why fashion designers don't wear the clothes they design

As a designer I like to wear my own designs but at the same time like to wear nice clothes in general. Most designers tend to be into fashion thus like to wear different kinds of styles. Other designers are more into their craft than dressing themselves..they are similar to artists and usually have a more scruffy look.
There are also designers that mainly wear their own designs to achieve a certain signature look and act liek some sort of advert like Donatella Versace, Georgina Chapman and John Galliano/

it's terribly self-centered of a designer to only design for himself or herself. further, most designers don't have the same background as their typical customer nor do they lead the lifestyle currently of most of their customers. even when they "make it," most don't flit away their time going to charity functions, award galas, exclusive nightclubs, elitist restaurants, and unreachable resorts where their clothes reign supreme. and when they happen to, many times you will find them in their clothes

^i find that terribly condescending of you to say that mike.

why do you assume all people that buy designer have a wealthy lifestyle? you're speaking only to one part of fashion not the whole. i own designer pieces but i am aeons away from being a jet setting socialite

and i don't think it's necessarily self-centered to wear one's own work. sometimes it's a lot easier because most times it's their personality and their soul that comes out in their work. i certainly could never imagine seeing ann demeulemeester wearing another's work because with ann's collections we see so much of ann in them already. same applies to somebody like vivienne westwood. their work is them. not just style-wise but everything that goes into creation.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dunno...ann demeulemeester,véronique branquinho,an vandevorst,sophia kokosalaki,anne-valérie hash,zowie broach of boudicca,ann-sofie back & dries van noten all wear their own work. their work is incredibly personal creatively so it seems logical they would wear their own stuff.

the only designers that i've noticed that don't tend to wear their own work is kate and laura mulleavy of rodarte.

I thought Dries always wore a white shirt & khakis, or something similar :innocent:

Just wanted to note that even though Marc Jacobs designs women's clothes, the suit he wore when taking his bow for the last collection was in the show. I believe Elbaz has done that too ... a look in the show that mirrors his own. His may be my favorite designer 'uniform' ... love the shoes and the ties.

^i find that terribly condescending of you to say that mike.

why do you assume all people that buy designer have a wealthy lifestyle? you're speaking only to one part of fashion not the whole. i own designer pieces but i am aeons away from being a jet setting socialite

and i don't think it's necessarily self-centered to wear one's own work. sometimes it's a lot easier because most times it's their personality and their soul that comes out in their work. i certainly could never imagine seeing ann demeulemeester wearing another's work because with ann's collections we see so much of ann in them already. same applies to somebody like vivienne westwood. their work is them. not just style-wise but everything that goes into creation.

there's no condescending intended. christophe decarnin does not run around in parisian nightclubs. paul smith does not spend his time trading on wall street. francisco costa does not curate a gallery. peter dundas doesn't walk the red carpet for movie premieres. marc jacobs does not raise children on the leafy streets of the west village. phoebe philo is not married to a hedge-funder in shanghai. giorgio armani does not attend weddings as a bridesmaid in abu dhabi. ann demuelemeester does not have an artists' loft in berlin. rick owens does not have a russian billionaire as a boyfriend. isabel marant does not attend football matches to cheer on her soccer-playing husband. oscar de la renta does not host dinner parties for his husband's oil friends in dallas.

my point: designers have a point of view that's valid and enticing, but it's not diminished in any way by the fact that they themselves do not wear their own clothes. they, speaking in a general sense, do not carry on the lifestyles of their customers. we have exceptions, of course, but speaking as a general practice, it's just a point of fact.

taking it out of fashion: most executive chefs at restaurants don't behave like their average patron. most artists do not carry on like the people who buy their wares. architects do not lead the same lives as those for whom they design. a musician doesn't have the same ear as those who attend their shows.

I came across this thread via Google since I had similar thoughts regarding the subject...

Now what I wonder is if any designer/creative director/founder wears clothing made by other designer labels?

Last edited by a moderator:
I came across this thread via Google since I had similar thoughts regarding the subject...

Now what I wonder is if any designer/creative director/founder wears clothing made by other designer labels?

Raf Simmons wears a lot of Prada...

Marc Jacobs also wears a lot of Prada, as well as some Saint Laurent recently...

I've seen Peter Dundas in Saint Laurent a couple times.

Karl almost exclusively wears Dior Homme, Raf Simons wear A LOT of Prada and sometimes Helmut Lang, and Mary Katranzou usually bows in Azzedine Alaïa.

A lot of designers are wearing Saint Laurent and Prada.
Karl wears a lot of Dior Homme but he wears also Givenchy, Tom Ford, Thom Browne and some japanese designers (sometimes Chanel).
Nicolas G wears Margiela sometimes.
I love Marc approach because he wears menswear and womenswear. I mean, i wonder why more people don't do this. After all, a pant is a pant and a coat is a coat.

I'm surprised to not see more designers wearing Celine.

^ When Victoria Beckham isn't wearing her own clothes she usually wears Celine.

For some I think their designs are just not their personal style, others don't like to dress up, and some probably don't think they would look good in their own designs

Nicolas Ghesquière wears a Acne Studios leather jacket at Louis Vuitton’s “Series 3” exhibition ppening
image.jpg

style

^ Definitely more affordable :wink: In some cases it's obviously an issue that a man is designing women's clothes ... though I have seen Olivier Theyskens wear a woman's blouse before. I think it was Chanel rather than his own piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
versacebandana
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->