Why are models often not credited?

Susanna-Cole

Reaction score
This is something that has been bothering me for a long time now...

How come in many magazines, in the fashion spreads and editorials with models, there's small print crediting the stylist, the hair dresser, the make-up artist, pretty much everyone BUT the model? The model comes in and does a job, just as any of the other people who work on the shoot, so doesn't it seem only fair the model should get proper credit? :blink:

In some magazines, such as Teen Vogue, they'll say "[Model's name] wears...", but it's not honestly a credit per se. And in a few magazines, models will have their names listed, and very rarely, such as in Nylon, a model is credited along with their agency, which I think is very nice. ^_^

Anyway, does any know why exactly models don't get much credit? Do you think they should have a written credit as all other people who worked on the shoot? :flower:

(Hopefully this hasn't already been discussed (sorry if it has)... it seems with a community as big as tFS, the amount of topics that haven't been noted, is scarce! :wink:)

As ruthless as it sounds it's because they're simply that - a model. In the photo they're supposed to fade into the background and let the accessories/clothes/makeup whatever they have on be the focus of the page. That's just my guess!

Harper's Bazaar credits their models at the end of the editorial or whatever. I don't know why most magazines don't, maybe they want to keep the model to themselves? :lol:

As ruthless as it sounds it's because they're simply that - a model. In the photo they're supposed to fade into the background and let the accessories/clothes/makeup whatever they have on be the focus of the page. That's just my guess!

I think this is a good guess katherine. I've seen the editorials in Hamptons magazine , and the model is credited. I don't know on what occasions the models get credit.

vogue never credits unless its a supermodel whereby they may put her name in the opening statement...like Gisele rocks this seasons hottest dresses and thats it.
I cant remember if glamour or elle credit, though most of the other mags apart from vogue credit. Do the international editions of magazines credit?

vogue never credits unless its a supermodel whereby they may put her name in the opening statement...like Gisele rocks this seasons hottest dresses and thats it.
I cant remember if glamour or elle credit, though most of the other mags apart from vogue credit. Do the international editions of magazines credit?

the french version of glamour credits the models. But vogue paris and the french elle don't credit the models.

Vogue US has been giving credits to models much more often in the last couple years.

Obvious answer: designers, magazines, and fashion glitterati don't want models to steal their thunder because they're insecure, and young beautiful models always trumps old, unattractive fashionistas with recognition and tons of money.

Obvious answer: designers, magazines, and fashion glitterati don't want models to steal their thunder because they're insecure, and young beautiful models always trumps old, unattractive fashionistas with recognition and tons of money.

:rolleyes:

Good thread Susanna-Cole:flower:

I've noticed that also.

Here in Canada, the only fashion magazine that credits the models (and also lists their agency) is Elle.
Which I think is great!

I think that all magazines should.^_^

I've asked myself that question too! It kind of bothers me because they play a very important role in the editorial. It's like making a movie and not crediting the main actor/actress!

Good thread Susanna-Cole:flower:

I've noticed that also.

Here in Canada, the only fashion magazine that credits the models (and also lists their agency) is Elle.
Which I think is great!

I think that all magazines should.^_^

it's really great that the Elle canada credits the models because the french elle doesn't credit the models :ninja:. And it's a little bit annoying because i don't know all the models!

The girls in Meisel's VI edits are sometimes credited on the final page of the edit.And Elle does it now but looking at issues from 2003 I couldn't find the model names anywhere.

Often smaller magazines credit the model and their agency... the models are new and aren't well known... bigger more prestigious magazines often don't credit the model... once they're in a mag like vogue etc.. those in the know... who might need to know and book them for another ed , campaign, whatever, will already know who they are and what agency they're with.... Whereas the makeup artist and stylist etc can't be seen, they are named, but it is expected at that level, i suppose, that the model is known by their face...I think this will start to change again ,as the public is more interested in models as people now.... more magazines will begin to credit them....

I hate it when magazines don't credit models, especially when I want to find out who they are. :lol::judge: But most magazines of seen have listed the names of the models in their eds. ^_^

Most of the magazines I've read don't credit the models... maybe I should check again.
But seriously, even the manicurist gets credited, why not the model? :judge:

Oh yeah ! Noticed that too - many mags dont credit models and I find that sad as well - as it was said, especially when you wanna know who is that model ! I wish all magas credited models- sure they are models and not designers, etc, etc, etc but it should be shared fairly and each must get a credit.

in vogue paris march...on the credit page..they even did not credit the full name of the cover girl(Iris Strubegger)...just Iris and a cruel abbreviation S.

:yuk:

and i agree most of us here..models should be get credited..they are as important as photographers and stylists..it's the respect

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zr90
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->