Working in fashion - what to wear?

Fashion Puss

Reaction score
I work in a good position in the London fashion industry. I work in a fairly creative role, sourcing fabrics and trimmings from across the world. When I first started I used to wear quite creative and interesting pieces. But over time I found that people don't seem to take you as seriously. The phrase "more style than substance" rings true here.
Now I wear quite modest stuff but still with style, its not quite as extrovert as it used to be.
Also, my working environment is a big design workroom in the basement, so it often gets hot. So I've found that cotton t-shirts (the kind you get for £5 from Hennes) are the best thing to wear. I usually accessorize with some brooches or some cool earrings.
Sometimes I feel like wearing something completely bizzarre. I often get a bit more creative at weekends and its then I take the most pleasure from clothes.
I'm interested on other peoples take of what to wear to work, especially if they work in the rag trade.

i have my business suits and stuff... but during my internships I've found that casually stylish seems to work... most of the girls in the office wear jeans... heels or flats... a cute sweater or top.. and fun jewelry...

I'm the same.

It usually depends on the fashion company I'm working with, and in my experience as a freelance Art Director, I always gear my personal look to complement the company I'm visiting that day. When I did some work for Hermés, personal style and a sense of fashion forwardness with a predilection towards even more obscure, higher-end brands other than Hermés was appreciated and complimented (even if my 'boss' there dressed much more classically). When I did worked for Prada, the look was mostly Prada, and I suspect that the iron hand of Miuccia herself had more than a bit to do with that. Meanwhile, a more casual line I did work for appreciated how my use of their product, despite being dressed down in sneakers and jeans (but maybe interesting brands, like vintage Marc Jacobs and Paul & Joe versus the usual suspects), showed them how different people can reinterpret their brand's product.

I often find that 'looking the part' works here in NYC, especially when I'm invited to join the companies for fashion events. In fact, I find that I'm often invited to these self-same events because I dress in a way that both includes and highlights the products of the company I 'represent.' Even when dressed down and casual, they always appreciate a nod to fashion forwardness. Of course, maybe the fact that I don't work in their offices makes it more appropos for me to dress up more.

i am also freelance...so i usually wear whatever i like...
of course...if i have a meeting with a client...i will wear something appropirately professional...but when shopping i need to be comfortable...
it also depends on the job...if i am going on showroom appointments...again...i have to be professional...but comfort is important as there is a lot of running from here to there...

i find that when you are freelance..it is fine and acceptable to be more eccentric in your attire (which is so fun)...i will also choose something appropriate for the client...depending on the photographer's tastes...or the taste of the person i am dressing...definitely don't dress too seexy around a female celeb...they don't like competition...but the boys love it...gay or straight...

however...when i worked at a magazine on staff...there was a certain pressure to 'fit in'...of course...being in the fashion dept meant that i had more leeway...but you could tell that people in other depts were jealous or intimidated if you got too dressed up...they assumed you were a snobby b*tch just because you dressed well...which didn't do much for inter-office relations...so i always made an effort to be more 'mainstream'...it didn't really work though...people were still obviously jealous and resentful ...an office full of women and gay men can get pretty ugly at times...

glad i'm out of there...now i can just be me...full force...:winkiss:

i work retail and go to school for fashion mrchandising, for whatever resaon i'm one of the more well versed into fashion kids and noone really makes a big deal about it. they direct all the customers to me at work when they have questions. as far as dress. of course school is whatever but for work i can't wear jeans and must have on a collared shirt at all times.

i lost that particular job so now it's back to whatever i want to wear for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Realktz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"