Why Antonio Berardi turned down Lady Gaga to design her fashion label

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
HE designed the heel-less black latex fetish boots worn by Victoria Beckham, but Antonio Berardi refuses to associate his name with celebrities just for the sake of publicity. That's why the Milan-based designer declined an offer to collaborate with the headline-grabbing performer Lady Gaga.

"I was approached to design a clothing range with Lady Gaga but I knocked it back because I wasn't interested in someone whose music is meaningless," says Berardi, whose celebrity clientele also include Megan Fox, Amber Rose, Eva Mendes and Gwyneth Paltrow.

"Her music is meaningless now so what impact will it have in 20 years?" he said in Sydney.

Berardi's approach to celebrity mirrors his own slow and considered design aesthetic.

At 41 he has been in the fashion game since the mid nineties, having graduated from the renowned Central Saint Martins which launched him, along with Alexander McQueen, Hussein Chalayan and Marc Jacobs, as one of the decade's new breed of designers.

Sicilian-born, he inherited a love of fine tailoring and undergarments from "my very strict mother" who influenced him to create dresses and jackets with near architectural accuracy.

"I always start with the underpinnings, it's something I grew up with. I had a very fierce Sicilian mother and three sisters and ... we were taught that underneath was just as important as the outside."

He believes psychologically "you feel good about what's underneath and so I'm playing ... with underwear and for Spring/Summer 2010 we did underwear really as outerwear."

Berardi's superbly cut garments have attracted the likes of Beckham and Paltrow, causing a chain-reaction of opportunities for the designer.

Having the former Spice Girl step out in his gravity-defying boots led to an avalanche of high profile red carpet moments.

The Berardi buzz has since converted into a major Milan fashion house signing him on as its creative director.

He admits the compliments and attention are welcome, but remains circumspect about his latest fifteen seconds of fame.

"Its kinda odd because I've always been doing what I do but I said to someone recently 'it's like a prawn cocktail, one minute it's kind of in vogue and the next minute its not' and its something you've always known and then suddenly its palatable again," he says.

"I guess we have a fast turn-around of designers as well in fashion and there is someone new every season and so sometimes you do have to go on the back-burner and give someone else the opportunity... but I guess after so many year it's nice to be still considered."

Despite his intensive schedule Berardi made time to visit Australia as the guest of honour for the inaugural Peroni Young Designer Awards, held in conjunction with Harpers BAZAAR at the Museum of Contemporary Art.

Berardi proved a gracious presence, reassuring rather than lecturing the young designers in competition.

A veteran of now two recessions, one in the early nineties and the recent economic crisis, Berardi is wise to the fickle side of design.

"It's the same in any industry whether it's music, film and literature, there are fashions of the time," he says. "Things come in and things go out and in all creative industries it's exactly the same."

His advice on the night to the winner Andrew Aloisio, a Hunters Hill based industrial designer was simple: "As long as you have a vision and continue to take that vision forward eventually it will come to fruition at some point and maybe it will fade away for a while, but it will come back."

The fashion comeback of 2010 is the return to the catwalk of underwear as outwear. For Berardi, the attention to detail on the female form has being an integral part of his designs' DNA.

Suddenly the rest of the fashion world is experimenting with stripping away the outer layers to reveal underwear and suggest nudity by adopting flesh tone shades.

"It's more about the inner self, it's more about the person," reflects Berardi.

"It's fundamental because from the moment you put on an undergarment that sets the tone for your day. If you are going to wear a fabulous dress you have to make sure that your underwear is just as fabulous."

He also views the nude trend as a palate cleanser to wipe the fashion plate clean ready for the beginning of a new decade of style.

"I think the feminine side is coming through and I think it is almost to put things into perspective and its 360 degrees of womanhood if you want," he says.

"It is that idea that everything has a beginning and you can dress that up, or you can dress that down, but at the end of the day the fundamentals are how you view yourself and so from the moment you consider your underpinnings... the idea is deep down there is that part of us we know is totally ours and we do it for ourselves rather than someone else."

news.com.au

lady Gaga wearing Antonio Berardi in her "poker face" video and a catwalk image from his Autumn 2008 line of the same garment.

grazia

Attachments

• lady1.jpg
    lady1.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 2
  • lady2.jpg
    lady2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 10
Antonio is the only one that sees the light! kudos to him.

completely agree with him in every aspect of his comments.

I completely agree with her. she has 2 or 3 years max and her fashion is just a bunch of silly shyt thrown together to grab headlines with the pretense of being vant-garde. yawn.

well,i think it's hilarious that she somehow thinks she's some sort of messiah for ideas and expression. the way she looks and speaks to people with such arrogance and pretension like she's a real artist. no darling,you make radio-friendly pop songs,you're not bjork. therein lies the lack of meaning he speaks about. and i am willing to bet,too,such as her so-called 'original' style at the moment thanks to stylist and editor nicola formichetti,most of her ideas are in fact dictated by other people. it's all facade.

There's some irony in him refusing Lady Gaga on grounds of meaningfulness and longevity and yet being happy to have Megan Fox as a client... :innocent:

I hate people that like everyone to fit a certain ideal that's planted in their heads. Wouldn't life be a monotonous bore if everyone was exactly like we wanted them to be, Am not too much of a Gaga fan but IMO shes an artist in that she has come up with her own style that some people might call trashy or showy. The best part is she does actually have singing talent.

^he didn't mention anything about megan fox...the editor mentioned those names.

he has let celebrities borrow/buy his clothing for events. there is nothing shocking about that.

i'm glad he is taking a stand. its clear that lady gaga wanted to hire him to be a "ghost designer" and take all the credit for herself.

she has already called "her" line the "haus of gaga". in the last interview magazine she describes it as already in progress and she was working very hard on it.

i believe lady gaga has real talent but he is right about her music being meaningless i agree with his choice she doesnt need to have a clothing line

If he is implying that he is only going to support a person's personal style because they have some meaningful talent, then he's obviously being hypocritical by lending his clothes to some talentless actress like Megan Fox. Berardi is like every other designer playing the game of free publicity, it's a simple as that and him trying to make himself look more intelligent than other designers who have supported Lady Gaga by demeaning her body of work is rather uncanny.

People may find her music meaningless, but I'd rather have her as a client rather than Megan Fox whose fame solely relies on showing off her body in the most provocative way possible and creating meaningless films.

The direction of the article is rather funny as well, beginning with him bashing Lady Gaga and then comparing his dislike of her meaningless music to how he approaches his clients like Victoria Beckham.

Oh, and Galliano and McQueen has been experimenting with underwear as outerwear and very revealing clothing this whole past decade, so I don't see why Berardi should be praised for it when people are complaining about Galliano being monotonous of his designs.

poor guy ...
definitely seeking publicity ...

it's not even him not wanting to be Lady Gaga's line designer ...
it's him telling about it ...
with Nicola Formichetti and more of his gang around her, I'm sure Gaga contacted more than just one designer to help her launch a line ...

and saying that Lady Gaga is meaningless, so you don't want yr name to be associated with, when you're friend with unvoiced, untalented Ms Beckham ....... is a bit .......
weird !

Last edited by a moderator:
My problem with Lady GaGa from the start was the praise for being 'original' and avant-garde if you will. This instantly made me judge her harder. It's hard to give her any type of credit when:

1. Her eccentric style of dressing has successfully been conquered by the likes of Roisin Murphy, Grace Jones, and of course, the Bjork - all of whom pulled this style off naturally and it was not contrived.

2. The image for me does not match the music. At the end of the day, when you strip her of this gimmicky dressing, it's just the lower end of the spectrum of pop music. It took me a while to accept that there does in fact exist fantastic pop music (scared me when my music was labeled pop but I am dealing with it.)

3. There is a bit (I'm being nice... it's a lot) of narcissism that is completely off putting.

And now, to make things worse, God forbid anyone say anything unfavourable about her. The fans will eat you alive! I saw on Perez Hilton where he was giving Berardi grief about this. I am not particularly a follower of Berardi's work, but I think it was a best decision for him not to link with this as we all know how these celebrity fashion lines go. The thing Lady GaGa and her 'Haus Of Gaga' must understand is that what they are doing can be found by someone who has excellent craftmanship and taste and creativity. Who would want a watered-down version of an amalgamation of everything that has exited out on the runways from NYC, London, Paris, Milan, and Tokyo? Not worth it. Reality will bite soon. -_-

poor guy ...
definitely seeking publicity ...

it's not even him not wanting to be Lady Gaga's line designer ...
it's him telling about it ...
with Nicola Formichetti and more of his gang around her, I'm sure Gaga contacted more than just one designer to help her launch a line ...

and saying that Lady Gaga is meaningless, so you don't want yr name to be associated with, when you're friend with unvoiced, untalented Ms Beckham ....... is a bit .......
weird !

I didn't want to say it, but thank goodness you did.

I didn't see the point of him bashing her. He could have just not commented on it, especially that people up in Vogue are actually fascinated by her. The article would have been perfectly fine without him having all the name dropping, but he wanted to part of the cool group of people who have a strong dislike for her music, but I guess the article needed to have a name to attract attention so they just had to slip in her name in there.

I mean, who wouldn't want their clothes to be seen by millions of people over the internet? People are just now finding out who McQueen is because of her Bad Romance video. He obviously thinks of himself as higher than he actually is that he doesn't need that sort of free publicity; but then ironically people are going to read the article and just discuss the Lady Gaga part and not the part where he's trying to bring back underwear as outerwear look and how he has gone through 2 recessions.

Ok, I'm kind of scared this will turn off-topic, and I agree with Salvatore when he says
The image for me does not match the music
but Gaga has in a sense re-put au goût du jour the "Factory" (Haus of Gaga is nothing more than a factory of the likes The Factory or any artists studio - Koons and Veilhan and so on ......) and promote it this way.

And I also find it amusing that now that she's there, everyone compares her to Grace Jones, Björk (I'm a HUGE fan), and Roisin ... And say she invented nothing ...
First they are not doing the same music (I would kill anyone who compare AGAIN Bjork and Gaga). We should open our History of Arts books and see who else in the early 20th century did the exact same stuff than hers .... Someone like Joséphine Baker, for instance. Anyone ? She invented a look, an attitude etc. Grace Jones to me is (just) a 1980s version of Joséphine Baker ...

Saying that Lady Gaga wants to be avant-garde ... She's nothing avant-garde, I do agree. But did she ever say she was ? (sorry if she said so ... lol) And if she was avant-garde, would she even ask Berardi (a meaningless designer according certain people in the industry) to launch a line ? She would ask one of those uncredited and freaky designers Nicolas Formichetti finds for her and her dancers (like Romain Kremer and so on).

So please ... stop pushing Gaga in the lake ... when obviously all the people you're quoting have done the same than hers ... You don't like the music, you don't like the music. Sometimes, it's just "physical". Assume it and we should move on ...

We'll have a Britney Spears, a Madonna, a Roisin, a Björk every 5 years ....
We've had them since Pop Music does exist. Why should it stop now ?

^I think Lady Gaga has said she wanted to be avante-garde, but in more of the sense of trying to not meet anyone else's expectations except her's since she was very outcasted in her school days for being "different" and still is by half of the public; and it's apparent that she doesn't care. And it's obviously being portrayed through her dressing and music and how polar the opinions are of her, much the same way as when Galliano first started; people either hated his work for Dior or were totally enthralled by its newness.

Ok, I'm kind of scared this will turn off-topic, and I agree with Salvatore when he says

but Gaga has in a sense re-put au goût du jour the "Factory" (Haus of Gaga is nothing more than a factory of the likes The Factory or any artists studio - Koons and Veilhan and so on ......) and promote it this way.

And I also find it amusing that now that she's there, everyone compares her to Grace Jones, Björk (I'm a HUGE fan), and Roisin ... And say she invented nothing ...
First they are not doing the same music (I would kill anyone who compare AGAIN Bjork and Gaga). We should open our History of Arts books and see who else in the early 20th century did the exact same stuff than hers .... Someone like Joséphine Baker, for instance. Anyone ? She invented a look, an attitude etc. Grace Jones to me is (just) a 1980s version of Joséphine Baker ...

Saying that Lady Gaga wants to be avant-garde ... She's nothing avant-garde, I do agree. But did she ever say she was ? (sorry if she said so ... lol) And if she was avant-garde, would she even ask Berardi (a meaningless designer according certain people in the industry) to launch a line ? She would ask one of those uncredited and freaky designers Nicolas Formichetti finds for her and her dancers (like Romain Kremer and so on).

So please ... stop pushing Gaga in the lake ... when obviously all the people you're quoting have done the same than hers ... You don't like the music, you don't like the music. Sometimes, it's just "physical". Assume it and we should move on ...

We'll have a Britney Spears, a Madonna, a Roisin, a Björk every 5 years ....
We've had them since Pop Music does exist. Why should it stop now ?

Well ... I'm a HUGE Bjork fan too (and I mean HUGE... :shock:) and I think it is odd to compare these two since they are completely different human beings doing completely different musics and they will safely NEVER venture into the territory of the other. BUT ... they are both known for as performance artists and for their 'weirdness' so I had to do it I suppose. To be honest, the exact match of Lady GaGa is in fact Madonna, but I think what Madonna has over Lady GaGa is this refined image and aesthetic. I don't know how to explain, but there is clearly a difference for me even if they are so very close.

I would not go as far to say her music is meaningless, but there is not much meaning to a song when it sound like a baby's first words ................. (Bad Romance).

You do however make an interesting point about Haus of GaGa comparable to The Factory. I can see that. Still however, something just does not make since with the music, the attitude, the gimmicks, the all ......

(I know I went off-topic)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->