Wide Shoes

meowmix

Reaction score
Eh i'm not sure if this is even appropriate for tFS as it has NOTHING to do with style, but more of pure practicality...but I'll give it a shot.

I need to get a pair of WIDE (like a C size) casual walking shoes for my grandmother that are supercomfy as a sort of belated welcome home gift. Are there any brands specifically that carry wide shoes?

My mom has this problem. She had foot surgery.. so now it's even harder finding shoes. Try to go to Easy Spirit. Aerosoles also has some wide sizes now. But easy spirit would be your best bet. :flower:

Aerosoles are nice, actually. Thery offer some pretty decent looking shoes and they last for ages.

This may be stupid, but I'm not really a shoe nut so I don't know what this means. How do you measure whether you're an A, B or C width?

I don't think it's stupid at all...

The fact is that some manufacturers make shoes in different widths, but these are not standardized... From wikipedia.org:

Some manufacturers offer shoes of different width for the same foot length. Such shoes are then also labelled according to the width or girth of the widest part of the foot (typically measured directly behind the toes with the subject standing on both feet and wearing socks or hose).

In the Mondopoint system, the shoe size label can state in addition to the length also the width of the mean foot for which the shoe is suitable, both measured in millimetres.
A number of other ad-hoc notations for width or girth are also used. Examples include (each starting with the narrowest width:(
AAAA, AAA, AA, A, B, C, D, E, EE, EEE, EEEE
4A, 3A, 2A, A, B, C, D, E, 2E, 3E, 4E
N, M, W

None of these designations are formally standardized. The exact foot width for which these sizes are suitable can vary significantly between manufacturers. The A-E width indicators used by some US and UK shoe manufacturers are typically based on the width of the foot, and common step sizes are 1/4 inch (6 mm) or 3/16 inch (5 mm)."

I have size 7,5 G in my RM Williams shoes, for instance, and they are normal width. RM Williams are Australian, but I think we use the same system in Europe as well: E = extra narrow, F = narrow, G = normal, H = wide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. I've figured it out now though. I was just trying to figure out what the US average for women was. I guess it's B. :blush: I'm just assuming I'm average!

i find it unfair that high end designers only do their shoes in b width. i think they should also make wider widths available. if they did, i'd have my prada mustard loafers right now :cry:

^And I'd have an even BIGGER collection than I do now! Two upscale firms make C width that I know of: Bally and Ferragamo. I've only found them in the firms' boutiques or outlets, however.

^^I agree. I had pretty wide feet too, and sometimes I have to go up a half size or more to get shoes that are wide enough. My mother has even wider feet than me, so it's impossible for me to buy designer shoes for her :(

East Asian feet size are usually wider than Occidental I familiar with a little about different of the designer's form. ><
None of these designations are formally standardized. The exact foot width for which these sizes are suitable can vary significantly between manufacturers.

thank goodness im not alone on this one. i love shoes, but it kills me to try on a pair of gorgeous shoes that wont fit!!

try naturalizer.com and ninewest.com they both carry wide width shoes.

Here are some examples from naturalizer.com:

and ninewest.com:

also zappos has a lot of decent styles, like these VanEli sandals
zappos.com

ack, i have wide AND big feet all together. lol. size 10 in regular shoes like steve madden and nine west. but sometimes they're a bit tight. especially flats. so it's hard to go up in sizes for a better fit when there aren't any other sizes to go up to!

try searching zappos. it has different search criteria including widths

I have big wide feet but love nice shoes - help!

Hi People

I have a big problem. I have big feet, UK size 8-9, this wouldn't be too bad but my feet are also wide.

I love clothes but I find it really hard to get good shoes to go with my nice outfits. The only ones that seem to be available are granny confort shoes.

Does anyone know where I can buy really nice shoes that come in wider fittings or do you know any ranges that run wider than normal?

Thanks!

Chika x

I have the same problem. Usually, I buy cheaper nice looking shoes like from vintage store, that are easier to break in to shape my foot. Or you find shoes that you like, get the best fit you can and wear them in. I haven't actually found a place that makes nice wide shoes, except for Nine west (which really fits) and payless (just bought cute little heels). Payless won't last too long, but they'll fit while they do, and are really cheap (seven dollar flat, and no one guessed they were from payless). I remember when i was little, the only person who had patience enough to go shopping with me was my dad, and we'd spend hours in the store while I tried to find something that wouldn't hurt me. I'm in the same boat as you are still :smile:

feet problems

I have the same problem but worse, short and wide big feet with bunions. I keep two shoe strechers to help me. Right now one pair are in my Christian Louboutin ankle suede boots and the other in my London Sole Ballet flats.
keep trying the designers who make them wider than most. Farragarmo are the worst. :smile:

what budget are you on?
I have bee told that jimmy choo makes all feet look tiny and cute...on the high street, I am not sure what shoe brand, but I would stay away from wedges and pointy shoes

If they're leather...stuffing with wet newspaper can stretch shoes...depends if you wanna risk it as it can leave funny black marks on the inner sole of your shoe

Great call! I use to do just that to break in new hockey skates just I would wear wet gym sox instead of paper. Back on topic, I have a wide foot as well, I know it's not a huge issue for men but I've found buying half a size bigger and having a shoe repair professionally stretch them works best. Worst case I add a thin insole to compensate for the larger size.
Juicy said:
If they're leather...stuffing with wet newspaper can stretch shoes...depends if you wanna risk it as it can leave funny black marks on the inner sole of your shoe

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katiepeaches
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->