Whole Foods Market, or your natural grocer

Discussion in 'The Beauty Cupboard' started by papa_levante, Oct 27, 2010.

1. papa_levante

papa_levante oh! darling

Whether it's WFM or Trader Joe's or whatever, tell us about the specialty items you buy! :woot:

I don't love all of WFM's 365 store brands. I do not like their almond butter. (I have to stir it myself.) :judge: I love their bottled water. I don't know if I feel a difference drinking their electrolyte water, but it tastes yummy!

I hope that WFM decides to become a gluten-free facility soon. I want their vegan muffins without the Big D. :sick: Their refrigerated section has amazing portabella mushrooms prepared with seasoned bell peppers stuffed inside. Everything is, on average, a dollar more than I'm willing to pay, but I pay for what I get. I stay away from their prepared foods most of the time.

They carry things that I sometimes enjoy like Sunshine Burgers (a gluten-free soy-free, vegan "burger" patty) and coconut ice-cream, veggie chips and when I'm feeling ballsy, their coconut milk yogurt.

Anyone else? :flower: If anyone's shopped at Trader Joe's, I want to know how it is! :woot:

2. lucy92

lucy92 Mod Squad Team Leader

i shop at trader joes as much as i can. (and especially after reading the very positive fortune magazine cover story about it) unfortunately, i dont live near one thats close enough to taxi home to. so i buy in dribs and drabs (luckily there's one near my work)

this is what i usually buy at trader joes (usually i'm referring to the private label trader joes brand here:(

trader joes knockoff of "pinkberry" frozen yogurt. (this is a very good-for-you treat)
    faux chorizo (this is vegan) i use it in tacos.
    pizza dough (very easy to use - i went through a big stage of making my own pizza - now that the weather is colder i may start up again!)
    keffir (this is a flavoured yogurt drink that goes down easy - its also very reasonably priced considering how yogurt prices have skyrocketed in the past ten years or so)
    kashi cereal
    soy milk
    edamame (they have a frozen and a microwave version - both are good)
    imported cheese (traders is the cheapest place for me to find cheese from spain)

i dont buy many things at whole foods market. (i find their CEO very rude and annoying) i only buy things at WF if i cant find it anywhere else - such as caperberries and certain other imported cheese.

3. The_Ida

The_Ida In Bloom

You can get these things at most supermarkets in DK...we do have some very yummy stuff widely available :D But I do wish they had soy ice cream and soy yoghurt in my local Netto

4. CarolineRose

CarolineRose New Member

I love them both! I shop at TJ's more just because it's cheaper. I love their cereal, mochi, and of course the vegetable section! They also make amazing jarred salsa. I have a friend who works at Whole Foods and loves it. They are great to their employees and train them very carefully. It does get expensive, though. I love to go there to meander around the beauty and skincare aisle, try all the testers, and then go order the products I like for half the cost at iherb :wink:

5. papa_levante

papa_levante oh! darling

:clap: Thanks everyone for sharing their local grocers. My state is the fittest in the US, yet we fail to bring in huge chain stores that can cater to our needs.

iHerb sounds like Apple taking over healthy foods. :shifty: Maybe one day we can download the vitamins we need.

6. papa_levante

papa_levante oh! darling

I found out why my state doesn't have a Trader Joe's.

According to my friend's friend who studies economics or business management or whatever... Trader Joe's won't come to my state because of alcohol laws. TJ's brews their own wines and alcoholic beverages (correct?). My state has laws against private companies outselling small businesses who sell liquor.

I believe this is correct. And honestly, TJ's should be in my state because we have continuously been voted the most fit state in America. :judge: Kind of an injustice, really..

7. CarolineRose

CarolineRose New Member

^Colorado? :D I can't not imagine not having a TJ's, I'm so sorry!

8. papa_levante

papa_levante oh! darling

Trying to keep it anonymous but yes, unfortunately. -_-

:lol:

9. ChloeFrancoise

ChloeFrancoise Active Member

I hope a Trader Joe's opens here at some point. Most supermarkets here are either Stop & Shop or Shoprite.

10. CarolineRose

CarolineRose New Member

Oops, sorry! I'd edit if I could, but maybe one of the mods could if they see this?

One thing I didn't like is the TJ's tea tree cleanser. It felt and smelled like Windex, and I normally like the smell of tea tree products. It's sooooo harsh!

11. papa_levante

papa_levante oh! darling

No worries. It's alright. No one will find me. :lol:

I want want want TJ's to come to Colorado, but the damn alcohol laws. :judge: Not only that but we have insane car sale laws too. -_- Poo.

12. Sundial

Sundial New Member

Oooh, I'm not up on Trader Joe's or Whole Foods as I don't have them here, but in general I think freshness is better than organic for fruit or veg. So if I go to my local organic store and the veg is wilting I would bypass that and get something from my general greengrocers.

Our huge local supermarket does organic grains at much cheaper than our organic shop so it's an economic choice: I'd get stuff at the organic shop which I can't get at the supermarket or is only slightly more expensive, but if there's a huge markup at the organic store, I'd get it at the supermarket.

13. Belowen

Belowen ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

We have very little specialty organic chain stores here, there are the occasional organic supermarkets here and there but they're not always easy to find. I tend to shop at the local farmer's market more than anywhere else, as they always have fresh produce at reasonable prices.

14. Neely

Neely New Member

I am a trader joe's fanatic; I truck down to the states about once a month and buy a ton of groceries, it's incredibly cheap compared to canadian prices on things like almond milk and cheese (when I used to eat it).

My favourite products
    Kettle corn
    pumpkin butter (its amazing but I'll have to make my own now without the honey)
    Their prepared choley (delicious to heat up and serve with rice, I'm a starving student with little to no time so it's perfect for a nice warm meal)
    Roasted red pepper hummus (nice when I don't have time to make my own)
    Trail mix (so many combinations, a little pricey but sooo good i like the omega mix)
    And I just bought some of their olive oil, organic pasta, couscous and quinoa.
    My sister is in loveee with their peanut butter cups which are more scrumptous than reeces!

Really would love it if tj came to canada, but in a way its kind of like a mini road trip getting there that I look forward to about once a month!

Oh and I love the farmer's markets here, they are wonderful; such a wide variety and the people are so friendly with cooking tips and suggestions.

15. katieo

katieo New Member

Hah, I grew up in colorado so also recognized it from your liquor law comment-- I can't believe TJ hasn't made it there yet!

Some of my favorite TJ items are dried cranberries, frozen edamame, shredded beef burritos, pesto pizza (pretty much all their frozen dinners :lol:), and blueberry muesli. Oh, and of course, the $3 bottles of wine and lots of TJ brand candies!

I don't shop at whole foods too often... it's more expensive than TJ and my local grocery. They do always have super good quality fruit, though.

16. papa_levante

papa_levante oh! darling

I talked to a woman that brought her TJ's bags to our store. She said that New Jersey has a store open that doesn't sell alcohol.

WHY CAN'T WE DO THAT HERE? :judge:

17. CaitlinC

CaitlinC New Member

I go to my natural grocer for vegetables, fruit, shampoo and conditioner.

#17 CaitlinC, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited by moderator lorenabupt: Nov 17, 2010
  18. papa_levante

papa_levante oh! darling

Shampoo and conditioner? Intriguing. Please share! :flower:

I have seen a beauty section at WFM, but I've never looked close enough. I know that Calm Drops are in that section, but a little Altoids-size box is $6. :shock:

19. Neely

Neely New Member

Trader Joe's definitely has a wonderful beauty section too (not to rub it in papa_levante :() they have natural shampoo and conditioner that I have yet to try. I love their soap, I bought a few for friends and they aren't tested on animals ^_^

20. papa_levante

papa_levante oh! darling

I buy St. Ives because they don't test on animals. ^_^ It even says it on the bottle, but you can get St. Ives anywhere.

I will probably email TJ's just to see what kind of response I'll get.

On their site, I read that 2 new locations opened in Manhattan. So, two stores within 3 miles of each other in one city, yet not a single ONE here. Balls.. :cry: