchased at Chanel boutiques or at high-end department stores such as Saks Fifth Avenue. Although details such as exquisite fabrics, bias cuts and hand sewing contribute to the high cost, Chanel was a firm believer that if the costs of her products was high, then her obsessively perfect designs would truly be valued.

Mlle Chanel :blush: :cry: :heart:

COCO.jpg

Cecil Beaton
Coco Chanel, 1937

coco_chanel_b.jpg

HORST
Chanel, Paris, 1937

cover1.gif

Okay, now I have to vote for Schiaparelli just because she was Chanel's rival. Her work was so amazing and very avant-garde! :D

Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Mar 12th, 2004 - 2:21 am
Okay, now I have to vote for Schiaparelli just because she was Chanel's rival.
:shock: why 'just because she was Chanle's rival?'
whats the problem with Chanel? :wacko:

Originally posted by Lena+Mar 11th, 2004 - 6:27 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Mar 11th, 2004 - 6:27 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-purplelucrezia@Mar 12th, 2004 - 2:21 am
Okay, now I have to vote for Schiaparelli just because she was Chanel's rival.
:shock: why 'just because she was Chanle's rival?'
whats the problem with Chanel? :wacko: [/b][/quote]
Just wanted to defend her...She is incredible in her own right of course! :wink:

of course she was VERY incredible
here one of my own scap photos from a recent exhibition in Paris
(btw, new amazing Sciap exhibition premieres in Paris )

i'm very torn between Cristobel and coco, also schiaparelli and Vionnet.

How ever I dount think you can say one designer is the best, becuas honestly each designer is designing for their time, just becuas its in the past dosn't make it more important.

I voted for other but i may just have to go with YSL!Hes a master!!

1881616983.01._PE_PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

3512263.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->