Working at a Fashion College

Reaction score
Hello!

Sorry if there is a similar thread, I did a search but couldn’t find anything…

Does anyone work for a Fashion College/School? I recently found a job that I wish to apply for and was wondering what it’s like? The job is in an administrative role. Can it act as a stepping stone into other professions within the Industry?

Also, Can anyone give me any tips on what to include in my cover letter. I’ve half written it, and have so far talked about my previous work experience and how it relates to the role. I’m not sure if I should talk about what I love about fashion because I’m worried it will come across as desperate and a little personal.

Thanks in Advance!

MagickalGoddess
:flower:

I don't work in a fashion college nor have even attended one.

However ... I honestly don't think it would help you get into the fashion biz at all. You won't be exposed to classes (unless they offer free classes as an employee benefit), you won't learn anything about fashion. You will learn about how to run an office in a school ... but that will be the same as any school ... skills that don't have anything to do with fashion.

And, along that line, a "love of fashion" probably won't impress them. They will be looking for someone who is organized, reliable, on time, works hard and someone who has business skills, like date input, good phone technique & front office skills, being able to handle various paperwork tasks, filing, etc. So you need to emphasize all of those skills.

However, I think it would be OK to just say that you would enjoy being in an environment where creative and motiviated students are persuing their careers in fashion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for your reply BetteT! :smile:

I guess you’re right about not learning about the industry in this position, but I think I’d enjoy working in that environment. The ad specifically said an interest in fashion is a must, so I threw in one sentence briefly explaining what it is I like most – the creativity and being able to express oneself.

I agree with BetteT. I have attended fashion college and now some of my very good friends work there. It won't help you branch into a fashion career, especially in Australia. You may pick up a few bits of information here and there and you'll get to see what everyone is doing and wearing on a daily basis so you will probably be up with current trends but nothing will help a career in fashion except study, hard work, work experience within the industry and networking a lot to make contacts.

However, it might be a good way for you to get a feel of what it would be like to attend fashion college and the sort of requirements and heavy workload that they expect. In that regard you would get to know if it is something that is worth pursuing at some stage. :smile:

Good luck! :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->